Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Dictionary DISASTER , help ! the difference between assumption and supposition
  • thewombles
    Free Member

hi i was just reading a book and looked up the words assumption and supposition, below is the merriam-webster deinitions, (this book uses them in the context of health care and perceptions)

Main Entry: as·sump·tion
    Pronunciation: \?-?s?m(p)-sh?n\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin assumption-, assumptio taking up, from Latin assumere
    Date: 13th century
    1 a : the taking up of a person into heaven b capitalized : August 15 observed in commemoration of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary
    2 : a taking to or upon oneself <the assumption of a new position>
    3 : the act of laying claim to or taking possession of something <the assumption of power>
    4 : arrogance, pretension
    5 a : an assuming that something is true b : a fact or statement (as a proposition, axiom, postulate, or notion) taken for granted
    6 : the taking over of another's debts

Main Entry: sup·po·si·tion
    Pronunciation: \?s?-p?-?zi-sh?n\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English supposicioun, from Anglo-French supposicion, from Late Latin supposition-, suppositio, from Latin, act of placing beneath, from supponere
    Date: 15th century
    1 : something that is supposed : hypothesis
    2 : the act of supposing

i think i understand the defintions, but am i right in thinking they could actually mean the same thing ? or am i wrong lol

thanks

walla24
    Free Member

i tried to write something intellectual and it failed… 🙁
    yes they both have similar uses….

bananaworld
    Free Member

Is it that assumptioning is more definite than suppositioning?

"I assume it might"

Vs

"I suppose it might"

genghispod
    Free Member

They are completely different words. Assuming that a 'fact or statement' is true is not the same as supposing that an educated guess (hypothesis) is true. An assumption involves an acceptance of perception whereas a supposition requires further proof due to its inherently doubtful existence.

Smee
    Free Member

assumption = something taken for granted.
    supposition = same but without any definite evidence.

bananaworld
    Free Member

So I guess supposition is not the mother of all **** ups?

thewombles
    Free Member

thanks very, much i think thats cleared it for me : )

phew !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Dictionary DISASTER , help ! the difference between assumption and supposition’ is closed to new replies.