Home Forums Chat Forum Did we decide on best app for indoor trainer?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Did we decide on best app for indoor trainer?
  • rockbus

I know been discussed a few times but with dark nights approaching need to decide what to use with my indoor trainer.

Previously only used Zwift where I have done training programs and some races. But given their increase in price I’m loathe to pay that and support them (cancelled in summer this year when normally keep going all year).

Ive a smart trainer and really just want something that will keep my fitness levels up over the winter. At present tempted by my whoosh but bit concerned that not as much racing/group rides.

What is the hive mind of STW thinking?

scotroutes

MyWash – questionable backing if that bothers you. Free though.

IndieVelo – very like Zwift. Free at the moment (though not if on Apple TV). Better physics and being upgraded rapidly.

Zwift – still the #1 for numbers/community.

Tacx – I’m probably the only user. Needs a Tacx trainer. I like it as it’s most like real life riding.

I’ve not tried any of the others

Gribs

IndieVelo is currently free and works well. It seems to get features added far quicker than zwift ever did but doesn’t have much scenery if that bothers you.

orena45

Really like Rouvy. Real life routes and scenery is much more appealing for me than the gamification of Zwift. I’m not bothered about racing. Rouvy has it but probably no where near the participation that Zwift has. Also has training plans to follow, which I’ve found to be decent.

If anyone fancies 50% off their first 2 months (and earning me some Euro), sign up via this referral link :

https://account.rouvy.com/referral?referralCode=8b683fa5-79bc-4113-9358-c7f069e7ab39

bighairydel

Another shout for MyWhoosh. Only used the workouts and the video overlay with a trainer guiding you is pretty good, if you like that sort of thing.
    And it’s free

TheGingerOne

I’m preferring Rouvy over Zwift due to the real routes which keep my brain occupied better. Fact there are fewer other riders doesn’t concern me as I turn off seeing them so that I don’t feel the need to compete against them and just ‘enjoy’ my ride.

Also no interest in racing. I should probably try a training plan, but prefer to just ride, like I do outdoors.

I use Apple TV so I think I have more limited choices though.

susepic

To come back to the OP’s question, it looks like the answer is no, we didn’t. Not as a group consensus, but suspect everyone has made their own choice.

geomickb

I have also scrapped Zwift for the same reason.

I just want to do 1hr zone 2 session and have something control my Kickr. I have a Wahoo Bolt and assume that is probably best for me?

Maybe we should haggle a Singletrack Zwift discount? Then we could all go back :-)

heavy_rat
    Free Member

I iked Zwift mainy for the racing.  Even though I was rubbish a race is a great interval session.

But because I only have time for 3 or 4  indoor rides a month I binned it off after the price increase.  In fact I was struggling to justify the cost before the increase.

I wish they did tiered pricing for those who don’t use  it everyday.

anagallis_arvensis

Indievelo…it’s free

gilesmartin81

I switched from Zwift to Rouvy this year and the way it works with my smart turbo seems different. The resistance is harder opposed to just smashing out the miles and climbs in Zwift.

It may be a setup thing or my level of fitness compared to last year though.

scotroutes

I think it’s generally accepted that Zwift gives you more km per watt than real life riding – about 10-15% depending on who you believe. It could be that Rouvy is simply more realistic.

snotrag

I just want to do 1hr zone 2 session and have something control my Kickr. I have a Wahoo Bolt and assume that is probably best for me?

The free wahoo app will do this, simply a screen with numbers on etc – dial in 160watts in ERG mode or whatever, and away you go. I binned Zwift off last year on a cost basis and I’ve actually been fine just using this – either long periods spent at controlled wattages, or using the hill simulation to do my own intervals using the gearing of the bike just like in real life.

Blackflag
    Free Member

ive just started using indievelo. Its very similar to zwift but free. i’m very pleased so far

Caher

Interestingly enough someone just did a like for like up the Alpe du Zwift V Alpe D’Huez and found not much in it:

“Can You TRULY Experience ALPE D’HUEZ on Zwift?” YouTube.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I think the answer to the OP’s question is that zwift is best if you want more of a racing and social scene but if you’re just looking to do some miles (and/or workouts) with a bit of a view then there are several cheaper/free options that are absolutely fine. My wife does a lot of zwift but if I go again over the winter I’ll probably start with indievelo. I typically watch youtube on the treadmill already.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.