Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • DIY guitars
  • oldgrump08
    Free Member

Anybody built up one of those guitar kits? Any good?

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Nobody tried one??

Tom-B
    Free Member

My Dad’s built one….think it cost him £100 or so for the kit-they’re really hard to ‘finish’ ie paint properly-he’s pretty handy at stuff like that and made abit of a balls up!!

As an instrument it is easily in the worst half dozen or so that I’ve ever played-impossible to set decent intonation, and had a very awkward feel to the neck. I’m sure there are better kits to be found though…..

vinnyeh

A mate built this earlier this year as his first scratchbuilt guitar. He’s since made another half a dozen by the looks of things, Might be worthwhile reading his blog.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

cheers – nice first attempt!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Never tried one but I want to now!

I am thinking of starting with the tele body and ‘hardtail’ through body strings, but strat pickups. Purely because all the affordable (to me!) strat bodies come routed for a tremelo, otherwise i’d do that: (well comfier!). Looked at warmoth but it would be getting on for £250 shipped over here just for the body 🙁 .

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

I have a Rick 330 copy kit, it was ok, took ages to get set up decently ready to build though as none of the parts quite lined up properly, so loads of measuring and faffing and dremeling to get everything lining up just right.

I know somebody else who has had a couple, hardware quality especially the machine heads is usually pretty poor, the only hardware that did get replaced straight away was the heads though,the rest when he had the time and the money. Getting the headstock right can be a pain if it’s not pre cut,be prepared to spend a long time trimming and getting a good fit on parts.be prepared to spend ages getting the finish decent.

I wouldn’t bother again. but I’m glad I did if you see what I mean.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

“Looked at warmoth but it would be getting on for £250 shipped over here just for the body”

Their necks are really absolutely superb though. You can order them with pretty much any profile you want on them, even if you want a different profile at the head stock, in the middle and at the body.they’ll do it. The quality if the finish is terrific as well. I’ve got their necks on three of my guitars and they pee all over over fender custom shop necks from a great height……..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘DIY guitars’ is closed to new replies.