Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Dog question. Old dog + New dog
  • bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

We’ve a 14 year old collie/red setter cross. Legend of a family dog, so ensconced but getting on, very loved by all.
    We are now getting a golden lab, 9 months old male. He spent the day here and is lovely.
    Old grumpy mutt sulked in her bed for most of the time, apart from in the garden where she played with him like a loon.I know my dogs but our old Bloss is worth every ounce of advice to make this work. Any tips ? I ask as three children are wavering on wanting him because of it. I think it’s just fine, they’ll find their way.

fin25
    Free Member

We have two dogs. The first was never much of a fan of other dogs. When we decided to get another dog, she always made it pretty obvious pretty quickly if there were “compatibility issues”. The dog she didn’t instantly hate was the dog we picked. Although she’s a bit of a bully to him sometimes and always steals his toys, they clearly love each other and having another dog around the home has been great for her.

If dogs don’t like each other it’s usually quite obvious, in a visceral kind of a way.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Two dogs here, although I only had Kip for a year before Whisky came along.

Even though mine are very similar in age, size and breed, they are totally different characters. Again the introduction was a bit mheh, ok in the garden, Kip very subdued and defensive in the house, I don’t think Whisky dared to lie down in sight of her for a week (although no actual fighting).

It all settled down very quickly, they both obviously look out for each other when out, and play well outside. Kipper is much calmer and seems happier with Whisky about, but there is still a dynamic between them, no shared beds or spaces, no curling up together.

I’m trying to say, as above, if it was going to be a disaster then Bloss would have made that clear. The dogs will form a bond, but it might not be as close as you imagine (or not obviously to a human) but I honestly think the dogs both benefit from the extra companionship. I would never go back to one dog, although I appreciate that the age of your Bloss could make things a little harder for her. It sounds like your whole family will look out for her, and not just get excited about the pup, which is brilliant and I’m sure will help.

Alex

We have an 8 year old placid (even for a) lab and a new bitch lab pub who we had from 3 months. He’s been done so no issues there. One of the reasons we had another one was to keep him company as he loves other dogs.

It’s been fine although she’s a hooligan and he’s a wimp so let’s her steal all his toys and basically allows her to beat him up. We were a bit worried we hadn’t done the right thing. But then just before Xmas we had to rush her to the vets (as we thought she’d eaten a metal decoration) and she came back drugged and pretty woozy.

He was so pleased to see her and quite concerned she was alright. So I reckon on balance it’s been a positive experience for him. He definitely runs about more now (mainly as he’s being chased).

Two dogs are fab.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Nn9QVQ]Amber making good use of the Murf Pillow[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Sandwich

Older female and younger male dog should work ok. She will apply some discipline when he’s too bouncy, pushy or… It will sort itself out. Try not to stress too much as the dogs will pick it up and react (badly) to it. Training the children to allow it to work out will be more difficult.

bodgy
    Free Member

You can’t teach an old dog new tricks, but old dogs can teach puppies plenty of bad habits!

dovebiker

We one had to rehome one of our two dogs because they didn’t get on, even though the’d been together since puppies (not related). Bare fangs, rip your throat-out stuff that is nothing like play fighting. Unless there’s blood and torn flesh, I doubt you have a problem.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

You can’t teach an old dog new tricks, but old dogs can teach puppies plenty of bad habits!

Like grandparents…

14 is quite an age to have to put up with a bouncy pup. Is he/she used to living with another dog or is this the first time their domain has been threatened?
    It will be easier if they are different sexes.

onehundredthidiot

We’ve a 9yo mongrel and had a lab/pointer 1yo for a month. St first the older one huffed and spent most of his time grumping at the pup. At the moment they’re both on the bed (where they shouldn’t be) playing with toys. The only time there’s grumpiness now is first thing as the pup goes from sleep in the cage to bat shit mental in approximately 15 nanoseconds which annoys the older one as he likes a lie in.

JAG

Our first dog was sulky when we got a puppy – but she got over it within a few weeks and obviously loved having her around. Our first was 3 years old when the pup arrived.

They’re both gone now and I’ve never fully gotten over losing them 🙁

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

She has always been the centre of attention and had the run of the house. We’ve looked after other dogs which have been fine but these are family members dogs she knows.
    The pup was in mental play mode the whole time so I can see why old Bloss took exception. Good to hear success stories, it did seem like we’d put a manic teenager in a room with a 90 year old and expected them to get on straight away.
    What we saw in the garden gives me hope, Bloss reverted back to a puppy chasing him around.

we’ll look at getting him the snip which should help.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Just re-read your original post, and see they’re different sexes. Go for it; she’ll love it!

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

So Humphrey moved in yesterday. I’ve forgotten how mad puppies are, so funny.
    Old Bloss had already relaxed a little, she’s grumbled and growled a few times but all good stuff.
    This morning’s caper is that Humpf wags his tail with much vigur. So much that if he catches your shin as he walks by it really hurts. Just noticed the end of his tail is bleeding. he’s ovbviosly caught it on something (door frame etc) and is now leaving small dots of blood all around the house. He’s so happy just to be looked at its impossible to stop the wagging or bandage it up…
    Anyone ever known of this ?

I’m smitten, walked for miles into the darkness last night, he’s great.

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

What am I getting wrong with posting images ? setup a Flickr account thinking it would work ????

Junkyard
    Free Member

yours

Mine

Both with gaps before the [/img so they show

Basically remove the s from https

EDIT:
    OK I dont know – read the help pages perhaps you cannot link to flickr???? but this url will work
    Humpf

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Humpf

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Dog question. Old dog + New dog’ is closed to new replies.