Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Derailleur Clutch – what do they do?
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Explanation for the simple minded needed

THanks

PJM1974
    Free Member

In a nutshell they stiffen the mech cage so that they don’t spring back when chain tension is slack and as a result the chain is less likely to jump off the chainring.

njee20
    Free Member

Increase cage tension, so the chain doesn’t bounce.

fathomer

The clutch generally stops the cage moving forward, almost eliminating chain slap and helping your chain stay where it should.

Edit: and what they said ^^

bonesetter
    Free Member

OK, thanks

How long have they been around?

Macavity
    Free Member

bonesetter
    Free Member

Great stuff

Mine’s a SRAM, but gotta be similar eh?

Are they generally considered any good?

plyphon
    Free Member

They’re good but seem to be wearing out quicker for some riders (the clutch part, the mech part is the same as a non-clutched mech essentially.).

Some would argue a clutch introduces unwanted dampening in the rear suspension if you have a full sus, that adversely effects the feel of the suspension.

Generally, most people like them. My next bike will have one as stock spec.

PJM1974
    Free Member

My drivetrain is noticeably quieter having fitted an XT clutch, I’d agree with the sentiment that they would inhibit the suspension performance for some bikes, but then so would a chainguide.

The SRAM solution is very elegant with a sprung loaded pin doing the work of lots of gubbins that occasionally break in a Shimano mech

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

What do they do?

Break mostly, IME.

bonesetter
    Free Member

So the SRAM is the better design?

What happens when they break?

moshimonster
    Free Member

My new bike has one, Sram X01, but haven’t really noticed it. But then no chain slap either so it clearly works.

benkitcher
    Free Member

At a guess, clutches on hardtails would last significantly longer than those on FS bikes? Especially those with large amounts of chain growth.

This is based on the logic that each shift and each movement of the suspension causes the mech cage to rotate against the friction of the clutch.

Northwind

bonesetter – Member

What happens when they break?

There’s a wee bit of folded metal in the mechanism that snaps- no fuss to get it replaced on warranty though (I got a whole new mech, which was kind of overkill for a single wee part). But it just turns them into a normal mech so it’s no big deal really.

Oh aye, they do also break like other mechs break naturally- some folks think they break more, not convinced, my XTs have been battered but have held up really well

bonesetter
    Free Member

OK, thanks.

So carry on

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Derailleur Clutch – what do they do?’ is closed to new replies.