Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,255 total)
  • DIy 700 lumen batteries inside light
  • stayhigh

IIRC some people have used it for sealing bastid batteries but not used myself.

trout
    Free Member

I have a big tin of the stuff and dip all the batteries I send out with a Troutelight good stuff it is .

but not cheap to just buy for one battery .

bobblehat
    Free Member

Hi Lipseal …. Point your light up in the sky southward ….. see if I can see it from Crosby!

If you’re down anywhere near this way after dark … or someplace in between, let me know … I could compare it with my ancient halogens while I wait for Trouties next batch of Led’s to come in.

Got itchy fingers here just AAA’ng ali to drivers and drilling the odd hole …. must see lumens!

speaker2animals

Don’t know when I will be able to have a go at one of these but really fancy it. I was wondering about improving heat dissipation so started Googling ally extrusions. Found this – http://www.birminghamaluminium.com/heatsinks_home.php

Just thought I’d share in case anyone is interested. You can also get simple ally radiant/heatsink from Maplin too. Thought if you used thermal paste between radiant and case and long screws through the radiant in to the internal heatsink you would get transfer up to the radiant. May be overkill but I’m Capt. Paranoid plus may add that pro look to the box.

norcbot
    Free Member

Trout . Can i be put on the new list for a kit please. Had a go at making one before but this one seems to be alot better than my attempt.

Blackcat. i would also need a driver please (not to fussed about the other bits if you dont have them).

lipseal
    Free Member

BH I should be able to pop down to Crosby on Thursday night, let me know if this is ok and email.

bigjim

I’ve recompiled the possible-Round-2 list from the past few pages, its a bit confusing, dunno how trout and bct keep up. If I’ve missed you or you shouldn’t be in it update the list and repost.

runswithscissors LED kit
    bobblehat 4 * 20mm xp-g
    john_walker74 LEDs & Driver
    bigjim LED kit + driver kit
    mau00149 led kit + driver kit
    norcbot led kit + driver kit
    landy813 – driver

VanHalen

by jingo it actually works!

just need some silicone to seal it up and stop the cones rattling (mis-aligned one of the angle mounts ever so slightly). no pics of inside as, quite frankly, my soldering is an embarrasment – but it works! i`ll post a pic of the finished article in a bit.

just need to sort the mount and i`ll be off.

it appears quite a tight beam so we’ll have to reserve judgement till i’ve used it in anger but its ‘bloody bright'(tm) – i can floodlight my pumptrack (about 100ft away at the bottom of my garden) from the balcony no problem.

big cheers to trout and BCT. jobs a goodun!

runswithscissors

Update No.1……
    runswithscissors LED kit + Driver kit
    bobblehat 4 * 20mm xp-g
    landy813 – driver

My 1st attempt actually works! Off to the woods to try it out tonight.

VanHalen

tee hee. could cut the case down a bit and probably will at some stage but its not heavy as it is. put a tamiya connector onto BCT`s power cable but didnt use the socket – cable is fixed to the head unit so detach the battery to charge.

all made using regular tools and good old fashioned bodging. the hardest bit was getting hte angle drilled in the right place to mount it to the box as i have nothing to hold it in place as you drill through

Clobber
    Free Member

Update No.2……
    bobblehat 4 * 20mm xp-g
    landy813 – driver
    Clobber LED kit + driver kit + 2*20mm xp-g (please)

bigjim

Looking at this, one thing that comes to mind is, would it be a good idea to chamfer the edges around the front panel holes/reflector opening, as there are a good few mm of overlap which might cut some beam spread?

bobblehat
    Free Member

List update … thanks Troutie

bobblehat 4 * 20mm xp-g + 2 pieces of lexan please!
    landy813 – driver

citizenkane
    Free Member

Looking at this, one thing that comes to mind is, would it be a good idea to chamfer the edges around the front panel holes/reflector opening, as there are a good few mm of overlap which might cut some beam spread?

Just a bit of parallax, holes are 20mm for a 19mm reflector.

lipseal
    Free Member

Nice light VH, any ideas how you will seal battery?

jazid
    Free Member

List update (my original request was missed off!)

Jazid – xpg LED Kit (incl. lexan + angle) + Driver Kit (3way + 2way)
    landy813 – driver

Any idea where we can source a micro pot. (as in http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=7076204 )

VanHalen

not sure LS. my old solution was putting it in a waterbottle and seal the cable entry

however my new frame doesnt have a bootle mount so i`ve been taping the batt direct to the toptube. i generally dont ride if its sheeting it down so i was considering judicious use of a food bag and more tape for sealing on damp evenings

alternatively i`m sure there must be some tupperware in the world that is the right size! not very pro i know but then its dark when you use it!.

trout
    Free Member

Good stuff fellas hopefully be a few more working ones along soon .

Thanks for updating the list too .

Just been making a jig to drill the stars so they may come predrilled for the reflector depending on spare time available .

damo2576
    Free Member

I’d like a kit too please but just wanted to check what kit I actaully need – I want to make the whole light – it take it thats the led kit and driver kit?

jazid
    Free Member

Damo’s (missing) update to the list

landy813 – driver
    Damo2576 – LED & Driver Kit)

Damo2576, this thread is now over 500 posts long and there is a lot of detail, however very rougly you’ll also need;
    A Hammond metal case (from maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=33690 .e.g. N82AL) – Trout’s L angle ali strip is cut for this case.
    Battery pack (e.g. 8xAA battery holder e.g. RK44X + 8 rechargable AA’s)
    Thermal conductive compund for transferring heat away from LED ( e.g.Artic Silver or own homemade epoxy)
    Various 2/3/4mm self tapping screws (the ali case is soft enough for self tappers or make your own thread with a tap/die set)
    Fibre washers to place between the screw head and led

bigjim

A Hammond metal case (from maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=33690 .e.g. N82AL) –

wonder if the plastic or alu ended version is easier?

VanHalen

the metal ended one you dont need to cut for the lexan/perspex as you use the metal plate as a guide and replace it.

the plastic ended you’ll need to cut holes as per CK’s light. i didn’t have the kit to do this nicely so went for the metal plate option. it doesnt look as smart but its about what you have the tools to do.

Clobber
    Free Member

Another Update:

landy813 – driver
    Clobber, 4xLED kit + 4xDriver kit + 2*20mm xp-g (these are for friends so I’ll make sure there is a profit for you Troutie!)

damo2576
    Free Member

@jazid – thanks

bigjim

I think I’ll add a bit extra so trout and bct are at least getting some money for their time, we must be a right pain in the proverbials…

jazid
    Free Member

Does anyone order from farnell?

BCT/Trout/Smudge – are these trimmers any good as a replacement for the resistors to allow control of the light levels?
    http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=9353461&CMP=e-2072-00001000

trout
    Free Member

No Good for controling a light as they are limited to 25 sweeps so will wear out fast if used constantly .

you could go all posh and use the Maxflex and Bflex drivers but they are $35 plus shipping from the USA.

bobblehat
    Free Member

Troutie said …. Good stuff fellas hopefully be a few more working ones along soon .

Thanks for updating the list too .

Just been making a jig to drill the stars so they may come predrilled for the reflector depending on spare time available.

Bl00dy brilliant Troutie …. pre-drilled stars … absolutely outstanding! I was ummming and arring over drilling or cutting off the reflector pins …. if you can do that I’ll be doing cartwheels (not a pretty sight … probably!)

Also, Chris, I’ve got a 300mm+ length of 20mm x 10mm x 1.5mm U channel going spare, if you’d like it FOC to distribute … could get 6 Led plates out of it. Let me know … if not, I’ll cut and donate it UK builders.

BlackCatTech
    Free Member

Pots – you really need a log potentiometer to get the best dimming results. Most presets are only available as linear track. You also need the biggest value you can get as it limits the maximum output – unless you use a switch to cut it out of the circuit.

Jazid – Just placed a Farnell order today and am likely to be placing another in the next week or so. I seem to recall Farnell did an IP65 potentiometer when I was looking for one a few years back but they were fairly expensive. Would avoid the need for a switch though.

These parts from Farnell may be of interest, either as an additional external heatsink (first one) or as alternatives to the angle, although some machining will still be needed:

By the way, Farnell also stock the Regina – I’ve just bought 10 at 92p each plus VAT – they only had 25 left when I last checked though! They were awaiting delivery last time I checked so either they didn’t get many in or they have flown off the shelves…

By the way Troutie, please put me down for two XPGs if you are doing another order – I will be ordering myself from Cutters sometime soon for the Lumicycle project but if you are ordering before then I’ll just take two of yours.

jazid
    Free Member

Bct, thanks for the reply. I was after a preset pot so I could adjust it internally and then screw the light back together, which gives me a way of setting the 2 positions <100pct on my 3 way switch beforehand to suit the ride and desired runtime. Any suggestion on the type and rating of a suitable pot?

trout
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer Bob and if it will do the job the chop it and donate it to the ones on here .

My first lot of leds have now become the second due to delays in OZ.

what happened is I have a large order coming in for my Liberators so added on 50 leds for the interest on this thread .
    but suspected there would be a delay due to the lack of comms from over there.
    so ordered 50 leds from Ledtech.de so as not to keep you all waiting
    they came in very quick and that is history .

the first lot and my others have now made it to china and are in transit hopefully to me this week .
    so I was gambleing on some more folks jumping on the ship to buy these leds too but wasnt too worried as they would come in handy for doing the Ayup-grades which seem to be a goer

landy813
    Free Member

Ledtech.de so as not to keep you all waiting
    they came in very quick and that is history

Does that mean they are slow to deliver? I am so impatient and missed the boat last time that’s where I got my stuff from to do the build, fairly expensive too due to the small amount of stuff I got.

Are these any good more lumen’s for less current?

bland

This appears to be a really interesting thread that i would love to read but i think it will take about 3 weeks.

Any chance of a condensed post of what the general gist of making one is etc etc?

wors

Chris, did you get my email yesterday?

trout
    Free Member

No all my dealing with LT have ben swift
    Cutters have also been impecable but have seemed a little slack just lately .
    and it seems they have been going through ISO accreditation and it has been taking up their time so future stuff should be quicker.

Will do Steven , have you got stock of the other resistor on board drivers or are you upgrading those too .

Jason yes just read it nothing in there to supprise but if you want to send it back I will have a look into it .

may be the non waterproof switch or connector .

Bland .condensed version .

its a killer light you can build yourself .
    most of the detail is on the first pages and lots of helpfull folks on here to help out if you get stuck .

😆

fozzyuk

CK, where did you get the 18650 holders from, home made ?

Are you charging them indidually as opposed to in series ?

john_walker74
    Free Member

Trout, just let me know when you want the money for the LEDs and I will paypal you. Could I update it to 2 kits though. Updated list below:

Another Update:

john_walker74 2* LEDs and bits & 2 * Driver
    landy813 – driver
    Clobber, 4xLED kit + 4xDriver kit + 2*20mm xp-g (these are for friends so I’ll make sure there is a profit for you Troutie!)

steelrider
    Free Member

Yet Another Update:

landy813 – driver
    Steelrider – LED kit + driver kit

bigjim

fozzy

CK, where did you get the 18650 holders from, home made ?

Are you charging them indidually as opposed to in series ?

I was thinking of buying some of the 18650 holders from digikey. They are designed to be PCB mounted but they are a lot cheaper than getting the pnes from Luminousdiy in the US and I don’t have the tools to make my own. Looks like you can wire them up fairly easily though.

I think I’ll run this light from 4×18650, just because I already have the 18650 charger and so its a cheaper route than one of smudge’s batteries & charger (sorry smudge!). I’m also converting two MTE P7 torches to run off a 2×18650 battery pack so I was going to get some holders for that anyway. Might try and bodge 2 of the 2xholders into a series 4 or might just get the flat x4 one.

I guess in the spirit of things I should see if anyone else wants any of the digikey 18650 holders, digikey’s postage is £12 so its a pain when just getting a few quids worth of stuff. I don’t want to offer to order anything other than the battery holders as I can’t be *rsed posting anything like Hammond boxes or anything. Unless anyone knows any better alternatives?

runswithscissors

Just been out for a blast in the woods to tryout my “Hamfist” light. it’s really really good, quite a narrow beam but was awesome as a helmet light and need to update my order as my buddie wants me to build him one now! Thanks for all the help from everyone on here esp. the parts suppliers…. 😆

so next update
    runswithscissors 2x LED kit + Driver kit
    landy813 – driver
    Steelrider – LED kit + driver kit

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,255 total)

The topic ‘DIy 700 lumen batteries inside light’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM