Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Decent cassette decks – where?
  • RustySpanner

Any idea where I can get a decent cassette deck?
    Would prefer not to use ebay.

Loads about a few years ago, suspect most in landfill now.
    Anyone got one knocking about they no longer use?

br
    Free Member

Just bought one, happened to be attached to a car though 🙂

jota180
    Free Member
    ieeosg
    Free Member

I’ve got a Denon DRM400 if thats of any interest.

grum
    Free Member
    CountZero

http://www.vintagecassette.com/aiwa/ad-f770
    If you can find one, these are excellent machines, Really very good indeed. Perhaps not quite up there with a Nakamichi, but as good as you could want.
    The auto tape EQ really gets the best out of the tape, and if you can get hold of TDK Metal tapes the results are superb.
    ‘Course, as with everything audio, the end result is only as good as your source material; GIGO certainly applies.
    I’ve still got mine, and I’m not parting with it, even though I use all digital now.

Cougar

I’ve got a Yamaha twin cassette hifi separate that I’d consider selling. Think it’s played about three cassettes in its life.

tops5
    Free Member

I’ve got a decent Technics something or other that I could persuaded to part with…

mboy
    Free Member

I have a top of the range Pioneer from the late 90’s, even has Dolby S, that has been used about 5 times from new, and spent the rest of its life inside its box… If you were interested…

crankbreaker

You can’t be a proper break dancer without a cassette player!
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAt7sawS8_4[/video]

CountZero

Of course, if you were serious about hifi, and you wanted a tape deck, there was really only one possible option, one of these:

The Nakamichi Dragon.

mudshark
    Free Member

How decent? Try Freecycle, I see reasonable ones come up every now and then.

CountZero

There are those who say the Nakamichi CR-7A, the successor to the Dragon, was much better still, but a good one will cost you:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAKAMICHI-CR7A-CR7-CR-7A-CASSETTE-DECK-INCLUDES-RM-7C-WIRELESS-REMOTE-/160856971157?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2573d29795#ht_2460wt_922

Hadge
    Free Member

I have a CR-7A and I can vouch it is a better machine than the Dragon and makes astonishing recordings. Sadly I don’t use it anymore but it’s till in perfect working order but I’ll never sell it.

Stoner
    Free Member

The Nakamichi Dragon.

are you supposed to play that or fly it?

CountZero

are you supposed to play that or fly it?

Well, it wouldn’t look out of place on the flight deck of the SF space ship of your choice, that’s for sure. 😀

martinxyz
    Free Member

How much did the retail for?

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

I have a Nakamichi cassette deck2,cheaper than the dragon by a long way but sounded great. Now in in a box with silica gel. Can’t bear to get rid of it! The big pain is real time transcription. It takes ages!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Did the Dragon have a lovely slow eject action though?

CountZero

Martin, I have a vague recollection that a Dragon was well north of £2k. They were 4150dm, (Deuchmarks) in the early eighties, and they may well have gone up over £3k, I honestly can’t remember, and I’m having trouble finding a price for them.In wiki I found this:

In the early 1980s Nakamichi came out with further refinements in a successor top-of-the-line machine, the Nakamichi 1000ZXL. Prices pushed upward with this machine being $3,800 at the time (the 1000ZXL Limited was even at $6000). The updated 700ZXL was a mere $3,000. Low-end cassette decks sold new for under $300, with the Nakamichi name on them. This time period stands as the pinnacle for cassette recorders, as from that time onwards digital recording methods began to make inroads.

scaredypants

blimey, can you still get blank cassettes ? 😯

montylikesbeer

I used to lust over a Nakamici dragon, hhmmmmmmmmmm

Cougar

I always wanted a Dragon 32.

CountZero

The big pain is real time transcription. It takes ages!

Oh God, tell me about it! The hours I spent putting compilation tapes together for the car and for girlfriends. I used to reckon on three hours for a C90. Fun, though.

cbike
    Free Member

I’m selling a dual TEAC? deck. Very light theatre use as we went reeltoreel- minidisc – than solid state. And 4 minidisc players if you fancy.

martinxyz
    Free Member

wow not cheap! I still have a few blank tdk’s wrapped in a box here.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Countzero = Joe Driscoll ;o)

‘A good mix tape,is my idea of romance.. if she got no taste then we got no chance’

martinxyz
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUtk5Na0IM[/video]

CountZero

Martinxyz; absolutely! 😀

RustySpanner

Ta everyone.

Will be in contact shoortly when broadband back up!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Decent cassette decks – where?’ is closed to new replies.