Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Cyclists 'frightening' people in the New Forest
  • mudshark
    Free Member

They’re scared of these guys?

KZP894
    Free Member

There is a scene in a Peter Greenaway film where 2 cyclists go round a bend in the road and crash into a cow….

LapSteel
    Free Member

The one on the left is a right nutter!…..He’s got hammers in that knapsack!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I like the baseball cap style helmets 😉

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Strangely the article doesn’t mention the possible impact on the Forest of the point to point races that are allowed to be held annually.
    In these, huge swathes of Forest are opened up as car parks, which is an open invitation for anyone with a 4×4 to practise their off road driving skills. Then you have huge numbers of riders on horses charging across the Forest flat out.
    That’s not a problem is it.

DezB
    Free Member

Cripes, I’m so bored I just read the comments… apparently there is hatred for:

Cyclists (natch)
    Dog walkers
    Double child buggies
    Mobility scooters

what a lovely tolerant world we live in

Mike_D
    Free Member

I particularly like, ‘I’m not sure what risk a cyclist presents to a horse or cow. I certainly wouldn’t want to run into one, but I suspect it wouldn’t even notice if I did.’

/small bow 🙂

epicyclo

The answer to NF toffs whining is the old “Rufus” solution.

Give them something to be frightened about.

BermBandit
    Free Member
    40mpg

I’m a New Forest local and often scare myself with my cycling. Who should I complain to?

timbur
    Free Member

Drive through and head to the Purbecks IMHO. Much nicer but the locals don’t improve much.
    Tim
    (Dorset born and bread, strong in arm ,thick in head)

grahamh
    Free Member

juan
    Free Member

Cripes, I’m so bored I just read the comments… apparently there is hatred for:

Cyclists (natch)
    Dog walkers
    Double child buggies
    Mobility scooters

See peter, I was perfect going through the new forest on motorcycles, no one complain about motorcycles 😀

40mpg

A motorcycle passed me on the M27 last night. It was lying down and had no rider, so someone must have taken exception to its presence 🙁

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Graham Ferris is one of the vocal members of the local nimby brigade and does everything in his power to keep outsiders out of ‘his’ forest. His recent miltancy is linked (i think) to the recent sportives in the forest – quite a few of the local (by which I mean ‘moved into the area from london quite recently and don’t intend to share’) gang got upset at the number of bikes on ‘their’ roads and were quite vocal about it in local papers – was in the Red Shoot the weekend after the wiggle event and lots of the horsey set were in tutting about the number of bikes. I’ve also noticed a recent uptick in the number of ‘the forest is for horses’ comments when riding.

cinnamon_girl

Several years ago there was a memorable ride In the New Forest led by the Big Bike Bash supremo. We encountered some horse riders who had a pop at us. We weren’t on their private land but they obviously thought it was and we were. Some words were exchanged. 😯

Ghastly people. 🙄

garage-dweller

Poor journalism, poorly thought through nimbyism, an inability to understand that the road network is centrally funded and rampant stupidity. Well it’s reassuring to know that in these times of global economic turmoil that some things endure… 🙄

allthepies
    Free Member

That Ferris chap sounds like a right tool. The use of “Dr” in all the articles reinforcing this considered opinion IMO 😉

40mpg

One of Mountain Bikings most ardent detractors is the Verderer Anthony Passmore who takes great delight in bemoaning us in his regular column in the Lymington Times and occasionally Southampton & Bournemouth Echo’s.

Anthony Passmore’s Forest Notes

He is currently reporting such delights as:
    ‘flagrant disregard of the byelaws, usually through bloody-mindedness’
    ‘lycra-clad young men hurtling across the heath and lawns at speed’
    ‘Their passage is often accompanied by raucous yells which seem to be a required accompaniment of this “sport”’
    ‘the normal response is a torrent of abuse’

This behaviour is quite shocking and surely can’t apply to any of us?:
    ‘They turn up at a Forest car park, having driven from Southampton with the family four wheel drive wagon loaded with mountain bikes, intent on
    using the Forest. The Forest pays the price’

All this just from the first page of his latest Newsletter. Unfortunately this chap holds a position of some power in the way the Forest is run.

He goes on to say the Verderers have applied for ‘huge sums of money’ with the intent of launching an anti-cycling programme. The comments in the local press, I assume, are the start of this to gather support.

Is this a declaration of war? 👿

cinnamon_girl

How come Nu-Lab didn’t nuke the Verderers when they had the chance?

allthepies
    Free Member

http://www.zen84722.zen.co.uk/new_forest_notes/notes_oct11.pdf

When such miscreants are challenged

😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Several years ago there was a memorable ride In the New Forest led by the Big Bike Bash supremo. We encountered some horse riders who had a pop at us. We weren’t on their private land but they obviously thought it was and we were. Some words were exchanged.

Ah what I bloody missed that! 🙁

I think we should have a right proper group ride there, and harass moany walkers (leave the nice ones alone). Throw poo at passing cars. Or, right, set up a road block with a dead cah or something, then EDITED TOO NASTY

DezB
    Free Member

Several years ago there was a memorable ride In the New Forest led by the Big Bike Bash supremo. We encountered some horse riders who had a pop at us. We weren’t on their private land but they obviously thought it was and we were. Some words were exchange

Rather unnecessarily, I thought. Ignore the fudgers.
    Look! Here’s me and Lydon scaring people and wildlife on that very day!
    We definitely should do it again (now my hand’s better 🙂 )

cinnamon_girl

Elf – you rode in the New Forest at the Southern Festival! We didn’t upset the locals but DrP entertained them with his trials skillz 8)

Yeah, let’s all really hack them off. Forum Ride and rope in the Northerners too cos they’re quite vocal. You in?

Can’t believe that people have such an attitude – it’s so last century.

40mpg

Ooh, mass trespass time?

DezB
    Free Member

Here’s another (May 2009, that was)

scaredypants

CG it’s so 19th century – 1876 or something was when most of the bullshit the verderers view as the one true way was written

cinnamon_girl

😆

cinnamon_girl

scaredy – yeah, it’s so parochial. Dinosaurs. 🙄

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Right then – forum ride it is, I know the perfect leader!

Someone suggest a date??

ps. might involve a pub stop or 2 😆

jules.b
    Free Member

Great article, even better comments. Do you think that “From the Edge” and “MarkJBryant” might just have had their tongues in their cheeks? Im gutted to think I missed out on all this fun when I was in the new forest this week. I’ll take my bike next time, for sure!

winterfold
    Free Member

Some of those comments are brilliant MarkJBryant I salute you 🙂

People on here characterising horse riders as toffs pisses me off. Horses are just XC bikes for girls.

aracer
    Free Member

Do you think that “From the Edge” and “MarkJBryant” might just have had their tongues in their cheeks?

Well if you read all the commments, “From the Edge” admits trolling.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

rope in the Northerners too cos they’re quite vocal

Ooooh, a chance to upset some Southern nimbys for a change – i’m in!

(Who’s gonna put me up then?) 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You’re Northern, you will not require shelter as you are hardy and tough, and therefore will be fine out in the open…

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 nuke from orbit

Boring place full of horrible people (apart from the STW member in this thread of course).

Never been anywhere with so many people so keen to tell me what I can’t do, and I didn’t even take my MTB!

It’s just like a bigger version of Epping Forest with fewer trails and more nags anyway.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d even cross the water to join in a forum ride. Where and when please?!

Nick

If it coincides with a visit to my mother’s then I’ll join you.

Also, Mr Passmore is actively soliciting feedback “If you are able to assist with queries raised within the Notes, please email Anthony Pasmore directly.”

His e-mail address is apasmore@btinternet.com

cinnamon_girl

Also, Mr Passmore is actively soliciting feedback “If you are able to assist with queries raised within the Notes, please email Anthony Pasmore directly.”

Shall we all bombard his inbox then?

Nick

That’s not going to help, but maybe try to engage him in some meaningful dialogue that might change his perception of moutain bikers a bit?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Cyclists 'frightening' people in the New Forest’ is closed to new replies.