Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help with Mavic rim please
  • Mr5O
    Free Member

Help

I have just tried removing one of the eyelets from my Mavic xm 819 rim and it has sheared leaving most of the threaded section in the rim. Any tips on how to remove it????

Cheers

Bez

Hm? You mean the nipple? Eyelets aren’t threaded (why would you remove an eyelet?) When you say you tried removing whatever it was, what were you doing?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ignore Bez…..
    They are left hand thread so you could wind in a self taper or bolt as an eayout maybe?Try pouring boiling water over it to help (different expansion rate before antone asks).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bez

Ok, just googled – sorry. Those eyelets don’t look like any eyelets I’ve ever seen… tubeless rim I guess?

Who’da thunk there was even more fun to be had with tubeless? 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Kettle of boiling water, pliers, a self tapping screw etc… Have all on hand as Rorscarch says.

Whoever built it, if they built it properly, will have thread locked them in so they should be reluctant to come out at least. Just depends whether the thread lock they used was a nice Loctite blue, or have they used superglue (as has been heard of!)…

Mr5O
    Free Member

Left hand thread, that would be where I went wrong then, bugger

mmb
    Free Member

tubeless rims do use threaded eyelets and the mavic 819 is a tubeless rim bez.
    mr 5 0 you need to locate a screw extractor set, these are used to remove bolts etc that have had the head rounded or sheared off. they use a reverse thread. try your local hardware store.
    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/screw-extractor-or-sets/4609516/ you’ll also need the handle from a tapping set to hold the screw extractor while you remove the eyelet.

Bez

Yeah, I am edumacted now. The reward for my ignorance above is that I can use this new knowledge to further scoff at the crazy world of tubelessness 🙂

mmb
    Free Member

he-he fair enough! 😀

simondbarnes

mr 5 0 you need to locate a screw extractor set, these are used to remove bolts etc that have had the head rounded or sheared off. they use a reverse thread. try your local hardware store.

How are they going to work on a LH thread? Surely a self tapping screw would be a better idea?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help with Mavic rim please’ is closed to new replies.