Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)
  • dig out the pitchforks…..
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

linky

What an absolute ****

Jamie
    Free Member
    tpbiker
    Free Member

Thanks Jamie…i was having a moment

bearnecessities

Is it me or does that look like terrible PhotoShopping?

wwaswas

This family have been getting some stick on twitter for a few weeks;

for not letting it finish its lunch, I think.

redsox
    Free Member

While it may not be deemed as morally acceptable, and not something I’m interested in doing, but surely if it’s legal in that country then what’s the issue?

I had a roll on bacon this morning, I just didn’t take a photo of me enjoying it to put on twitter

nuke

Vile imo 👿

@redsox: This is for ‘sport’, killing for the sake of killing. I doubt they’ll be eating the lion or elephant

As someone posted on the petition link…
    “Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they’re in the game.”

MoreCashThanDash

Some of the licensed hunting is done to control numbers to help the local environment and other species. That may be the case here. Neither species is desperately endangered iirc. Getting dumb foreigners to pay for your cull makes good financial sense.

It’s their choice, I wouldn’t but it is up to them. Some people ride singlespeed ffs!

cynic-al
    Free Member

If people are genuinely bothered, why not campaign to have hunting banned?

Singling out one hunter is stupid and pointless.

oldnick

Could we organise a sort of hunger games reality show where all the contestants are hunters?

Pigface
    Free Member

I don’t get the mentality of someone who wakes up and thinks ” I want to shoot a Lion ”

mooman
    Free Member

nuke – Member

Vile imo

@redsox: This is for ‘sport’, killing for the sake of killing. I doubt they’ll be eating the lion or elephant

As someone posted on the petition link…
    “Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they’re in the game.”

And this type of shooting is not even hunting. The trackers take the wannabe Great White Hunter to where they know the animal will be .. there is no field craft of stalking skill involved.
    Rather pathetic really.

footflaps

Some people ride singlespeed ffs!

Perhaps we should allow Hunting of SS riders?

chewkw
    Free Member

What’s the point of hunting those animals? No fun at all.

For fun we should hunt those hunters instead … including the family. Then their left overs can be feed to the poor Nile crocodile.

The world is infested by maggots and nothing change …

I prefer the Predators hunting ground.

ninfan
    Free Member

‘killing for the sake of killing’

Often not actually

http://www.globaleye.org.uk/archive/summer2k/focuson/mars_pt1.html
    http://perc.org/articles/building-campfire-paradigm
    http://www.fao.org/docrep/u5200e/u5200e06.htm

Generally, hunting like this brings far, far more benefit to both local communities and wildlife than national parks or safari tourism, and a sustainable culling regime brings huge amounts of foreign cash into rural communities, meaning that poaching has reduced and the animals become protected as a community resource rather than eradicated as a pest.

albino
    Free Member

Brings this to mind

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBawB6fFhmE[/video]

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

meaning that poaching has reduced and the animals become protected as a community resource rather than eradicated as a pest.

Utter bullshit with no evidence. Want to blame it on the labour party next Zulu? While you still have a chance? Before you get your fifth banning?

(Feel free to tell us why you were banned by the way…anytime…I’m sure the forum will enjoy it.)

TuckerUK
    Free Member

If only people that complained were consistent with their animals welfare stance. Why aren’t they also complaining about Halal and Kosher meats (i.e. meats not stunned before slaughter) not having to be labelled as such, and consequently some meat product we buy has those parts of the animals that Jews and Muslims are not allowed to eat in, hence we are either unwittingly or unwillingly supporting animal cruelty.

It’s an unfortunate fact of life, that often, to protect something, one must monetise it. And of course managing livestock involves selective culling. Which is why the World Wildlife Fund use to be involved in elephant hunting until people who knew diddly squat about anything outside a town kicked up a stink.

JCL
    Free Member

Some of the licensed hunting is done to control numbers to help the local environment and other species. That may be the case here. Neither species is desperately endangered iirc. Getting dumb foreigners to pay for your cull makes good financial sense.

It’s their choice, I wouldn’t but it is up to them. Some people ride singlespeed ffs!

African Elephants are listed as vulnerable and people have been campaigning to list Lions as endangered for years (they are endangered but we wouldn’t want that getting in the way of a hunt would we?)

There is also loads of evidence that the money payed for hunt permits does nothing for the habitats or population of the animals killed. But keep believing that BS if you makes you feel better. Oh and BTW those Japanese Whalers aren’t killing whales for ‘whale research’ either.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There’s a reason why she appears in bikini tops and skimpy vests, posing with big guns and dead stuff. There’s a target audience of a few million male redneck yanks who’ll have a hard on over that pic, it’s a whole different world. To them she’s the Fred Dibnah of hunting.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If only people that complained were consistent with their animals welfare stance. Why aren’t they also complaining about Halal and Kosher meats (i.e. meats not stunned before slaughter) not having to be labelled as such, and consequently some meat product we buy has those parts of the animals that Jews and Muslims are not allowed to eat in, hence we are either unwittingly or unwillingly supporting animal cruelty.
    It’s an unfortunate fact of life, that often, to protect something, one must monetise it. And of course managing livestock involves selective culling. Which is why the World Wildlife Fund use to be involved in elephant hunting until people who knew diddly squat about anything outside a town kicked up a stink.

A late entry for straw men per word 2013.

scotroutes

Exactly the same as deer hunting in Scotland. I wouldn’t want to do it but numbers need to be controlled and if an estate can get someone to pay to do it rather than pay someone to do it, better for them.

jamj1974

To be fair it makes a change from some (and I mean some) Americans shooting other Americans because they are black and wearing a hooded sweatshirt.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Exactly the same as deer hunting in Scotland.Exactly the same as deer hunting in Scotland. I wouldn’t want to do it but numbers need to be controlled and if an estate can get someone to pay to do it rather than pay someone to do it, better for them

how on earth is it exactly like this

They are at best vaguely similar,

scotroutes

Licensed hunting.
    Controlling numbers.
    Protecting environment.
    Protecting other species.
    Getting folk to pay to do it.

Ok? Care to explain how deer hunting is any different from MCTDs scenario Mr “oh look I found an irrelevant meme”?

noteeth
    Free Member

If it’s not on the endangered list, and you kill it for the express purpose of eating it or for pest control – I’m probably ok with that. Rough-shooting to put something in the pot is just a new way of doing a very old thing. In this day and age, deer still fall into that category – lions and elephants generally don’t.

Trophy-killing for “sport”, on the other hand, is repulsive. IMO, of course.

chewkw
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

Licensed hunting.
    Controlling numbers.
    Protecting environment.
    Protecting other species.
    Getting folk to pay to do it.

Ok? Care to explain how deer hunting is any different from MCTDs scenario Mr “oh look I found an irrelevant meme”?

If you breed them then hunt as you like otherwise no.

Look at the maggots breeding all over … now you can hunt those with Benneli M4 before they mature into zombies.

🙄

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Elephant numbers in Africa are plummeting and are predicted to be close to extinction in 20 years if their rate of decline continues. Poaching is the main culprit as it’s rampant at the moment. The main problem is all the big jumbos are being killed first resulting in smaller, younger and less experienced herds which are more susceptible to further poaching and decline from natural causes which experienced Matriarchs could help avoid.

Big game hunting of such fantastic specimens depletes the gene pool of a rapidly declining species compounding the problem.

It’s utterly repulsive.

ninfan
    Free Member

Big game hunting of such fantastic specimens depletes the gene pool of a rapidly declining species

Alternatively, removing a dominant male who has led a group for some time and produced numerous offspring can serve to widen the gene pool where land pressure and group isolation has prevented this happening naturally.

Poaching is the main culprit as it’s rampant at the moment.

The poaching is getting worse again in Africa, both due to the endemic african disease of corruption, and also there has been a lot of new investment recently from China so a far bigger demand and more smuggling opportunities for Rhino horn etc. – so the hunting can put money into anti poachng effort and anti poaching patrols but also, as mentioned above, monetarising the resource increases the value of retaining them to local communities and deters the the poachers.

you kill it for the express purpose of eating it or for pest control

You say that as if ‘trophy’ hunting can only be the opposite of the above rather than a mutually beneficial side effect.

The ideal African hunting conservation ‘model’ – eg. campfire – is that if someone is prepared to pay say $50,000 to shoot ONE prime bull elephant, than that money can be used to finance either an anti-poaching team of local people for a year or to fund local communities in other ways such as schooling and healthcare. So the conservation of the species is served by taking out the odd ‘cull’ animal for a high fee.

There are also many reserves, where specific species need to be managed actively as there may be problems with Apex predators, ‘man eaters’ for example, plus in farming area’s crop protection may also be a good reason to hunt African game – I’ve heard tales of some clients being on a ’24 hour notice’ to fly anywhere to get a trophy when the opportunity comes to bag a problem animal.

Admittedly than there is the so-called ‘canned hunting’, where for example Lions in a relatively small fenced enclosure are basicly ‘farmed’ so rich hunting tourists can than, for a high fee, shoot a cornered lion in semi-natural conditions – However Its pointless to lump that together in with the valued and worthwhile ways that it can be done, as its not comparing like with like.

Edit – see this Guardian article on Elephants in the Kruger NP

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2008/feb/26/environment

noteeth
    Free Member

You say that as if ‘trophy’ hunting can only be the opposite of the above rather than a mutually beneficial side effect…its not comparing like with like

I’m not claiming that the two are always mutually-exclusive… but, in my personal opinion, paying “good money” to shoot a prime bull elephant is an activity carried out by pathetic twonks. Really, what does it prove?

As for how things are unfolding in Africa, I doubt that ideal hunting/conservation schemes are going to be enough to save the species involved. It’s window-dressing.

Coyote
    Free Member

This family have been getting some stick on twitter for a few weeks;

Good. I hope someone burns down their house with them inside it, you know killing for fun like. As for the TV “personality”, one can only hope there will be a vicious backlash and she will lose her career. Being the USA, it is unlikely that this will happen.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

IMO killing for fun demeans the person carrying out the act, we are (or should be) better than that.

ninfan
    Free Member

Well, we’ve had the argument before – but the ‘killing for fun’ epithet applies just as much to that steak/chicken on your plate when we can all survive perfectly well on a vegan diet.

99.9% of us only eat meat for ‘fun’ rather than necessity

toys19
    Free Member

ninfan, I have been extolling this moral argument for years.So any of you stone throwers have a look at the cruelty that lands on your plate. Unless you are vegans, then, as you were.

Junkyard
    Free Member

but the ‘killing for fun’ epithet applies just as much to that steak/chicken on your plate

Killing something to eat it is not the same as killing something for the fun of it.
    neither may be strictly necessary but one serves a purpose.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@ninfan – I would agree with you 100%
    However, it’s the personal gratification of taking the life yourself that seems most abhorrent to me.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am sure he could explain the joy in that if we asked nicely

toys19
    Free Member

Junky, can you explain how the purpose of satisfying a persons unnecessary desire to eat meat is more important than the purpose of another persons unnecessary desire to kill big animals?
    Neither have any value, both are cruel.
    But ironically my experience of farming tells me that its is crueler than either the elephant or the lions life/death. (I’m not justifying the big game shooting btw, I think it is pretty lame, but I cannot stand pix n mix morals)

However, it’s the personal gratification of taking the life yourself that seems most abhorrent to me.

I find it much more abhorrent, scary and unjustified for people to allow others to do their killing for them, feeling morally superior as “they do not take any pleasure in killing the animal” but do so love the taste.

ninfan
    Free Member

Killing something to eat it is not the same as killing something for the fun of it.

Both directly result in the death of an animal purely so someone can gain personal satisfaction from it, whether its a direct result or a by-product bears no standing for the ‘victim’

personal gratification of taking the life yourself that seems most abhorrent to me.

So, its Ok to gain personal gratification from cutting it up, cooking it, eating it – and even wearing it (nice leather belt/shoes anyone?) but not from squaring the circle?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘dig out the pitchforks…..’ is closed to new replies.