Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • dead reverb? scratched stanchion….
  • duncancallum

My reverb has gotten progressively harder to depress intermittently n today I dropped it down after lubing it n it’s scratched/gouged it.

Is it worth repairing as it’s 60-90 quid just for the service plus parts.

So bin it or repair it?

RicB

The harder to depress aspect probably means you need to bleed the remote hose

I wouldn’t worry too much about the scratch- sand it smooth with some very, very fine sandpaper and check the collar slides up and down ok. All the pneumatic gubbins lives inside the shaft so you haven’t damaged that

duncancallum

ta, can you take the collar off with out dropping any air out of it?

RicB

Yes, the collar just holds the two sliding tubes together. All the oil and pressurised air is inside the stanchion (there are 4 tubes in total). Don’t lose the brass keys!

Collar can be a swine to remove though- you’ll need a big spanner and I suggest wrapping the bigger tube in an inner tube and clamping in a vice

If it was me I’d just sand he gouge as smooth as I can and drop some pressure to make it easier to compress the seatpost. This’ll make it easy to see if the collar is catching. Then pump back up to 250psi

creamegg
    Free Member

What size / diameter is it? I bay have a (hardly used) reverb, less remote coming up for sale if interested?

Northwind

I’d be worrying about the cause of hte scratch but not the scratch, same as with suspension forks.

duncancallum

its a 30.9

I’ll have a butchers tomorrow?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

He says the scratch was because he dropped it, nothing sinister causing it

duncancallum

no the scrathed appeared when dropping the post, Im going to take the cap off tomorrow and have a looksie, I think there must be something in there

RicB

Ah- I assumed you meant you dropped it on the floor!

duncancallum

nope I lubed the bike and then worked the post, it made a nasty noise coming back up and when I looked its gouged the fecker

RicB

Stone stuck in the seal then. Gently work a tie wrap around the seal and see if anything pops out

welshfarmer

mine is scratched to hell on the back due to wear in the collar bushes. However, it still works perfectly so I shall continue to use it till it falls apart.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Don’t waste money servicing it. They are on sale so often these days and you can pick them up for not much over £100 I consider them disposable. I got quoted £105 to service mine and a new one cost me £130 with a 2 year warranty.
    For reference I have 4 reverbs on the go. One of which was given to me by a neighbor as he thought it was knackered. It wobbles, is scratched and is generally pretty tired but in use is as good as my 2 month old version. I just don’t notice when I use it in anger.

swanny853

Collar can be a swine to remove though- you’ll need a big spanner and I suggest wrapping the bigger tube in an inner tube and clamping in a vice

I recommend (from bitter experience) clamping it back in the bike to undo the collar. Never seemed to be able to get enough grip in the vice or with assorted strap setups

welshfarmer

^^^ This. Loosen it before removing from bike, and tighten it after replacing on the bike

swanny853

Also, make sure the post is extended and the hose well clear- don’t do what I did manage to put a nice slice in the hose by attempting to turn the spanner through it (it was on the other side of the post to me)

duncancallum

I took the collar off and wiped it all down and cleaned the shite out of it, I’m just going to use it till it dies.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘dead reverb? scratched stanchion….’ is closed to new replies.