Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Do bikes come with pumped up tyres?
  • ska-49
    Free Member

Ive just purchased a bike from Germany and family is bringing it over for me on the plane. I was just wondering if the tyres are pumped up therefore needing to be deflated before travel or do they come flat? Is it even necessary? Its a rocky mountain road bike.

mrmo
    Free Member

The bike will leave the shop complete, but if your buying a box to build up then the tyres will need pumping up.

Tyres go flat over time. Pressure is personal preference.

As for flying, hmm. some airlines seem to have this thing about tyre pressures, yet never seen mention of the air pressure in shocks. Personally i would never deflate the tyres, they protect the rim from baggage handlers.

ska-49
    Free Member

Sorry, should of said that its a mail order bike so its sitting in a big old box.

Thanks for the advice. Think I may leave it. Worst case scenario being new inner tubes? Better than new rims I suppose.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I dont deflate mine. No need everything is pressurised. Keep them inflated and it will protect your rims from damage.

Drac

They won’t go bang the cargo hold is pressurised.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I believe the difference in air pressure from sea level to outer space is something like 10psi, so from sea level to 30,000ft is going to be bugger all

Not necessary to let tyres, shocks etc down to fly with. Does the pilot let the plane tyres down…? 🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

Atmospheric pressure is 1 bar = 14psi. So yeah, if your wheels went into outer space in an unpressurised cargo hold, the pressure in your tyres would jump 14psi relative to pressure outside. I guess in rare circumstances this could make something happen – a tyre that’s not properly-seated could pop off the rim with a loud bang? We all know how anal airlines are regarding safety/security risks, so I’m not surprised they would want to minimise this.

scaredypants

the pressure in your tyres would jump 14psi relative to pressure outside. I guess in rare circumstances this could make something happen

Mind, pressures probably go up more even with you just sitting on the bike, never mind dropping off a kerb six feet to flat

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

What tyres for outer space?

Sorry have to ask ……………….

ska-49
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info! That cleared up all the rumours that I’ve heard over the years.. Will have to lecture my parents.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Atmospheric pressure is 1 bar = 14psi.

Ahh, OK, I wasn’t far off! 🙂

zippykona

They put pets in with the luggage never seen one explode.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Do bikes come with pumped up tyres?’ is closed to new replies.