Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • do I really need road shoes/pedals in a road bike?
  • skybluestu
    Free Member

Is there any real reason why I couldn’t just buy some candy pedals for my new road bike to let me use same shoes on both MTB and road?

Cheers

jam-bo

No.

But they are better.

mtbtom
    Free Member

I find road pedals more comfortable for long rides. The pedal / shoe combination offers more support and I didn’t get hot-spots.

Never had that problem on the mountain bike, but you’re changing position / cadence so frequently.

scotroutes

I use Candys on my road bike in the colder months so I can wear my MW80s. I also use Candys on my touring bike (and my MTBs). I “feel” as though the SPD-SLs are better, though it could all be in my head.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

No.

stumpy01

No. I swapped from mtb pedals on the road bike to road pedals, but thinking of going back to mtb…
    I find clipping into road pedals a real ball ache compared to mtb pedals. Had them 6 months, so thought i’d be better at it by now.

jonba
    Free Member

Don’t crank brothers pedals fall apart?

Other than that, no it’ll be fine. My longest ride last year was on my cross bike with xt pedals and mtb shoes. No issues over 145 miles.

scotroutes

The Candys on my tourer have covered around 6,000 miles. Not sure what the rest have done.

skybluestu
    Free Member

Music to my ears! Cheers all

Speshpaul

road pedals have a bigger contact area so are more comfortable on hard long rides, less of a hot spot. the a mtb you move about more.
    So if you get sore feet after long hard road rides then change to road pedals. if you don’t then don’t worry.

IanW
    Free Member

You could buy and use whatever you like but proper road pedals will be better.

skybluestu
    Free Member

one of the main things alsov i want is to be able to walk off the bike rather than waddle on cleats. Im thinking recessed MTB SPD/eggbeater types would be the only choice

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No.

But they are better.

+1, flat pedals and sandles are acceptable too, there’s just varying degreas of ‘better’.

one of the main things alsov i want is to be able to walk off the bike rather than waddle on cleats. Im thinking recessed MTB SPD/eggbeater types would be the only choice

Yup, choices are either sit down with your coffee and cake, or go barefoot.

fasthaggis

road pedals Good shoes have a bigger contact area so are more comfortable on hard long rides, less of a hot spot. the a mtb you move about more.
    So if you get sore feet after long hard road rides then change to road pedals better shoes. if you don’t then don’t worry.

🙂

I know a few 1/2 cat road racers who use SPD MTB pedals and shoes. You’ll be find.

Flexible soles make it easier to walk (though less efficient to pedal). You can still slide A over T on a fully rigid MTB shoe 😳

mogrim

I’ve got Time Atacs on my road bike, can’t say I’ve ever noticed any problems with hot spots or whatever. But then I do use fairly stiff “disco slippers”, if you’re using softer shoes on the MTB it could be different.

colin9

I use toe clips.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I tend to get pins and needles in my feet if i ride mtb pedals and shoes and so when possible always ride road pedals an shoes on the longer rides

stumpy01

Speshpaul – Member
    road pedals have a bigger contact area so are more comfortable on hard long rides, less of a hot spot. the a mtb you move about more.
    So if you get sore feet after long hard road rides then change to road pedals. if you don’t then don’t worry.

I think a lot of it is down to the specific shoe. I get just as much (if not more) of a ‘hot spot’ with my road pedals/shoes as with my mtb shoes/pedals.

I went for road pedals/shoes, only because I wanted a specific pair of shoes for the road bike so i didn’t have to go out in the winter with wet/muddy shoes from a previous mountain bike ride. Seemed like I might as well get the right ‘tools for the job’, but in actual fact I haven’t noticed much difference over initally using mtb spd’s apart from clipping in on mtb pedals is loads easier.

Mister-P
    Free Member

How much walking do you road riders actually do? I can get off the bike and stride confidently into Costa in my road shoes without falling over. The ladies swoon at my sleek white disco slippers.

Scapegoat

Halfway house. PD A 600 pedals (single-sided SPD with nice big surround) and a pair of carbon soled BG Expert shoes for the summer and NW Celsius for winter. Stiff soles, plenty of power, recessed cleats so you don’t spill your espresso/macchiato, no hotspots. Same shoes for all bikes winter and summer. 😉

fasthaggis

How much walking do you road riders actually do?

I am a supercommutertourer ,I do lots of walking 😀

martymac

i use normal double sided spd pedals on all my bikes, and find that shoes which are fine on an mtb are less good on a road bike.
    i definitely need something stiffer on the road bike, ymmv.

Yak

I started with mtb shoes/ spds. It was fine for a bit, but as the rides got longer, the hotspot and lack of support became more noticeable, so bought some road shoes and pedals. IMO is it noticeably better.

The mtb shoes are mid-range race-type shoes though, not a whizzy stiffer-than-thou carbon wonder mtb race shoe, so I’d imagine the difference would be reduced if you had a really stiff mtb shoe.

elliot100
    Free Member

One issue I’ve found is that MTB shoes can rock side-to-side on pedals. This gets increasingly pronounced as the tread around the cleat wears.

Just replaced my old pair of Sidi MTB shoes with Shimano touring shoes (also MTB cleat) and the difference is very noticeable

boblo
    Free Member

No, you can wear wellies, moon boots, whatever… I ride really long days on the tourers/tandems on spd’s and similar days on the road bike with road pedals/shoes. I can walk around better with the former and I’ve convinced myself I’m more efficient with the latter.

Your £££’s, you choose. BTW, there may be a reason non of the Pro’s use mtb spd’s for road racing…

SamB
    Free Member

I’ve never understood this. I can happily jog in my cleats if I need to (using Specialized S-Works shoes, so plenty stiff!). Maybe on super slippery floors it’s a bit dodgy, but on tarmac and pavement? Really??

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah but they’re not the same as ‘normal’ shoes still are they?

chrishc777
    Free Member

m520 pedals on road bike here, with am45 shoes and baggies, add a huge camelback and a fox flux lid and sit back and enjoy the dirty looks from the roadies!

prawny

I much preferred Spesh MTB shoes and m520s to the shimano shoes and pedals I replaced them with. Felt a lot more vibration through my feel and they were uncomfortable after 30 miles. Never had any issues with the previous set up, although I accept a lot of that may have been down to the shoes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve never understood this. I can happily jog in my cleats if I need to (using Specialized S-Works shoes, so plenty stiff!). Maybe on super slippery floors it’s a bit dodgy, but on tarmac and pavement? Really??

Jog? Well I suppose you can make a jogging movement in ice skates too, but it’s not advisable. Maybe you have cat like ballance. Even if it were possible I found the cleats were trashed after a few miles walking back after a double flat, they even last noticably longer leaving the shoes in the shed with the bike rather than walking accross the car park each day in them.

Mister-P
    Free Member

m520 pedals on road bike here, with am45 shoes and baggies, add a huge camelback and a fox flux lid and sit back and enjoy the dirty looks from the roadies!

Wow, you’re so cool 5 years ago.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Ah yes, of course online dating’s where it’s at nowadays…

antigee

Mister P – Member
    How much walking do you road riders actually do? I can get off the bike and stride confidently into Costa in my road shoes without falling over.

…..but what about the urinal/face interface on the standard tiled toilet floor?

chrishc777
    Free Member

…..but what about the urinal/face interface on the standard tiled toilet floor?

Ouch!

jonathan
    Free Member

I use mtb shoes (racey carbon soled ones though) on the road. Done big rides (400km+) with no problems. But then my road bike is actually a cross bike, so can get away with… I hope 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

Ah yes, of course online dating’s where it’s at nowadays…

Nope, that is so 3 months ago. Do keep up!

chrishc777
    Free Member

😀 but seriously I do love the way they are so miserable (mostly). If I encounter another rider on the trails I’ll say hi and stop for a chat whatever they’re wearing or riding, but roadies seem so ‘clicky’

midlifecrashes

You don’t need to be attached to the pedals.

antigee

jonathan – Member
    I use mtb shoes (racey carbon soled ones though) on the road. Done big rides (400km+) with no problems. But then my road bike is actually a cross bike, so can get away with… I hope

think it helps the roadies ….before I switched to MTB shoes on my road bike I noticed the club riders in the local cafe’s looked at your legs a lot……wearing mtb shoes means no one has to check if you shave your legs – you’re not one of them

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘do I really need road shoes/pedals in a road bike?’ is closed to new replies.