Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Decathlon e-bike with auto box and integrated motor.
  • jkomo
    didnthurt

The CVT element is interesting, I’d like to try one to see how it feels. Can’t see it in the exploded diagram, are they meant to look like two cones?

How long until they do a CVT mountain bike.

walowiz

I got the email from decathlon on this too.

super intrigued with this, first eBike I’ve heard of with a cvt setup & combined motor and gears. It almost seems as close as I’ve seen to the perfect ecommuter bike.

convert

Looks good. They could have gone belt drive which would have been nice.

jkomo

I’d love a go.

jp-t853

Bike looks really interesting but that new Decathlon website is shit, truly awful browsing on an ipad

thepodge
    Free Member

Lots of interesting features but I don’t like the packaging. It’s like they went “those cheap bikes over there aren’t selling well, lets slap this really cool concept on them”.

PhilO
    Free Member

“The CVT element is interesting, I’d like to try one to see how it feels. Can’t see it in the exploded diagram, are they meant to look like two cones?”

You’re thinking of the old ‘laggy band’ design employed by DAF in the ’70s and widely used in scooters/mopeds. Too lossy for a pedal cycle. The exploded diagram shows two sets of motor windings, so I’m going to make an educated guess that it uses differential motor speeds applied at different points in the gear-train to give an effective variable gain ratio.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m going to make an educated guess that it uses differential motor speeds applied at different points in the gear-train to give an effective variable gain ratio

There are two motors and two drive belts. I wonder if it’s like the Toyota hybrid design where they have two motor/generators, and they can vary the power going to and coming from each to create variable gear ratios? Is that what you meant?  However I think the existence of a freewheel might scupper that idea.

Rich_s

The exploded diagram shows two sets of motor windings, so I’m going to make an educated guess that it uses differential motor speeds applied at different points in the gear-train to give an effective variable gain ratio.

Hamsters. I’m going with hamsters. Two of them, brothers. One big, one small.

PJay
    Free Member

The usage and care instructions are interesting, apparently you’re not meant to tumble-dry or iron it.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

But it is good to see that on the spec sheet for Connected it says Connected. No idea what that means but at least it is connected???

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Most of the CVT cars I’ve driven (all maybe) have been pretty jerky. Not too much of issue in a hire car, but I’m not sure I’d want that at the traffic lights on my commute.

Is this a new thing or have cvt bikes been around for a while?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

NuiVinci 360 has been out for 17 years or so? Works very differently to the Decathkoin though I think.

molgrips
    Free Member

Most of the CVT cars I’ve driven (all maybe) have been pretty jerky. Not too much of issue in a hire car, but I’m not sure I’d want that at the traffic lights on my commute.

CVT is a concept, not a specific device. There are loads of ways of doing it – this will have nothing to do with cars you may have driven.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.