Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Do I get a HRM?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

First 50km or so I was red-lining at HONC yesterday, trying to keep with my mate. Legs went, second half was no fun……HRM will keep me from going too hard right? I’ve long thought about getting one but dont want to get yet another toy I just dont need.

Am training for a very long, multi day MTB ride in July…..starting to feel like I need to start taking things seriously.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I’m no expert but here goes with my opinion… I’ve got a polar CS200, I bought it to keep an eye on my heart rate and to see how many calories I burn during excercise sessions.

The likelihood is that I’m not getting the best out of the technology but to be honest all I do is look at my average when I get home and look at my HR when climbing a tough section.

If the guy or girl in front is pulling away I doubt a HR monitor will prevent you from wanting to try and stay with them.

RealMan
    Free Member

For intense effort it’s better to go on feel IMO. HR is delayed (put in a big effort, it takes some time for your heart rate to go up, have a rest, it takes some time for your heart rate to go down), so by the time you’ve realised you’ve gone over your limit it’s probably too late.

Better for base training I think.

crikey
    Free Member

Buy a cheap one.

My own experience is that they work less as a direct training tool and more as a way of encouraging you to focus on how much work you are doing; as above, you knew you were red-lining for 50 kms, but being able to see a higher than usual heart rate should have set off alarm bells and enabled you to make a more informed decision about the pace you were riding at.

I used to use one many years ago for training, but now I use it as you are suggesting; as a way of making sure I’m not going too hard too soon.

njee20
    Free Member

First 50km or so I was red-lining at HONC yesterday, trying to keep with my mate

Why didn’t you just slow down? How is quantification of how hard you’re trying going to help?

mcboo
    Free Member

Thanks…..I’ve just ordered a Garmin Edge 800, comes with a HRM and Cadence (which I cant see me using). I’m going to set it to alarm if I red-line, try and stay in a more comfortable zone. I guess people use them on turbos during the winter…..

Jamie
    Free Member

Sounds like you just wanted an excuse to buy an 800, as much cheaper HRM options out there.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I reckon the alarm will get annoying. I turned mine off as there is a tough climb on my regular XC loop where I peak at over 190 in granny ring, the alarm is very annoying when the only options are keep pedalling or get off.

DM52
    Free Member

I use one at the gym on my ‘cardio day’. I don’t pay too much attention to it however the biggest benefit it gives me is when I find I am struggling with the pace of whatever I am doing one look at the bpm either confirms I am at my maximum (180bpm for me) or more often than not it tells me I am in the realms of normality for that particular exercise and that subconsciously calms me down whilst maintaining the same pace.

I don’t use it on the bike at all though as I tend to view the biking as recreation whilst concentrating on gym work as training. Not being a competitive sole on the bike the training is far more intense than the riding.

njee20
    Free Member

Sounds like you just wanted an excuse to buy a 800, as much cheaper HRM options out there.

+1, that’s about the most expensive one out there, but good choice none the less!

Agree that the alarm is very annoying, both to you, and even more so to anyone around you!

mcboo
    Free Member

I needed a new gps with mapping…..HRM yes/no was the issue, price wasnt that much different.

MSP

I find knowing my heart rate very useful, and on a multi day event, it’s much better to stay within a limit and spend most of the day passing everyone who charged off up the first mountain.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Would a HRM strap not work with your old Garmin!?

mcboo
    Free Member

Nah 605 doesnt take HRM……and its bust.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Do I get a HRM?’ is closed to new replies.