Home Forums Chat Forum Do I need a Lawful development certificate?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Do I need a Lawful development certificate?
  • stonster
    Free Member

Hoping to get a loft conversion, which should be allowed under permitted development, so no planning required.  Not sure whether to apply for a lawful development certificate.  It’s £250 wasted if I don’t need it, but some places seem to suggest it makes it easier to sell or remortgage.
    Anyone not got one and wish they had?  Or had one and wish they hadn’t bothered?

HarryTuttle

I believe it’s posible to get retrospectivly so if ther’s a benefit just apply when you need one.

IANAL but looked into this when building a shepherd hut last year.

the-muffin-man

Are you in a conservation area? If so you there’s a good chance you’ll need one.

We had a small extension done last year and the cost of the cert was only £103.00 +VAT

It’s a tiny cost in the scheme of a loft conversion and buyers always want to see they’ve been done legally and to building regs.

stonster
    Free Member

No not a conservation area.  If you apply retrospectively they charge double, apparently.  I think you get a building regs completion certificate separately anyway.

poly
    Free Member

Potentially useful at the point of sale, although indemnity insurance may be an option then.  However as human nature is full of idiots are you sure you won’t upset anyone with the works – a couple of our neighbours seem to be stuck in a weird battle everytime anyone does anything to their house.  Another neighbour is being super nice to the crazy one behind it because she’s not 100% certain everything they have done is technically ok… so proof you are compliant could be useful if a neighbour turns psycho!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.