Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • despite owning three properties,she had been forced to apply for housing benefit
  • lightman
    Free Member

She said that despite owning three properties, she had been forced to apply for housing benefit and is also considering applying for jobseekers allowance.

Stella English.
    Just read this and Im not sure how that works!
    Is she maybe planning to become an MP and that will help her get her foot in the door, or is it just possible that the “properties” she owns are just small sheds to keep her bikes in!

binners

She’d never make an MP. She’s knocked backed £100,000 a year for sitting around doing nowt. That’s our elected representatives raison d’etre

mrmo
    Free Member

surprised by the assests not being considered. No issue with the income support/job seekers, you pay into system to get when needed.

But to have three houses! sell one and that is you set for a while, although i suspect she doesn’t own three houses but has interest only mortgages on three! I wouldn’t want to be her tenant when the boiler dies!!!

MoreCashThanDash

There is usually an income/savings test, as a lot of the retired tenants I work with like to tell me they are just above “the threshold”, would have though assets would be checked as well.

grahamg
    Free Member

She can apply all she wants. She’ll get what she’s due – buggerall

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

She said that despite owning three properties, she had been forced to apply for housing benefit and is also considering applying for jobseekers allowance.

Saw that too. Seems like she’s clever enough to win the apprentice but not clever enough to think about selling one of her houses to cover some of her other expenses/reduce her costs.

I’m still not entirely convinced that it’s not just a massive publicity stunt that she thinks will help her get into another high flying position though…

z1ppy

damn, wot graham said. You get job seeker allowance if you paid into the system for a couple of years, but that doesn’t last long then you get assessed for income support & then they’ll tell you to do one…

TBF the houses may not be worth more than the mortgage, dependant on when she bought them, so selling them may not be an option she wants or is financially viable to take (end up with lots of debt and no assets)

southbeds
    Free Member

I know what she could sell

zilog6128

100k job and now just £200 in the bank? What a prize plum.

leffeboy

She has 3 mortgages so she only has £200 in the bank and ??? in assets? sympathy=0

edlong
    Free Member

I’m still not entirely convinced that it’s not just a massive publicity stunt that she thinks will help her get into another high flying position though…

D’you think that having taken your previous employer to a tribunal makes you more attractive to other potential employers? I’d have thought the opposite…

crazy-legs

I think she was counting on winning lots of money off Lord Surallen but its all backfired horribly and now she’s going for the sympathy vote.

As an aside, who’s that rubber faced Freddie Mercury lookalike from the previous Apprentice? Cos I saw him walking round the Cycle Show today. Chewing gum, wearing a ghastly suit and peering at an iThing. Maybe he’s trying to pitch his latest idea to Team Sky or something.

jon1973
    Free Member

D’you think that having taken your previous employer to a tribunal makes you more attractive to other potential employers?

Maybe if your potential ’employer’ is Celebrity Big Brother or I’m a Celebrity, it may help. That’s probably the next time we’ll see her in the papers.

kevj
    Free Member

Southbeds – Member
    I know what she could sell

Lord Sugar said he was trying to help her out by offering her a new position because she had complained of being “desperate for money”.

What position are you proposing? 😀

CountZero

Lord Sugar probably told her to adopt the position, and she miss-heard… 😉

bearnecessities

Bloody BBC. It’s Jobseeker’s. 😀

JSA can be contribution based, although it will exhaust after 6 months.

I don’t know rules on HB, but nothing to get irate about here – she’s “applied”, nothing to suggest it was awarded.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well, playing devils advocate, would we expect a poor person to sell all their assets before claiming benefits? There are plenty of poor people on the council estate near where I work with nice cars on their drives, caravans and big screen TV’s. Not 3 houses, but some assets to dispose of before claiming.

bearnecessities

There are plenty of poor people on the council estate near where I work with nice cars on their drives, caravans and big screen TV’s. Not 3 houses, but some assets to dispose of before claiming.

Would you like to cost/benefit the administration of that policy?!

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

@edlong

Not really, but then again I don’t think that going on the apprentice makes you a particularly attractive prospect to any employer.

That is unless employers like arrogant, deluded, self aggrandizing knob jockeys.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘despite owning three properties,she had been forced to apply for housing benefit’ is closed to new replies.