Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • degreasing a cat?
  • wwaswas

Swarfega only works if applied to dry grease – first touch of water and it doesn't 'grab' the grease, just the water – as you found.

i have placed a cat in the shower before (As punishment for digging up carpets)

well, as long as it made you feel better.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Fair enough.

It made me feel a lot better. Especially when the cat in question never did it again (It was a reoccurring problem over a few months). Water has always and will always be the best deterrent when cats are involved. 14yrs later my cat doesnt bear me any grudges.

Cougar

The problem there is that cats don't generally associate punishment with crime unless you catch them at it. If a cat sprays (for instance) and you chuck water at it later on, all that will happen is that it'll resent you for chucking water at it. The only way it works is if you catch them in the act, and even then it's best to do it discreetly so that it doesn't affect the cat's trust in you (eg, hide out of sight with a squirt gun).

Milkie
    Free Member

Don't use Swarfega!

Use a thinner oil (baby oil) to get rid of the thicker oil, then fairy liquid.

I actually had a student veterinary nurse ask me this last night. You're not in North Bristol are you!?

RealMan
    Free Member

marsdenman
    Free Member

the answer is simples….

Blame BP and have them degrease it 😉

vdubber67
    Free Member

I'll bring my greyhounds round. They'll sort it all out swiftly 😉

jon1973
    Free Member

As punishment for digging up carpets

Why did you bury the carpet in the first place?

ex-pat
    Free Member

vdubber67, they'll never catch the cat though will they, (s)he's greased up!

Junkyard
    Free Member

The problem there is that cats don't generally associate punishment with crime unless you catch them at it.

This is true the consequences must occur very close together or they dont associate the two together. You could of course sit it down and explain why you are doing this and what you want it to learn as the consequence of the punishment but cats dont understand language.

proper sciennce to show this ok it is Psychology I admit it

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I actually HAVE a suit of armour, & even that isn't proof against a cat with an issue – again i have the scars to prove it….

5lab

cheers for all your help guys

the OH was able to get most of it off just using a towel with a bit of shampoo and water on it and a lot of rubbing. Eddie was very good about it all, still has slightly clumped fur but the rest of him's fine

coffeeking
    Free Member

🙂 Happy ending!

Incidentally never had much of a problem showering cats, after the first 10 seconds of struggling they decide they actually quite like the warm sensation and stay still until you're done.

Tyredocter
    Free Member

Wash Liqued should do the trick as this is uesd for oily birds

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘degreasing a cat?’ is closed to new replies.