Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • do I just live with the flint round here destroying tyres?
  • xcretro
    Free Member

noticed that both rocket ron and michelin xcr dry 2 and bonty XR0 that i have been running are all getting destroyed by the sharp flint round here in Berkshire. Loads of gashes in all three sets of tyres even on sidewalls, have patched but not brilliant and dont feel like I can trust them patched in case they split on a scary downhill section.

dont supose theres much I can do bar moving or running tyres that are so well protected they weigh a tonn!

any suggestions?

njee20
    Free Member

Snakeskin Schwalbes aren’t too heavy, but are a good bit tougher.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Maxxis exo and on one eckso i found the best, plenty of flint round here..

fourbanger
    Free Member

Contact the county council, explain the issue. They’ll then Tarmac all the trails and fix the problem.

cheers_drive

I posted similar a few months back. Max is Eco or Geax TNT was the general consensus. Early days but the Saguaro TNT is very impressive so far.

xcretro
    Free Member

Contact the county council, explain the issue. They’ll then Tarmac all the trails and fix the problem.

hahaha, you obviously dont know Reading Borough Council! they only tarmac roads that are bus routes! they don’t give a shite about any other roads! let alone the trails and TBH some of the roads round here are worse than the trails!

zero-cool
    Free Member

You could just run 2 Ply tyres and take the weight penalty. Otherwise try Maxxis EXO or specialized sad carcasses.

muzzle
    Free Member

Peak District has similar tyre-shredding properties… I’ve found that Schwalbe Snakeskin tyres and On One Smorgasbord tyres (the slightly pricier ones with the reinforced sidewalls) have both stood up well.

plyphon
    Free Member

schwalbe tyres are notoriously thin anyway. especially the sidewalls.

you cant have it every way, at least not until some super compound is discovered.

until then, MTFU and run thicker tyres that suit the conditions you ride, and don’t worry about posting your bikes weight on forums 🙂

Northwind

Snakeskin is quite cut resistant but only seems to help the sidewalls- I still got loads of cuts in the tread face of mine, til I binned them for being shit. I’d look for a generally stronger tyre, rather than a weak tyre with reinforced sections.

hh45
    Free Member

Schwalbe do a DD – double defence version of some of their tyres that is expensive but works well; i.e. not too much weight penalty.

jezketley
    Free Member

I ride a lot of flinty trails and only slashed a schwalbe nobby nick. No problems with any of the regular maxxis tyres.

rob2
    Free Member

I used to live in cholsey and found maxxis tyres were pretty good round there. In contrast continental tyres were cut to bits in no time. Black chilli tyres seemed to cut up very easily. Nice biking round that way though

tomhoward

We had a guy come in to the shop a couple of times to return tyres on warranty because ‘they keep getting cuts in them’. You could try that?

br
    Free Member

When in the same situation, Chilterns, I found a Maxxis Larsen worked well as a rear. Strong plus no ‘lugs’ to catch.

This one:

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/TB73539800-26-Maxxis-LarsenTT-235/61/177

onandon
    Free Member

I also suffer from lots of Flint cuts where I ride.
    Schwalbe have been the worst for cuts, followed by bontrager.
    Onza Canis have proven to be better but I still manage to slice one a few weeks ago.

For the joy I get from riding I’ll put up with writing off a few tyres a yer from cuts.
    Very annoying when it happens but it’s almost impossible to prevent.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Cheapest solution is to get the cheap tyres, they often have a harder compound though obviously won’t grip as well.

Wozza
    Free Member

Up in the Cumbria and conti protection tyres are my choice. The one time I decided to cheap out and buy a standard folder, it spilled it’s guts first ride out.

brassneck

Geax Saguaro TNT has been top summer rubber so far, after losing a small fortune on Schwalbe, which perform but just don’t last .. I’m on the Wilts/Berks/Hants borders so I suspect you’ll get the same benefit.

Winter doesn’t seem so bad for flint cuts, but the default Bonty Mud X seems to hold up well too anyway.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘do I just live with the flint round here destroying tyres?’ is closed to new replies.