Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)
  • Dales flooding – Help
  • tthew

Thanks for updating FFJA. Sounds like your letting agents didn’t manage to hit the right empathy note, but if they can get you another suitable property fairly quickly that’s got to be a better solution than being in limbo for months while the current place is repaired.

If there’s anything specific you need short term, I’d say here or on the other sticky thread, there are plenty of heroes on here waiting to help.

Best of luck pal.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Great news about pets being found alive. \o/

Pool fund now over £1900!

mattbee

/\ Maybe not the best turn of phrase! 😜

martinhutch

Just so people know I’m not taking the mickey..

Nobody sensible is thinking that. Don’t waste your energy worrying about it.

matt_outandabout

Morning @FFJA.

Thanks for the update. Glad you have rescued some clothes etc.

A sh*t situation made worse by landlord – I can’t get my head around a landlord not wanting to check thier property! And most landlords have good insurance – my tenant would get upto 6months of accomodation paid (to see them out of contract) if we had to move them out following fire/flood/etc and I get a year of lost rent paid.

Sounds like if you can find a place some folk will lend a hand.

Good luck.

willard

Very happy to hear that the pets have been found ok and, once again, amazed at the generosity of this place.

Really hope you get something sorted out for accommodation soon.

Drac

MrOvershoot

JesusH Drac those pictures really bring home the utter devastation flood water can do to your house, glad I was able to donate

MrOvershoot

Just where would you start with that sort of cleanup 🙁

csb

Make sure you keep a verbatim note (ideally get it in writing) of whatever you’re told by the letting agent i.e. that they’ve advised you to move elsewhere rather than go through the motions of giving notice etc.

zippykona

Has anyone got a picture of how the river looks in normal times and how far the ops house is from it.

Always amazed me how a little stream in Braunton caused so much flooding.

Drac

The river will be on the right of the hedge from what I recall from visiting the area it’s usually just a gentle meandering river not particularly deep

Bunnyhop

FFJA – Are you able to rent an unfurnished property (which is cheaper)?
    You could furnish it with all the STWers help that has been offered on this and the other thread.

Those photos are sobering.

footflaps

The river will be on the right of the hedge from what I recall from visiting the area it’s usually just a gentle meandering river not particularly deep

You can normally walk across it in a dry summer, up to your knees in the deep bits!

We’re up in Swaledale next week on holiday, will pop into Reeth to spend some money…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I spoke to my letting agent this morning who’s advise was that my landlady us very hard to get hold of, and unlikely to be contactable about building insurance so “ah well, best find a new home, these things happen etc etc”.

That is in no way acceptable ….

This should be the situation

And most landlords have good insurance – my tenant would get upto 6months of accomodation paid (to see them out of contract)

Make sure they have insurance and if they don’t … tell them you will be taking illegal action.

Aside from that, not sure your let us know what you need …. please do…. I’m sure we all want to help in any way we can.

Good luck

kcal

As above. I have landlord insurance for my peace of mind and 100% certain it covers this sort of situation. Unacceptable IMV.

franksinatra

OP is a firefighter, I understand the Firefighter charity is a good one and a useful point of help. Is it worth OP contacting them?

From their website
    If life has thrown you an unexpected curveball, get in touch to find out how we could help

kittyr
    Free Member

Wow I was doing some reading and there are so few rights for tenants if their home is flooded 🙁
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/problems-where-you-live/rented-home-flooding-overview/

Hope you get back on your feet OP

singletrackmind

I dont think anyone on here would mind you using some of the cash for a deposit on a new rental , and buying some essentials to make it into a home again.
    The simple things most of us take for granted like heating, hot water , , turning on a light , making a cup of tea etc , when taken away and become imposible then that situation requires drastic action .
    I have already said on here post up what you need, and I bet the hoaders amoungst us will probably have what you need sitting in the garage taking up space and gathering dust, I kmow i do . There is a used , good Bosch washing machine just sitting in the way , shame its 250miles away but it wont be just me , that i can assure you.

croe
    Free Member

Make sure they have insurance and if they don’t … tell them you will be taking illegal action.

If you are going to take illegal action, best not to tell anyone. That’s the main reason people get caught.

murf
    Free Member

Incredible the damage that water can do, along with all the mud and sewerage that it brings too.
    Made a small donation, hope you get back on your feet pronto!

If it’s a rented house then I think I’d be happier just moving somewhere else (away from the river!) and just leave the landlord to sort out the old place. Rather than move to a temporary house while it all gets fixed and then have to move back again.

FFJA
    Free Member

Hello all,
    A very long overdue update from me and the small person! Sorry it’s taken so long!
    Well, thanks to friends we managed to find a 6 month let on a house nearby (for those who know where I mean, its at the bottom of the schoolmaster pasture descent just before the gate – kettles always on if I’m home!)
    It’s lovely having somewhere that feels like home again, and Grace is very happy. If anything it’s nicer than the old house, every cloud hey (literally)
    I’ve sent a solicitors letter to the letting agents which details why their notice is invalid but that subject to agreement i may be persuaded to give vacant possession early. Tbh on reflection I don’t think I want to go back there again now, I’ve had to go back a few times to collect bits out of the garden or collect post and it mostly just leaves me upset and angry.
    The STW cash lies more or less untouched at the moment, and I’m busy looking for deals on replacement stuff to swap with household stuff im borrowing at the moment. You did however for the first time ever give me enough of a buffer to take Grace away for a day at the zoo and Alton towers. We’ve not had a holiday together before so it was lovely and tbh I think we needed a break!
    Swaledale and Arkengarthdale are getting back to normal slowly, some of the biking community helped with picking up stone from the bridleway from Langthwaite which my dad and I are incredibly grateful for (hello if I saw anyone from here while I was walling and listening to the test match, a few people stopped)
    Next steps I guess are to try to find somewhere to go after April and work out what I need to buy but we will get there.
    FFJA

Drac

Thanks for the update and glad to hear things are slowly starting to work out.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Good to hear from you and great to hear things are starting to come together.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Good to hear things are getting better for you FFJA. (I know Schoolmaster Pasture well enough, last time i was down the Moresdale Rd we had an altercation with a rabid gamekeeper, who i reported to the police)
    At least you won’t be flooded up there!

nickc

Good to hear from you, and pleased that you’re getting back on your feet!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I was flooded in 2015 on Boxing Day, nowhere near as bad as your home. I had shoes and rug floating in about 6inch river water. Your pics look like your home was in the river.

kelvin

Great update. Positive vibes. Thanks.

willard

Glad you and the mini-FFJA could actually take time for yourselves and you picked a good place to do it! Also super-glad things are turning out well.

martinhutch

Thanks for the update on yourself and Grace. Not a bad spot to live, really (makes note of new potential cake stop on Swaledale loop).

footflaps

Nice update, good to hear you both have found somewhere at least for the time being…

Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.