Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cyclus headset press and tapered headsets?
  • robbo
    Free Member

These seem like a good deal on wiggle but don’t appear to be designed for 1.5 cups. Anyone used one to fit a tapered headset?

alfabus
    Free Member

I have. It was a pain in the arse, but it got it done eventually.

Had to use various bits and pieces as spacers for the press because the standard cones weren’t big enough for either the 1.5″ bottom cup or the 1 1/8″ integral top cup (transition covert, hope pick’n’mix headset).

Dave

mrjmt
    Free Member

I had a similar question recently when fitting the headset in my Dawg, as Dave said the standard press won’t fit 1.5″ cups, also the upper cup on my frame was a 1 1/8″ semi int which i’m not convinced the press would do either so I didn’t bother buying one.

If you decide to go for one, they’re very cheap on rose bikes (think they might be a bit cheaper than wiggle).

I ended up with the old hammer / threaded bar with big washers and sockets. Went in fine but had to change my pants afterwards. The addition of sockets to spread the load to the outside of the washers made the cups go in much straighter than just with washers, I think they helped to keep the bar straight. 🙄

fuzzhead
    Free Member

As above, the Cylus headset presses don’t play nice with 1.5 headsets. I used mine in conjunction with the cup from a reducer headset to get a 1.5 cup in the frame.

robbo
    Free Member

Sounds like a bodge job with extra cups and all. Any other presses recommended.

kaesae
    Free Member

Why not just have press adapter machined up, shouldn’t be too hard.

foxyrider
    Free Member

You can get different heads can’t you (i.e. non-cyclus aftermarket) – would it fit on the threaded spindle on teh Cyclus tool?

mrjmt
    Free Member

or you could get this

Not sure if it’ll do the top cup though. Maybe contact a cyclus dealer and ask if you can get the heads on their own.

robbo
    Free Member

Well I eventually went for one of these ghetto solutions from ebay and it worked fine nice and smooth insertion and the handle helped keep it straight to start with – recommended…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110796633579?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_694wt_1396

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cyclus headset press and tapered headsets?’ is closed to new replies.