Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • DIY Beef Jerky
  • Muke
    Free Member

I love the stuff, anybody tried making their own ???

jon1973
    Free Member

I had a friend who ordered a biltong oven on-line when he was a bit drunk – turns out, for his £60 he got a box with a 60w light bult mounted in the top. He made some and it tasted pretty good. Never made it myself, but there is a pretty good Aussie shop near me that sells the stuff.

I can get through packs of the stuff if I’m not carefull, so I don’t tend to buy it that often, but when I do it doesn’t hang around for long.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I used to work with some South Africans who used to go on about making it ‘bush style’. You get your long strips of meat (from what you have just shot, impala or whatever) and hang it over the branch of a tree in the sun. I don’t know for how long etc but I’m pretty sure there is nothing else to it.

This seems to match up with the bulb in a box.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I don’t know about making it but this place does the best I’ve tasted.

http://www.snoggys.com/?page_id=9

Robz
    Free Member
    uwe-r
    Free Member

Why buy it when you can drape meat over a tree?

jon1973
    Free Member

Why buy it when you can drape meat over a tree?

I think you need a warm climate for that to work, it’ll probably rot before it dried in this country. You can do it in a normal ovan though at a very low temperature.

ericemel
    Free Member

I have made it a few times – come out pretty good. You can use the defrost/fan setting on your oven.

Davesport

My lad made a biltong “oven” in his bedroom. Carboard box with said lightbulb at the bottom. Marinaded silverside strips hung from sticks across the inside of the box & 36 hours later, very tender & tasty biltong. It did reek a bit of the vinegar he’d used but well worth the effort.

scrappy
    Free Member

a south african guy in work wanted to make some, said they would be amazing and the best thing to do with meat. To be honest it was the biggest waste of steaks i’ve ever seen! Were out on a military base and meat and food is limited so wont be letting him near the food stock again!

what he did tho was make a cardboard box with ventilation holes in and hung the steak inside over a desk light. I think he covered the meat in vinegar, salt, pepper etc and other herbs, sauces before drying them. Think he left them in there for a few days. Wasnt worth the wait tho!

TooTall
    Free Member

Jerky =/= biltong

I make my own jerky now and then. I have a dehydrator I got through some American friends and it does a great job for me. Great for fruit as well.

pigyn
    Free Member

Jerky is not the same as biltong.

Jerkey is cut into very thin strips then marinated in something very sweet (BBQ style things most popular but chilli etc also work great)
    you then hang it over a smokey camp fire for a few hours until ready.

Biltong is cut into larger thicker strips, marinated in first salt then vinegar for a while (quick dip to a few hours depending on taste/quality of meat) then rubbed in flavouring and air cured somewhere warm and dry. Unless you live somewhere warm and dry (not the UK) don’t just hang it over a branch. Flies with land on it lay eggs you will eat them then be sick all over your bedroom like in that film.

A biltong box is like an inverted grow box.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘DIY Beef Jerky’ is closed to new replies.