• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by baa.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Dirt worker – running from the mains
  • jekyll
    Free Member

Does anyone know if it’s possible to run the dirt worker (jet wash) direct from the mains socket?

I’d be interested to hear if it’s possible and what kit you need.

Junkyard
    Free Member

a 12 volt transformer with enough ampage to cope …Maplins do them.

Strangelove
    Free Member

You will need something like this Mains to 12v convertor

RichPenny
    Free Member

Don’t think maplins sell one with enough current capacity (with a cig lighter socket), I had one that was rated at 4A but wouldn’t power the DW correctly so I suspect their rating was bullshit. The one above won’t work, your best bet would be to use a PC power supply and wire the 12V output to a figure 8 socket.

BoardinBob
    Swello
    Free Member

I’m running mine off the mains with a ac/dc converter – I’m sure I got it from Maplins – works well….

racing_ralph
    Free Member

depends on the age – first batch need 8amps to start and run at 6 after that

z1ppy

mine must be an 8amp, as it runs crap on a maplins converter.

jekyll
    Free Member

Swello – do you have the specific model you use for your DW. Just bought a siverline 230/240V to 12V Converter and it’s not generating enough power for the pump.

jekyll
    Free Member

I bought the wrong converter, doh!

smurf
    Free Member

Hi all.

I’m having a clear out and found that I had an old Maplins 12v power supply that can supply something like 7amps.

Power is provided via a +ve and -ve terminal on the front of the unit (not a ciggie socket).

Happy to part with it for a few quid (although it’s pretty heavy due to the power suppliers / converters in it so postage might be a bit).

If anyone is interested in more details, let me know and I will check the spec and send on photos

smurf

(simon AT murfin DOT org DOT uk)

Paceman
    Free Member

My Dirtworker blew a couple of those Maplins convertors after 2-3 uses.

smurf
    Free Member

In case anyone _is_ interested, mine is a chunky bit of kit, about half a shoe box size and it weighs a fair bit due to the transformer in it. Whilst I’ve not tested it, I’d expect it to be up to the job

smurf

baa
    Free Member

I’ve been using one I got from Maplins can’t do linky thing, but this is
    the model http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=42702
    had it for three years no problems

Barry

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Dirt worker – running from the mains’ is closed to new replies.