• This topic has 61 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by poly.
Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Destined to be single forever…
  • ossify

Shockingly there are occasions where it’s not just the genders you’ve all assumed.

TBF, most of the examples here are personal anecdotes, and, most of us being male and the cyclist, the genders would tend to be that way round. Not necessarily anything to do with assumptions.

FB-ATB

timbaFree Member
    He said, and I quote ‘She wanted me to play tennis with her, I knew at that point I had to bin her off’
    Quite right. Love means nothing to a tennis player

👏 criminal that this went unremarked.

duncancallum

Meh.  My other half’s just glad to be rid of me….

dvnjhn

It will be fine.  We didn’t have plans, just discussed meeting up.  She had to rearrange a couple of times before and it was all cool.  However, you never know.  Could come home to my house egged if she is anything like my son’s mum…

dvnjhn

Her daughter told me (when she was 10) that her mum used to twist the bits on my bike when I was seeing her…  I think she means the barrel adjusters as I did have a brief period of unexplained gear shifting.  I had to get my mate to index it prior to most rides.  He would be like you must have been playing about with it…

redmex
    Free Member

BillMC

I can think of a couple who would ride around the woods for a few hours, take in lashings of ale on the return route,

get showered and then go at it like wild animals. These things are not mutually exclusive.

cookeaa

Partner that bikes also – worth it’s weight in gold – yup, you’ll need double the ‘gold’ to pay for the kit.

Mostly mythical though aren’t they IME.
    The number of Women that ride bikes is sadly relatively very small, and the unwanted attention they get when they do probably drives a few more away from cycling.

Me and the boss share enough common interests that we’re not struggling for conversation or things to do, and she can normally tell when I’m overdue for a bike ride by my mood so then just sends me out then.

But she has a habit of assuming my time outside of work and childcare duties is hers by default. She’s tried to enjoy cycling, but just doesn’t and forcing her on to a bike would be a cruel thing to do for both of us.

There’s a whole discussion to be had about assumed gender roles and the bad habits we pick up from our parents and wider society etc, but I don’t think anyone really wants that, it’s easier to gripe about the familiar patterns of behaviour many of us fall into.

I’m not keen on divorce or becoming single seemingly being surrounded by cheerleaders for it, I do actually love my wife.

Unfortunately for many of us riding bikes is something we really like to do but having a family and relationships has to come first, and thus ‘Mens hobbies’ (I know) often end up as the neglected aspect of our lives. All very predictable and common it seems.

dvnjhn

Right guys.  Just to clarify, I obviously didn’t say ‘hey, about meeting up this weekend I CBA, rather go cycling’.  I do have more tact than that…

mrauer

You remind me of how lucky I got…

Got divorced some 10+ years ago, then met a nice gal. She had as many bikes as I did then. Now there are 3 road bikes on the living room wall – 2 of hers, one of mine. And she has 6 bikes while I got just 5.

Things are good.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Road bikes? Hmmmmm.

mrauer

MTBs are in the garage of course!

Road bikes are more art than ridden. And always meticulously cleaned after that summer sunday ride. Neither of us loves road riding that much – there are cars on the roads, after all.

dudeofdoom

The acceptance came in our relationship when Mrs Binners put this framed print up in the dining room as there’s invariably a bike in there. My road bike is leaning against the table at the moment 😀

TBH I was surprised that Mrs DoD told me to leave my mtb in the living room next to the table which is already the home of  my gravel bike 🙂

vickymegalith

Fwiw I think just being honest – as someone else suggested, “it’s been really hectic and I could really do with having this weekend to myself and some bike time” – is definitely the best way to go. If you can’t be honest with each other and give each other a bit of space when you need it that’s a problem, I think. Rather than a problem about how much time is reasonable to spend with your bikes. Feeling obliged to fib about it isn’t a good sign, maybe. I can’t really imagine any more what it’d be like to have to compromise and share my time or consider anyone else, but that’s not very healthy! And with that, I’m off out to the garage to unhealthily spend time with the old MTB that’s stuck on the turbo!

MoreCashThanDash

Me and the boss share enough common interests that we’re not struggling for conversation or things to do, and she can normally tell when I’m overdue for a bike ride by my mood so then just sends me out then

Though I’m noticing a greater correlation between “You haven’t been out on your bike – it would do you good to get out” and it being dangerous rush hour traffic…..she’s more cunning than I first thought

nickfrog
    Free Member

Mostly mythical though aren’t they IME.

The number of Women that ride bikes is sadly relatively very small,

Agreed, hence my point they they are worth their weight in gold IME.

billabong987

My tactic has always been to make it very clear on the first date that half of the weekend is bike riding/whatever hobby I’m into time, no ifs buts or maybes. It’s worked well so far.

frankconway

So you’re (still) single then…

billabong987

I’m flattered but sorry I’m currently taken. I’ll be sure to let you know if that changes though.

tjagain

Jeepers

Mrs Tj was a cyclist.   2 of my female pals are cyclists both quicker than me.   I cannot imagine being in a relationship where i could not share my passion for wandering around the scenery by bike.

piemonster

Though I’m noticing a greater correlation between “You haven’t been out on your bike – it would do you good to get out” and it being dangerous rush hour traffic…..she’s more cunning than I first thought

You know that she knows that you know. But…. you get to go out on your bike, so roll with it I reckon.

poly
    Free Member

The number of Women that ride bikes is sadly relatively very small, and the unwanted attention they get when they do probably drives a few more away from cycling.

Not as rare as you think.  They might not be as obsessive about it, and perhaps to reinforce the stereotypes they might (in general) not be about the gnar or riding until you hit the wall but there’s plenty of women on bikes.  As TJ says:

Mrs Tj was a cyclist.   2 of my female pals are cyclists both quicker than me.   I cannot imagine being in a relationship where i could not share my passion for wandering around the scenery by bike.

Of the “cyclists” I know at least 1/3rd are women – most could either kick my ass on speed or technical skills, and a few of them on both.  Of the women I know well, the majority would be quite happy to hop on a bike and go for at least a leisurely cycle for a few hours.  I’d respectfully suggest that if you are finding it hard to maintain a long term relationship AND spending huge amounts of time on bikes without them – the two factors may well be linked.  If your “identity” is very much about fitness / outdoors / active etc – then if your “search criteria” for partners isn’t at least considering that then you are bound to fail.  That doesn’t mean you can never date non-cyclists, there’s plenty of female runners, plenty of hill walkers, and even plenty who are less active but quite like their own space whilst you go off to play.  I’d also suggest that since cycling is actually fun, many women would do it if encouraged the right way by a supportive partner – you might need to compromise on climbs, distance, duration or technicality if you want any less experienced rider to have fun.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.