Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Difference between road and mtb HTII Bottom Brackets
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

Any difference between the two or can I use an mtb bottom bracket with a road chainset?

brakes
    Free Member

they’re designed for different sizes of bottom bracket shell, but otherwise no.
    i.e. it just comes down to the size of the spacer inbetween the bearings.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

I thought mtb bb’s had a longer threaded section than road bb’s, i.e. more metal threaded into the frame?

RustyMac

PROLINE85

Some MTB bb’s have extended threaded sections but most are the same road or MTB.

The only other thing to consider is the threads in the road BB shell some are italian some are english. To the best of my knowledge all MTB bb shells are english.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Makes sense Rusty Mac, would imagine Saint and the like have longer threads. Had forgotten about Italian standard 😉

bikeneil
    Free Member

The plastic center tubes are different between road and mtb, but the actual cups and bearings are the same iirc.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just removed a knackered Tiagra road bb this evening, as one bearing locked after 300 miles. Fitted an Uberbike one tonight and swapped straight over. My Tiagra cranks have a spacer fitted on the axle between the back of the crank to the BB. Mates Spesh Tiagra bike doesnt. I took the spacer out and used the alloy spacer rings a la MTB setup and runs fantastically smooth. Not tested outside as yet.

coatesy
    Free Member

If you take the time to measure them, road HT2 cups sit 1mm further out on each side, whether that’s a noticable difference is up to you to decide.

glenh
    Free Member

I use a road ht2 BB on my mountain bike (cos they are mostly identical and it was cheaper). It just requires an extra spacer iirc.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I bought an mtb ht2 bottom bracket for my cx bike by mistake, fitted if with no issues and no spacers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Difference between road and mtb HTII Bottom Brackets’ is closed to new replies.