Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Derby bmx track (and any other ones in Derbyshire)
  • joemarshall
    Free Member

We were at Rushcliffe the other day, and it turns out that daughter dearest really likes zooming on her bike down the bmx track there.

We’re over in Belper, and I was thinking of taking her to another ‘zooming train track’ (her words) on Thursday. Does anyone know where there are some good bmx or pump tracks in our area. I’m thinking official ones rather than the local woodland jumps, as she is more at a tabletop / safe pairs of doubles with something between level than being actually able to jump over the pits of doom on many of our local unofficial tracks. Plus she just rides over the jumps, so public jumps built for a bit of kids riding over the top make more sense than messing with some teenager’s hard shovel work.

I’ve seen Derby bmx track – how dodgy an area is that in – am I going to be okay locking up my bike and trailer while she goes to ride the track? And how big and unforgiving is it (compared to Rushcliffe which was nice and fast but nothing very big).

funkynick

It’s been a while since I rode past the Derby one, but if I remember correctly then there is a place that you can lock your bike up right next to the BMX track, which is situated in a park, so I don’t think you’ll have any problems with that.

As to the track, there are some good pics of it about on the internet, although it’s quite a big one… they held the nationals there recently I think… at least there are signs for it up on the A6 at the moment!

There is a new track out at Clifton that got built last year I think, although I’ve never been to that one, and there is also a smaller track in Bulwell.

Not sure about pump tracks though… don’t think I have ever seen one around these parts…

tracknicko
    Free Member

mansfield
    bulwell
    chessy
    derby (huge)
    bolehills
    wincobank
    kimberworth
    brampton
    and…. there’s one at a park near chapletown that i forget the name of.

ummmm. plenty to go on. bolehills is THE original play track. nice vibe, much less ‘racey’ than some.

derby is HUGE.

bulwell chessy and wincobank are downhill (ish). (winko most downhill but i wouldn’t lock a bike up there…)

kimberworth and mansfield are hard going IMO, very pedally. but also ‘safer’ in that they are mellow.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Not sure about pump tracks though… don’t think I have ever seen one around these parts…

The sign at Rushcliffe says ‘bmx / 4x / pump track’ – it kind of seems like a slightly downhill bmx track to me, but I am no expert on these things at all.

mansfield
    bulwell
    chessy
    derby (huge)
    bolehills
    wincobank
    kimberworth
    brampton
    and…. there’s one at a park near chp that i forget the name of.

Brilliant, that’s quite a list. Thanks.

I’m thinking I’ll give Derby a go – I’m guessing early on a Thursday morning it won’t be super busy, even in the holidays? From this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWAjAjY5-0E) that bit of it looks like just the sort of thing we’re looking for – ie. I’m not too terrified just looking at it! It’s also a sensible distance away – is hard work towing daughter dearest + trailer + her bike long distances up towards Sheffield / across to Mansfield way, whereas the way to Derby and Alvaston is flat.

joemarshall
    Free Member

The sign at Rushcliffe says ‘bmx / 4x / pump track’ – it kind of seems like a slightly downhill bmx track to me, but I am no expert on these things at all.

mansfield
    bulwell
    chessy
    derby (huge)
    bolehills
    wincobank
    kimberworth
    brampton
    and…. there’s one at a park near chp that i forget the name of.

Brilliant, that’s quite a list. Thanks.

I’m thinking I’ll give Derby a go – I’m guessing early on a Thursday morning it won’t be super busy, even in the holidays? From this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWAjAjY5-0E) that bit of it looks like just the sort of thing we’re looking for – ie. I’m not too terrified just looking at it! It’s also a sensible distance away – is hard work towing daughter dearest + trailer + her bike long distances up towards Sheffield / across to Mansfield way, whereas the way to Derby and Alvaston is flat.

tracknicko
    Free Member

furry muff. just (IMO) i will NEVER jump much at Derby. the commitment/speed required for Derby is just out of this world.

whereas all the other tracks on that list have jumps for mortals.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve seen Derby bmx track – how dodgy an area is that in – am I going to be okay locking up my bike and trailer while she goes to ride the track? And how big and unforgiving is it (compared to Rushcliffe which was nice and fast but nothing very big).

Alvaston’s fine, it’s not Surrey but your bike will be fine locked at the side of the track, or why not give it a go, the local CX races used to use it!

The track’s pretty big and imtimidating but it’s all rollable.

Nice-ish ride allong the river to get to it too.

MoreCashThanDash

If you are towing her down on a trailer, pick up the riverside path at Darley Abbey and follow it down through the city centre, out through Pride Park to get there. Also easy stops for snacks in the city centre or pride park if little one gets hungry

Quite a nice ride in to the Big City

(Sorry, I’m assuming you don’t already know this, which you probably do!)

joemarshall
    Free Member

Alvaston’s fine, it’s not Surrey but your bike will be fine locked at the side of the track, or why not give it a go, the local CX races used to use it!

I’d love to, but her majesty doesn’t really have the sense to ride things on her own without daddy running alongside yet, and quite often gets stuck half way up any steep jumps! I think it might be a bit much on 23mm tyres with a bike trailer attached anyway.

furry muff. just (IMO) i will NEVER jump much at Derby. the commitment/speed required for Derby is just out of this world.

We’ll not be doing proper jumping, she’ll just be zooming around on her little bike. It appears from their website that there is a pump track & skatepark for if the main track is too big (which it probably is from the sound of it), and if the worst comes to the worst and it’s all too mental, or the track is busy with people, it’s a new park with new swings to play on, and there’s a tearoom, so she’ll have a good day.

tracknicko
    Free Member

cool. go have a play – nowt to lose. if the pump track is still to the right of the start hill its quite tight!

(i personally dont think pump tracks are the best places for kids to learn – but this is an opinion thing…)

if anything the ‘bigness’ of derby might be best for her. you deffo get more ‘swoosh’ rolling up and down bigger jumps.

scotchegg
    Free Member

There is a nice little pump track at chaddesden park. Very well suited to children. Chaddesden doesn’t have a good reputation but the park is nice and much better than you would expect.

orena45

As well as Chad Park, there’s also a little track next to the Sustrans path by Murray Park school in Mackworth and also one in Osmaston Park next to Moorways Leisure centre. Not necessarily worth the trip but if you’re passing by, they are there.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Derby bmx track (and any other ones in Derbyshire)’ is closed to new replies.