Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Delta Airlines to the USA – any experiences of taking your bike?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Their website says bikes can be carried as normal check in luggage, which sounds pretty good. Though there might be charges on internal flights, ie NY to Denver or Salt Lake City.

Sounds too good to be true, after years of using Easyjet and Ryan Air, has anyone flown with them and taken their bike?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

As an alternative, what about BA to Denver?

Local rental in Moab is around $60 per day, so worth exploring a DIY option

larrythelathe
    Free Member

i have flown with delta i put it in the hold, in a box, it was a few years ago and i had no trouble.

Militant_biker

Had to fly Delta a few times when we lived in the USA. Every single time, something went wrong; cancelled planes, huge delays, diversions around the Eastern USA. We had to have a couple of emergency overnighters in hotels (which only by arguing, we got them to pay for).
    Had the option of flying with two bikes on a BA flight, or one bike on a BA flight and one on a Delta on the next trip. I opted for breaking my back carrying two rather than trust Delta with one of them.
    Would not choose to fly with them again, unless I absolutely had to.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I don’t think they can be carried as normal luggage. They have a charge of 150 USD per bike, and if the bike is in addition to your two pieces of luggage, you’ll have to pay the additional baggage fee too

Have you looked at Iceland Air? They are the best transatlantic airline going at the moment IMO

BlindMelon
    Free Member

They damaged my friends bike badly on a flight to Atlanta.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Interesting stuff.

We can fly Iceland air / KLM from Bristol, but extra changes that way. But I like the idea of stopping there on the way back, nice contrast to Moab in October!

tonyg2003

I fly Delta a lot (Gold membership). They are fine, improving quite a lot recently. I’m sure you will be OK.

Chew
    Free Member

Just flown back from Denver with Delta.

It’s the same airport staff who will handle your bike so it doesn’t matter about the carrier.
    I got charged $150 on the flight by Delta (I was expecting it) they also over booked the flight by 9 people as well which left some people stranded for a day. I’ve now taken them off my list.

BA don’t charge you extra for your bike, nether did KLM on my outward flight (that may have been luck though)

irc

BA don’t charge you extra for your bike

Depends on your ticket. If you are allowed two hold bags then the bike can be one. For World Traveller economy the luggage allowance is only 1 hold bag. So the bike gets charged as an extra bag. £55 each way transatlantic.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/information/baggage-essentials/sporting-goods-and-musical-instruments

deadkenny
    Free Member

As an alternative, what about BA to Denver

Seen how much BA charges for flights to Denver these days? !!

Only direct flight, but last time I went for Delta with a change as it was half the price (admitted during ski season).

Bag allowances suck now on most transatlantic flights as most have reduced the allowance to 1 hold bag *including* your ‘sports’ bag. While such a bag comes under your free allowance, you then can’t take a luggage bag for free.

What I do when skiing though is take a double size ski bag and stick all my clothes in there with the skis. It’s tricky getting it under the weight though. Helmets, boots, jackets and stuff all go in carry on. I never have problems with it supposedly being more than the carry on allowance. They don’t seem to care or it just may come to them checking the stuff in the hold when you get to the gate but you don’t usually get charged for that.

legend
    Free Member

Last time I flew with Delta they fed us pizza. This, unless I’m mistaken, makes them the best airline in the world.

pdw
    Free Member

Just got back from the US flying with Delta, and they were terrible. Can’t comment on travelling with a bike, but avoid like the plague if you’re travelling with a baby. Just a single bassinet on a 767 and no two representatives gave the same answer on how you get it allocated to you. On the way back, we had the only baby on the flight and still didn’t get it.

Beyond that, staff were generally unhelpful and in some cases rude, and in four flights we had pilots turning up late, broken a/c, entertainment on two flights broken, and a 1.5 hour delay on the tarmac for a 40 min flight with hardly any explanation.

Total contrast to flying with the sprog on Virgin who couldn’t have been more helpful.

Chew
    Free Member

Depends on your ticket. If you are allowed two hold bags then the bike can be one. For World Traveller economy the luggage allowance is only 1 hold bag. So the bike gets charged as an extra bag. £55 each way transatlantic.
    http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/information/baggage-essentials/sporting-goods-and-musical-instruments%5D

They don’t if you read it 😉
    Yes you only get one piece of luggage to put in the hold, but that can be a bike box. If you’re going on a biking holiday you’re not going to be taking that much stuff anyway. Just pack as much as you can into the bike box and do the same with your hand luggage.
    I had all my bikepacking equipment with me and still had room to spare

deadkenny
    Free Member

It’s true that Delta sucks. But often it’s the only (not too expensive) option. And watch out there are seemingly other airlines flying the same route, but they’re code sharing and actually turns out to be a Delta flight.

They’re better than United though who’s seat layout and legroom suck even worse.

And many modern Delta flights now have the per seat video & game selection, and they’re providing USB charge sockets on the long hauls, plus there’s WiFi on internal flights in US, though the internal ones are less comfortable, you get only an overhead video or even none at all, and it’s like riding a bus. At least they’re short.

Kiril
    Free Member

In our experience delta are better than united, ba or virgin. As for take your bike, I’ve been to Moab twice and next time I’ll take my own bike!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Delta Airlines to the USA – any experiences of taking your bike?’ is closed to new replies.