Home Forums Bike Forum Discover Adventure Cycle Trips

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Discover Adventure Cycle Trips
  • dave_h

I quite fancy the idea of doing this

https://www.discoveradventure.com/challenges/prostate-cancer-uk-grand-depart-2025#

next year as a great incentive to stretch myself to a distance I haven’t cycled before, ride a ‘Tour Stage’ whilst raising money for a very good cause.

I’m interested to know how the DA events are ran?  I assume this will be more of a supported sportive on open roads than a L’Etape closed road experience but would like to know how they operate these runs.

Any experience’s appreciated.

ampthill

I was suprised how much that cost for a days cycling.

fossy

It’s the fund raising bit that sits badly. Raise £1,500, you pay £125, but your sponsors are actually paying for your holiday. Self fund and that shows the real cost. I’d be uncomfortable raising sponsorship, knowing most of it was paying for my holiday.

Go ride a sportive, pay the entry, and then sort out your chosen Charity to support.

scotroutes

Costs look pretty much ok to.me, based on having participated in other charity events.

When I did a LEJOG it was in support of Marie Curie. I paid the whole (c £2,500) minimum fundraising out of my own pocket and just added other donations as I received them. FWIW during a conversation with the ride organiser I found out that the cost per rider was around half of the minimum sponsorship fee. This was ten years ago.

I’ve did the Etape Loch Ness last year, for Macmillan, again paying the minimum sponsorship fee myself.

dave_h

Thanks guys for answering the questions I didn’t ask!   Where would the world be without the STW community! :-D

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I did a few events with them albeit more than 10 years ago now.

It’s not closed roads, you ride with the traffic.  I did London to Paris and although it’s open roads the route was chosen to avoid busy roads.  It was well waymarked and you got a route guide as well.  These days I guess you might be able to get a GPX as well.  The food stops were well organised with a good choice of food with great hygiene standards, and although we didn’t need it mechanical support was very good as well.

The events I did were VERY well organised and supported.  I did the Machu Picchu trek with them and paid the cost of the trip myself (roughly half) and got donations, did boot fairs etc to raise the rest.  When my friend was taken ill at Dead Woman’s Pass, the support was superb.  The weather was such that a helicopter evac looked unlikely so they had porters running in from Cuzco overnight with a stretcher and an additional Dr, so the Dr who was on the trek could stay with the rest of the group.  In the end she was helicoptered out and the additional Dr went with her.  Absolutely faultless planning and execution.

I’d go with them again in a heartbeat.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.