Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 151 total)
  • Dales flooding – Help
  • FFJA
    Free Member

More rant than anything so apologies!
    The floods which have knocked out the Ard Rock have also put 5 feet of water through my house and me and my 5 year old have the clothes we stand up in 🙁
    No contents insurance (Yes, I know) and zero savings. All the dogs and cats have drowned.
    Not sure what the point of this is but please tell me I can’t get any worse.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Are you for real or are you joking ? They way you say all the cats and dogs have drowned sounds a bit ominous…

If you’re for real – then massive apologies

chipps

It hopefully won’t get worse… and then it’ll get better. The sun will shine again (OK, one day) and things will get fixed and dried and better again.

First off, you and your kid are OK, so that’s a good start… Really sorry about your animals and house though. As someone who lives in Calderdale, home to some of the 2015 floods, I can sympathise.

Can you get help/shelter this evening? Then find somewhere warm/dry to shelter and have another look in the morning. If it’s anything like Calderdale, everyone will pull together and help each other out. Don’t be afraid to put out some specific shouts too for help. Our Town Hall volunteers made an Amazon shopping list for flooded people – of food, cleaning stuff, clothes etc, and random strangers bought them and sent them in. We had a team of Sikh volunteers from Bradford come over every day and feed anyone who needed – whether flood victims, clear-up volunteers.

I found that floods bring out the best and the worst in the best and worst people. We had looting, and selfish neighbours were even more selfish, but a hugely greater number of awesome people were awesome. Neighbours knocked on doors to check on people, a small army of folks filled sandbags and helped clear flooded cellars and made food and then made sure that it was less likely to happen in the future.

Esme
    Free Member

I’m really sorry to hear this. Are you somewhere safe?

cbike
    Free Member

hmmmmmm….? Sounds Dodgy and Vague. Sceptometer activated. Prepared to be proved wrong though.

FFJA
    Free Member

I only wish I was joking.

chipps

I shared the scep, cbike, but FFJA’s posting history includes threads about Swaledale camping, a baby thread five years ago and a cat-naming thread. So that’s either the world’s most pointless long-awaited troll, or someone has turned to Singletrack in a time of need – which has happened in the past, so I’m happy to give the benefit…

chipps

So, FFJA – do you have somewhere to stay tonight? Are you upstairs? Or somewhere else? What is Swaledale like for people who’ve only seen a few photos and videos? And how much power do you have in your phone?

Drac

OP lives in Swaledale guys.

So sorry to hear this wish I could offer something tonight other than thoughts.

kelvin

Get yourself somewhere safe. There will be help. Concentrate on you and the little ‘un for now. Everything else can wait ‘till the area is safe. Don’t dwell on the actual and possible damage at this point. Repeat – there will be help.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Deal with what you can deal with right now. Everything else will wait and be dealt with as it is possible. Safety and shelter first. Sleep next.

Sorry to hear of your situation.

cbike
    Free Member

Crikey. Sounds bad.

sweepy
    Free Member

bloody hell! At least you’re safe. Best of luck mate.

funkmasterp

Shit OP, my thoughts are with you. Are you and your son now somewhere safe and warm? Do you have any family who haven’t been affected who you could stay with?

jekkyl

More importantly… Where’s your bike?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Looks terrible and sounds really bad for you. Mentioned elsewhere there’s thoughts of donating Ard Rock refunds to help out. Though doesn’t deal with immediate issues. Hope you get sorted soon. Really lost the cats and dogs? That’s awful.😥

halifaxpete

Christ. Sorry to read this, Puts it into perspective its only a bike race at the end of the day what really matters are the peoples lives that have been hit by this. I spent months working on flood damaged properties in Hebden/Royd after 2015 so have an idea of the impact it can have, Hope you get the relevant support!

FFJA
    Free Member

Cheers all. Sorry for the random rant! At parents tonight so have a kid asleep happily albeit worried about her my little ponies and have managed to get to the house for a look.
    The power has been incredible, it’s ripped off internal doors, thrown all my kitchen appliances around the room and piled up the furniture on the downstream side of each room. Pretty bloody scary and tbh I’m glad Grace and I were out at the time as she would have been terrified as tbf would I and I’m meant to be a brave firefighter..
    tomorrow is another day eh.

JoeG
    Free Member

Glad to  hear that you & your daughter are ok!

Hang in there; things will get better with time.

Thoughts are with you from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

matt_outandabout

OP, that sounds awful.

Take stock, then let us know what you need to help. I know we can’t replace what you had, particularly pets and documents, but we could help with stuff and support.

Is the building insured?

jkomo

Shitting hell, good luck fella, stay strong.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I was completely unaware of the bad weather in the area!

Just googled and found this straight away (not sure if my linking works properly?)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2325640064222177&id=306728236113380&__tn__=%2As%2As-R

sarawak
    Free Member

Hmmm? We have friends in Swaledale and whilst they say it has been raining hard, and there is standing water in fields and flooded rivers they have not heard of houses being flooded.

matt_outandabout
    mt
    Free Member

@sarawak. I can assure you houses are flooded and there is significant damage to homes roads. My house is cut off as the track is completely destroyed, we have no water but electricity. The retaining walls around our place are down. We are packed and ready leave if it gets worse.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Hmmm? We have friends in Swaledale and whilst they say it has been raining hard, and there is standing water in fields and flooded rivers they have not heard of houses being flooded.

Are you serious?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Op, is this you?

Well stalked. Got to be the op. Hope you get all the help you can op and hope the dogs turn up safe 🙏

martinhutch

Even a cursory look at his forum history shows he lives in Fremington. The videos yesterday showed the amount of water coming straight through it.

Posted by Gullwing Photography on Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Best wishes fella – have you got some folks around there in the valley?

Enjoy your holiday, Sarawak.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sarawak I hope you feel the full force of the Ban hammer!

thenorthwind

Nope. OP is having us on. He may have water in his house but not 5 feet. Even the drama queens in BBC News are only reporting flooded roads.

You’ve really knocked it out the park this time. Troll-tastic.

Hope this morning and this thread has brought some hope OP. All the best.

cyclelife
    Free Member

How do we organise a “whip round” to help the OP? I haven’t a clue or I’d start one.

We were driving back from Staithes to Sheffield yesterday and can well understand the chaos the rain has caused in the Dales, I have never in 40 years of driving been in anything like it.
    Gois luck to everyone affected and let’s get this guy some help.

tjagain

How do we organise a “whip round” to help the OP?

Just giving? someone has to administer it.

mashr

Just Giving take a slice dont they? There’s a Paypal pot thing you can do these days too, might be better

EDIT: Money Pools* https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/money-pools

*poor choice of name on this occasion

russyh
    Free Member

Jesus, sometimes this forum shows a true cross section of society.  Massive compassion in one breath and complete arseholedom in the next.  OP as a resident of Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire and a entrant to Ard Rock, You have my sincere condolences and sympathy.  It must be a horrific time, not least if you have genuinely lost pets.  My experience is that community rally’s together in such times and I’m sure this online community will also and offer morale and maybe tangible support as a consequence….good luck!

As for some of the moronic comments here and elsewhere, seriously you people need to take a look at yourselves. I genuinely hope you never feel some of the hardship and devastation of such situations!

tjagain

Ok – do we set up a money pool then? I would but given my financial idiocy over the years I may not be the best person to do so.

rj2dj
    Free Member

Justgiving have changed their fee structure in the UK (Following GoFundMe’s lead) so that they only take a card processing fee, which is 1.9% + 20p. The platform fees on both sites are now optional, albeit you need to pay attention when donating. Money Pools looks as though it might be completely free.

OP, so sorry to read about this – the force of water is terrifying. Most important thing for now is that you are both safe. As others have said, help will materialise, have faith.

zippykona

only take a card processing fee, which is 1.9% + 20p.

Which is a bit saucy as even our small shop is 0.8 % and a penny fee.

More than happy to chip in though.

Every wet weather forecast must be a nightmare for those living in such areas.

nickc

Feel for you OP like. Chipps said flooding brings out the best and worst in folk, but although it probs doesn’t feel like it now, things will look up eventually.

Anything we can do to help, just shout. All the best

mrmoofo

Rather than the “Just Giving” approach, what does the OP need to get things back on track? I am sure he doesn’t want to accept any old tat but I am guessing all of us have items we could donate?
    Not sure how we would get them there …
    But that is the next issue …
    Think of this is Gnussmobile terms …

martinhutch

what does the OP need to get things back on track?

I’m guessing a bit of ready cash would help immediately, maybe some labour over the next couple of weeks once the area can cope with visitors and perhaps some kit after that.

He’s a firefighter, so probably out helping other people right now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.