Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 407 total)
  • Danny Baker
  • cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Incidentally, everyone saying “I didn’t know she was mixed race because I’m not interested enough in the royal family”- fair enough, but then you didn’t post a picture online about the child did you? Anyone who did, presumably does pay some attention to the royal family

That’s the point isn’t, if you don’t know (or care) and you just hear “Royal baby” and think it’ll be funny to say that Royals are part of a circus by posting a silly picture, then why would race enter your mind? It wouldn’t unless its pointed out to you, after the fact.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

That’s the point isn’t, if you don’t know (or care) and you just hear “Royal baby” and think it’ll be funny to say that Royals are part of a circus by posting a silly picture, then why would race enter your mind? It wouldn’t unless its pointed out to you, after the fact.

Only if you are white or have very few friends or relatives who aren’t white – or fail to watch the news.

Again, lots of Randy Marshes on here.

Poahs comment that this is THE example of how screwed up the world has become is particually hilarious.

Nahhh it’s not the racist violence, Donald Trump, Brexit, apocalyptic wars in the middle east caused by people of your race and historical subjugation of people of a different race, no what is the worst thing ever is some white dude getting fired for saying something that was so obviously racist (intentional or not) that even the Daily Mail comments section unanimously decided it was racist.

Racism is what is driving the backlash from some of you, you feel uncomfortable having your world challenged a bit by people of a different race – and you are going out of your way to deny them of their experience. Your hilariiously emotive reactions to his firing are evidence of that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Poahs comment that this is THE example of how screwed up the world has become is particually hilarious.

Nahhh it’s not the racist violence and historical subjugation of people of a different race, no what is the worst thing ever is some white dude getting fired for saying something that was so obviously racist (intentional or not) that even the Daily Mail commenbts section unanimously decided it was racist.

Absolutely spot on.

scotroutes

Who the **** is Randy Marsh?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Watch the South Park episode entitled “With Apologies to Jesse Jackson”.

It’s a classic and it’s message was endorsed by the NAACP..

This show, in its own comedic way, is helping people to educate the power of this word, and how it can feel to have hate language directed at you.

— Kovon and Jill Flowers

funkmasterp

Only if you are white or have very few friends or relatives who aren’t white – or fail to watch the news.

Probably misconstrued what you’ve said here, so please forgive me. Are you saying that it’s racist to not see racism until it’s pointed out something could be taken as racist?

Leaving Danny Baker aside for a minute. If I see that picture and just have a vague knowledge that there is a new royal child just arrived am I racist if I see no racist undertones? Even if I have not a clue that the child’s mother is of mixed heritage. Is it racist that racism doesn’t jump to the forefront of my mind?

Danny Baker is a **** idiot as he must’ve known the background given his position. I (and plenty of others on here) know next to nothing about the royal family in general. Are we “Randy Marshes” for not noticing something?

scotroutes

I’ve heard of South Park. Score one for me.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Are you saying that it’s racist to not see racism until it’s pointed out something could be taken as racist?

Not at all, I’m saying that your experiences of what is or is not racist depends on your background. It’s not racist at all to be unaware. This is the thing with us white people – we get hugely hung up when it comes to talking about race. We get defensive as we aren’t used to talking about it – colour doesn’t factor into our world, especially those who grew up with the colourblind mantra.

However, the rather deranged defence of Danny Baker certainly makes me think that certain posters feel threatened by people not from their race having a say in what is or isn’t racist.

If I see that picture and just have a vague knowledge that there is a new royal child just arrived am I racist if I see no racist undertones

I would say that if you did not know Markles background – that you were simply unaware. If you did and still didn’t make the connection, I’d say you were colourblind – which is a different topic and worthy of a discussion in of itself. If you were in a position of broacasting power and you chose to post it, it would raise questions about your opinions in my mind – as I simply don’t get how you could post that working for the bbc.

I mean really, c’mon guys – even Daily Mail readers knew that it wasn’t on…if Danny had apologised immedicately and without the continual caveats he has been putting out on twitter and comments designed to make people feel sorry for him then I’d have probably thought that he should have been given a warning. But he’s dug himself quite the hole really, I don’t see what choice the BBC had as his response has raised more questions.

My comments were aimed at different posters and their attitudes towards what people should or should not find offensive, not you.

lucky7500

Always worth remembering at this juncture that the abuser / bully / racist doesn’t get to decide whether or not they are abusing / bullying / being racist. That is entirely decided by the victims. In the situation at hand, if black and mixed race people consider being described as a monkey to be racist then it is.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

“I called my ex a cheeky monkey once, I never thought anything of it but I may as well have called him a c*** judging by the look on his face.”

“Have you ever done the Harvard implicit bias test? It covers a range of biases from ableism to sexism I was surprised to discover that I’m racist owards white people!”

Yup, I said that. So you’re using my argument which I used an example of my ignorance to demonstrate my own prejudices and racism, yet you are using the same argument to say that you and DB can’t be because you weren’t aware of the implications?

I think you’re getting your knickers in a twist.

The difference between our opinions is that I learned something that I wasn’t previously aware of and I have used it to grow in to a better and more educated individual who is more aware of how my attitude affects others, you’re just using it as an excuse to carry on being racist.

(racism is still more than hate, it’s apathy, indifference, ignorance… And it doesn’t matter if you know it or not)

outofbreath
    Free Member

Yup, I said that. So you’re using my argument which I used an example of my ignorance to demonstrate my own prejudices and racism, yet you are using the same argument to say that you and DB can’t be because you weren’t aware of the implications?

I think you’re getting your knickers in a twist.

The difference between our opinions is that I learned something that I wasn’t previously aware of and I have used it to grow in to a better and more educated individual who is more aware of how my attitude affects others, you’re just using it as an excuse to carry on being racist.

(racism is still more than hate, it’s apathy, indifference, ignorance… And it doesn’t matter if you know it or not)

You asked “Any evidence of any racist comments I’ve made?”, I quoted one.

outofbreath
    Free Member

This is the thing with us white people

iron

Klunk
    Free Member

it was a dumb move full stop, he works for the royals private pr company for god sake, without any racial implications he would be for the chop.

funkmasterp

Just took one of the IAT tests

Here is your result:
    Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Black people over White people.

Quite interesting exercise overall and think I’ll participate in a few more.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Awheeshoe, you should probably add nuance to that last sentence.

Racist actions are prejudiced actions that contribute to an overall climate of society wide racism against a certain minority by those with majority power. Whilst indifference can certainly be a racist action, ignorance probably isn’t – it’s just a contributory factor.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Racist actions are prejudiced actions that contribute to an overall climate of society wide racism against a certain minority by those with majority power.

Bollocks. If a single Inuit Indian did something racist in Switzerland it would still be racist even though it didn’t meet any of your criteria.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

“Ignorantia juris non excusat”

Ignorance is not an excuse in the eyes of the law

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve heard of South Park. Score one for me.

Now, that actually does surprise me.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Bollocks. If a single Inuit Indian did something racist in Switzerland it would still be racist even though it didn’t meet any of your criteria

Nope, because that fails to take into account the fear that is caused by the power involved in racism.

That allows people to label racism the same as everyday bullying or ginger bashing and thus diminish it.

If an Inuit said something to me in Britain, I would not feel threatened. If I was a Jew in Germany, I would.

poah
    Free Member

Nahhh it’s not the racist violence, Donald Trump, Brexit, apocalyptic wars in the middle east caused by people of your race and historical subjugation of people of a different race, no what is the worst thing ever is some white dude getting fired for saying something that was so obviously racist (intentional or not) that even the Daily Mail comments section unanimously decided it was racist

except all that has been going on for years. This whole PC crap is a recent phenomenon. Had he actually posted a racist comment/image then sure he should get bollock’d but just people a load of snowflakes don’t get his joke everyone is suddenly racist.

nick1962
    Free Member

Perhaps DB is a closet Tory and was just helping out Theresa May by creating a hostile environment for (illegal) immigrants 😉

raybanwomble
    Free Member

except all that has been going on for years. This whole PC crap is a recent phenomenon. Had he actually posted a racist comment/image then sure he should get bollock’d but just people a load of snowflakes don’t get his joke everyone is suddenly racist

That last sentence is not what has been said.

But you kind of just dug that hole for yourself with the second sentence.

As if any of those things are less worse than you being offended by political correctness just because they have been around for longer.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

The Police are now investigating the Tweet

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Snowflakes? Wtf? What a strange little man you are.

easily
    Free Member

the abuser / bully / racist doesn’t get to decide whether or not they are abusing / bullying / being racist. That is entirely decided by the victims

I find this ideology a bit worrying. It’s pretty much the same thought process that led to the Salem Witch Trials, the idea that if someone accuses another of something the accusation is enough, nothing else needs to be considered:
    “I say you’ve bullied me, therefore you are a bully and there is no defense, it’s entirely up to me as I am the victim” is not that different from “I say you are a witch, therefore you are a witch …”

The consequences are thankfully different, but the process is the same – you’ve already prejudged the accused as a bully and the accuser as a victim.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I find this ideology a bit worrying. It’s pretty much the same thought process that led to the Salem Witch Trials, the idea that if someone accuses another of something the accusation is enough, nothing else needs to be considered:

+1000

funkmasterp

the abuser / bully / racist doesn’t get to decide whether or not they are abusing / bullying / being racist. That is entirely decided by the victims

No it isn’t and nor should it be. If it’s taken far enough it will be decided by a third party who holds no bias either way. Isn’t that how our justice system works? Evidence is taken in to account not just I say therefore they are. That’s just idiotic on so many levels

pondo

Racist actions are prejudiced actions that contribute to an overall climate of society wide racism against a certain minority by those with majority power. 

Great – since Danny’s tweet was not a prejudiced action, he’s off the hook, right?

vazaha

The Police are now investigating the Tweet…

By luring Danny Baker in to a comment thread, they hope to provoke him to create more damning evidence.

In a Sting operation.

I’m someone who would make ^that kind of ridiculous shitz ‘n’ gigglez post, and yet even i know that the OP would be a bit no.

And i have never been a BBC DJ or anything like it.

Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up.

kerley
    Free Member

Had he actually posted a racist comment/image then sure he should get bollock’d but just people a load of snowflakes don’t get his joke everyone is suddenly racist.

Who is saying everyone is racist. I am not even saying Danny Baker is racist. The image posted had 2 obvious meanings.
    1. Anti royal, implying the royal family are performing chimps
    2. Racist, implying the baby of mixed heritage woman is a chimp because of her race

Or it was just a supposedly funny picture of an animal in clothes with two posh people (read royal couple).

Whatever it was it was definitely racist to a lot of people, whether intentional or not.

bruneep

The Police are now investigating the Tweet…

Yet https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48160004

bikebouy
    Free Member

ernielynch

I don’t really see a connection between the Official Secrets Act and the Communications Act.

But I do find it quite annoying that the Met Police will now have to waste time and resources investigating a tweet because someone has made an official complaint.

Especially as the tweet was instantly deleted and the person responsible severely punished.

The Met are having to deal with cuts since 2010 of £850 million and reductions of 3,000 officers, 3,000 community support officers, and 5,000 civilian staff, against a backdrop of rising violent crime.

I would prefer that the Met used their dwindling resources on dealing with serious hate crimes.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

I’m glad that the Met are investing it, it may seem innocuous to those who don’t see colour or see its racist connotations but it gives racism a legitimacy.

I received a phone call yesterday from my 11yr old daughter, she was in tears screaming “they’re chasing us, helllllllp” Her and her two friends were being chased by a large group of teenagers from a supermarket for over half a mile. Among threats of violence and death were “OooOo, OooOoo”

I wonder who inspired that?

It’s opinions like some of those on this thread who have legitimised it, how many of your kids have heard your conversations about DB?

How many kids have heard “that’s not offensive”?

How many of your kids have heard you call out “Snowflakes”?

What’s happening to my kids is the consequences of your ignorance

ernielynch

gives racism a legitimacy.

I would have thought that the outcome of this particular incident proves that racism is not “legitimate”.

I would prefer that the Met, who have been crippled by swingeing cuts imposed by the Tories and LibDems, concentrated on dealing with large gangs of teenagers who threaten violence on young children.

I don’t know what ignorance of mine you are referring to.

DezB
    Free Member

nooo, i didnt type nuffin

Pigface
    Free Member

Is calling me a Welsh sheep shagger racist?

funkmasterp

Is calling me a Welsh sheep shagger racist

Depends, are you Welsh and do you lay with Bovidae?

seosamh77
    Free Member

poah

except all that has been going on for years. This whole PC crap is a recent phenomenon. Had he actually posted a racist comment/image then sure he should get bollock’d but just people a load of snowflakes don’t get his joke everyone is suddenly racist.

step away from the internet… 😆

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I find this ideology a bit worrying. It’s pretty much the same thought process that led to the Salem Witch Trials, the idea that if someone accuses another of something the accusation is enough, nothing else needs to be considered

Not really. No one has stated that he’s definitely a racist, but he got fired for skirting the edges of racism by posting a picture that follows a historical and well documented form of racial abuse.

He did not get fired because someone accused him of something, he got fired for actually doing something.

Big difference to with the Salem Witch Trials.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 407 total)

The topic ‘Danny Baker’ is closed to new replies.