Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Deep insertion headsets
  • SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Which exist that aren't as pricey as Chris King?

slartybartfast
    Free Member

I have Acros one fitted in my bike, still around 90 quid though.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Syncros and Nuke Proof both make one that is reasonably priced, i.e. less than £90 (I think)

druidh
    Free Member

TJ just got a Nuke Proof one for the Tandem. I think he actually had to machine it down a little as it was too deep 🙄

mildred

Da Bomb make a loose ball steelset for about £25 – its a bit on the low-rent side though.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think he actually had to machine it down a little as it was too deep

Yeah you have to be sure that your frame can take a deep insert cup. A lot of frames aren't faced deep enough to be compatible.

ojom
    Free Member

Luke – NP as they say.

Also Nicolai do one as do Reset Racing.
    Think Cane Creek might be banging some out now as well….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Deep insertion

Fnaar, and indeed, fnaar.

forge197
    Free Member

Out of interest when would you need to use one?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Out of interest when would you need to use one?

Basically you don't 'need' to use one unless your frame manufacturer says you need to. Nicolai require you to use one with a min insert of 20mm otherwise they won't warranty against head tube ovalisation; not that I know anyone who's ever done that mind. Other than that, people tend to use them as a reinforcement of the headtube if they're doing major landings from very large heights etc. The other issue with them is that once they're in, they're in and you might as well forget getting them out. They are more or less and integral part of the frame at that point.

The Nicolai Fet Set is about £130 as is the Reset Racing one and you have to order them direct.

I have a Reset in mine and it's pretty incredible the lengths they go to to seal the thing. It double lip sealed inside and outside and the lower bearing actually sits on the crown race (as with the Fet Set). It can be a bugger to get your forks out. I did this last night and had to really whack it with a mallet.

forge197
    Free Member

geetee1972 – thanks for that learn't something new today so appreacite that.

geetee1972
    Free Member

One aims to please. 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

druidh – Member

TJ just got a Nuke Proof one for the Tandem. I think he actually had to machine it down a little as it was too deep

Correct – the nuke proof one is 22 mm insertion – my frame would only take 15 mm.

An FSA pig is fairly deep insertion – 12 mm IIRC – thats what I took out

RustyNissanPrairie

as above-I had to cut the King deepset out of my Brooklyn when I re-powdercoated it. No way could it be removed 'normally'

alaric

I think Blackspire also do one.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Nukeproof looks the win to me.

Basically I think I've battered the chuff out of my bike too much with a Race Face Deus XC headset and it was loose in the frame. Not so loose you could pull it out by hand, though, and it still took a few minutes battering with the headset tool to get it out so I think a deep insert will be OK even if I have to grind it down.

There's a lot of room up there, though, so I think it'll be fine.

qwerty
    Free Member

i have a third hand CK steelset in a GF Paragon (it was cheap) it ain't ever gonna come out without some abuse as the headtube is stepped/butted on the inside 😐 i did wonder why it had some screwdriver indents on it when i got it!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Deep insertion headsets’ is closed to new replies.