Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • DACs – A few silly questions
  • letmetalktomark

Re home hifi I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

I have a simple home set up centred around an AV amp in the lounge.

Running the amp is an Apple TV.

The amp (Pioneer VSX922) is an oldie but a goodie but does not have a bluetooth.

I currently stream the vast majority of music via Spotify on my Apple TV that has an HDMI connection to the TV and then an optical connection to the amp.

Now … would I be “better off” with a DAC attached directly to the amp? This would bypass the Apple TV etc.

The Wiim range of products appeals but I would only be able to make use of an analogue out as my amp only has one optical in – is that an issue?

Or … do I just get a bluetooth adapter plug in?

hexhamstu
    Free Member

What’s a DAC?

robola

No issue, the Wiim is a brilliant bit of kit and the DAC in it is more than up to streaming Spotify, which TBH is the weak link in your setup. So you would be using the DAC in the Wiim not the DAC in the receiver. But really the only gain you are likely to notice is the convenience of not switching on the tv.

fs1e

I’m using a Wiim Pro to stream music and have it connected to a Chord Qutest dac. Works flawlessly . The Wiim Pro Plus has a better internal dac and is what I would use in your circumstances

letmetalktomark

@robola – thank you. I realise that Spotify is the weakest link and am looking at other family plan offerings from other steaming options (albeit in a higher quality)

StuF

Wiim would give you the option to upgrade from spotify to Tidel/Qubuz. I’m trying to decide if the better DAC in Pro Plus is worth it over the Pro/mini.

robola

Ok, well I use tidal family plan that has noticeably better quality than Spotify. I run it into an old amp via a Wiim mini. The Wiim performs the DAC function just fine and supports tidal connect – stream is direct from tidal to the Wiim rather than crappy Bluetooth. Can’t go wrong with the Wiim imo.

mmannerr

Why not try Tidal on Apple TV on current setup first? There is probably a trial period on Tidal.
    And specifically run the Tidal from Apple TV and not from phone to Apple TV to avoid any bluetooth sound quality issues.

I enjoyed the Tidal sound quality (or is it just trick on EQ settings) but app was so annoying and buggy that I went back to Spotify. This was last summer so things may have improved.

letmetalktomark

@robola – thank you again – is that a hifi plus family account? The basic offering appears to be the same quality as Spotify.

toby1

What’s a DAC?

Digital to analogue converter. So between a streaming service 1s and 0s to an electrical analogue signal.

Wiims great till they fall off the network, occasional but not occasional enough for my liking at the moment!

TiRed

I use a DAC as a switching between digital devices (two laptops and a CD player) prior to amplification through a desk top Class D Chi-Fi amp. It also allows higher streaming bitrates from Tidal, which I subscribe to and stream from said laptops. I have Apple TV too in other rooms and haven’t tried the Tidal App on that. And Sonos in the main Hi-Fi/Cinema room, but that’s basically a Netflix den.

robola

I don’t pay for the highest tier. Maybe Spotify have caught up recently but there was a clear difference. Just try them both for a bit, if you are happy with Spotify then stick with that.

Wiims great till they fall off the network

Not once had my Wiim drop off the network. Far more reliable than chrome cast audio I have in another room.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I have a Wiim Pro connected to a Topping DAC and Naim amp.

I use Amazon music for streaming.

The Wiim Mini only has optical digital out, where as the Pro has both Optical and Co-axial.,

The Wiim software is very good.

If you are looking “hifi” quality sound ditch Spotify and don’t use Bluetooth.

alcolepone
    Free Member

you might find this useful

https://www.audiocheck.net/

i realized i cant tell the difference with my setup…

susepic

On April 10 Tidal is reworking their tiers so if you have been on their high subscription you will also get their highest quality streams (flac etc or whatever) apparently bringing them inline with other high Res music services.

This makes tidal best choice now I think

I am streaming tidal through a Chromecast audio straight into an old analogue amp for kitchen tunes, and using an Ifi Uno DAC to stream from the computer to desk speaker

ajantom

I am streaming tidal through a Chromecast audio straight into an old analogue amp for kitchen tunes, and using an Ifi Uno DAC to stream from the computer to desk speaker

I managed to get a few Chromecast Audios for £15 each before they stopped selling them.

Got one on the lounge (through amp/Hifi setup and decent speakers), one in the kitchen through a DAB radio that has an aux input, and another upstairs through a pair of active speakers.

Had them for over 7/8 (I think?) years now and no issues whatsoever.

I can play music on one, two or all at the same time, and because they work over the WiFi network not Bluetooth, they don’t have issues when the phone goes out of their range.

Great piece of kit (especially since they originally sold for about £15ish) and a real pity Google discontinued them.

Plenty on eBay, but at about £50-60 these days…..wish I’d bought 20 😆

derek_starship
    Free Member

I can recommend a DAC – Topping D50s. Fantastic for the money.

mrmoofo

deleted

susepic

[I managed to get a few Chromecast Audios for £15 each before they stopped selling them]

Yes, i’d have a few around the house if I had realised they were getting stopped. I can still create a downstairs network with a Chromecast video in the lounge to play music through downstairs

I reckon that Wiim kit looks the ideal purchase in the absence of CCAs.

prettygreenparrot

‘Will Bluetooth be better than digital audio via my apple TV’?

no,  Bluetooth can’t carry the same bitrate as WiFi and hdmi.

your source will set some constraint

Compare Spotify and Apple Music and tidal or whatever using your Apple TV. Pick what sounds best to you.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.