• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by csb.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Devon – current housing market?
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

Can any locals give an insight into what the local housing market is like?
    I know the market will ultimately decide the price; just wondering how quick things are selling.

Short story: Inherited a share of a property there a few years ago, and we are now thinking of selling next spring / summer

We have a letting agent has given some information; but as a rule I take anything a letting / estate agent says with a pinch of salt.

Property type: isolated converted barn

jam-bo

depends. I’ve been keeping an eye on the market as we are deliberating whether to move or extend.

good, well priced properties move fast. on the other hand there are some that seem to have been on for ever.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’ve been keeping an eye on the lower end of the market. Unconverted barns with/without PP seem to have ridiculous asking prices, and there are hundreds of them! No wonder some have been there a year or more.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Most housing markets start to die off now and don’t properly get going until the spring. If its a holiday home, doubly so….unless some canny cash buyer is sniffing around for a bargain!

ajantom

Newton-Ashburton probably not the most popular area, especially if a remote location. Exeter and surrounding areas seem to be popular. But elsewhere in the area it depends on how close to rail links or the A38/A30/M5 it is.
    Sounds like the kind of property that needs the right person to see it and fall for it.
    Prices in general round here rose a lot 10 years ago, but seem to have flattened out a bit recently. Decent starter homes and 3/4 bed family places are obviously always popular!

csb

Suburban – that could be because barns outside of national parks and aonbs can be converted without pp under permitted development, so owners think they’re sitting on a goldmine.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Seems pretty soft. My sister has been trying to sell 2 properties for 2 years. A few very cheeky low offers but little interest. Her asking prices are lower than 2006 values.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

barns outside of national parks and aonbs can be converted without pp under permitted development,

Really? Wow! I didn’t realise that. Is that a local thing or nationwide?

csb

All England, but you’d need to check the qualifying criteria i.e is it substantively agric in current use.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Devon – current housing market?’ is closed to new replies.