Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Cycling Birmingham to London by canal- 2 days optimistic?
  • ononeorange

Well done kayak23 and thanks for the excellent write-up.

Yep – that’s the M25. That’s near me and I reckon the canal is dry heavenly bliss at this time of year compared to endless deep clag everywhere else around us at this time of year.

I am inspired……

Looks like a good ride, well done.
    I’ve been thinking about doing the 74 mile Stourport Ring and the 109 mile Avon Ring.
    Looking at your pictures, and knowing what the sections I ride on every day to work are like, I think I’ll wait till the weather dries up a bit.

Sustrans do a few canal route maps if anyone’s interested in doing something similar.
    http://sustransshop.co.uk/by/category/88-canal–river-routes

white101

well done mate, good pics and write up. Its all about being on the bike. you’ll probably need a couple more of them under your belt before Peru!

racefaceec90

nice one 😀

as i live in devizes (kennet & avon canal) i would like to do devizes to london sometime (following the canoe race route),would cycle back too.

unfortunately the canal from devizes east is a lot rougher than devizes to bath (they haven’t renewed the towpath east of devizes) 😯

blindside
    Free Member

Kayak, veyr inspiring thanks for the write up.
    Me and a friend are stupid enough to be doing this in a few weeks. Planning on getting the train from Apsley to Birmingham at first light, then stopping one night in MK like yourself.

May i ask what hotel you stayed in at MK? they were alright with the bike in your room?

Thanks

disco_stu
    Free Member

The Stourport ring looks like a good days riding I’ve done parts of it (Birmingham to Woverlhamption, Netherton tunnel and Brum to Tardebigge) so this would be a good way of joining them up

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

liking the sound of this 🙂 … the stourport ring is tempting as well as im only 10 mins from the canal 🙂

kayak23

May i ask what hotel you stayed in at MK? they were alright with the bike in your room?

Hi Blindside.

The ‘hotel’ I stayed at was…. Not really a hotel. Weird setup, but basically they own a few houses in central Milton Keynes. They are four bedroom houses I think and basically you rent a room in one. I had the top room and there were some workmen in the other rooms. Each room has locks etc of course.
    They are nice people anyway and apparently the owner is an ex tour de France rider so doesn’t mind cyclists.

If you need a jet wash there is a garage very near. The girl leaves the office around 5 so you’d have to be there before that ideally. Depends on your pace and stamina I guess.

Anyway, the website is here……

Have a good one.

takisawa2

Great write-up. And bloomin well done.
    Really fancy doing this in summer.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Top effort that man. Thanks for posting the write up.

ashbladez
    Free Member

Sorry If im reviving an old thread, but no better thread for it.

9 of us are doing from Wolverhampton to London in August over 2 days.
    All in aid of a local charity ‘Compton Hospice’

I’m debating wether to use my patriot 66 or wether to look at hardtail.

dibboid
    Free Member

All in aid of a local charity ‘Compton Hospice

A excellent cause too. We donate loads of stuff to charity shops instead of selling on ebay and it’s always compton we take it too. They do a great job! Good luck!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Excellent …. still fancy doing this myself … maybe london to brum way though 🙂 …… train down and bike back to up my house 🙂

ashbladez
    Free Member

cheers Guys. Really looking forward to it, defo not gonna be easy tho.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

can anyone join in?

and if so, when is it exactly?

ashbladez
    Free Member

we’re doing it the 9th/ 10th August, train back courtesy of virgin, one of the team work for them.

I believe the organiser wanted 9 and thats what he has got so dont believe will be taking any more on. Sorry chap.
    However if your local/ in wolves, we will be doing lots of training between now and then, with many canal rides. Not really my cup of tea, id rather be on the chase or llandegla, but need some distance in to prepare for this.
    You’re welcome to come and ride,

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

we’re doing it the 9th/ 10th August, train back courtesy of virgin, one of the team work for them.

I believe the organiser wanted 9 and thats what he has got so dont believe will be taking any more on. Sorry chap.
    However if your local/ in wolves, we will be doing lots of training between now and then, with many canal rides. Not really my cup of tea, id rather be on the chase or llandegla, but need some distance in to prepare for this.
    You’re welcome to come and ride,

cheers chap no problem, sounded intriguing, not sure if training rides along the cut is my thing either?

The Wyre Forest tends to be our choice for weekend mayhem at the moment , if you’ve not been or don’t know it, or know it ,your welcome, i’m just kind of getting my bearings over there at the moment.

email in profile

cheers

Keith

ashbladez
    Free Member

Ok Keith Sound, well where do you live. I struggle to get far as I rely on mates who drive, I only have m/cycle license and no good for biking lol.
    I have ridden ribbesford downhill in the winter, not since its started to dry out, i believe this is by the wyre forest.
    We checked out sandwell yesterday, the new trail there is gonna be fantastic.

ashbladez
    Free Member

@ whathaveisaidnow

I will email you, sorry mate

kayak23

ashbladez – Member
    Sorry If im reviving an old thread, but no better thread for it.

I’m debating wether to use my patriot 66 or wether to look at hardtail.

Fair play to you, that’s adding another 35 or so miles to what I did I imagine, that’s going to hurt 🙂

How light is your patriot compared to your hardtail? I think rear suspension would be nice as there is relentless bumps and wallows for a lot of sections. I would have liked that myself but my only full suss option was my NP Mega and it’s too much for that.
    I think my ideal weapon of choice would have been the hardtail but with a suspension seatpost.
    Still, either would be fine, whatever is most comfortable for extended periods.

Take some quick rolling tyres, and slime is essential. I had no flats on my trip, but later found around ten thorns in each tyre. I’d have lost so much time without the slime in there.

Are you going to camp?
    If you have dry weather up to and on the trip, you’ll be fortunate. I shouldn’t have gone in the winter as the towpath was predominantly hellish claggy treacle nightmare..

Good luck. Post up your experiences.

ashbladez
    Free Member

Thanks kayak. We are staying somewhere I believe. Yes definitely going for quick rolling tires and slime. I run an air shock at the min so not too heavy, set up isn’t great for the ride but around June I may get a bike through work which will be a hard tail. Thanks for the info.

gusamc
    Free Member

** you’ll probably be alright by then but bear in mind, the season, narrow canal paths, farmers, hedge trimming, hawthorn – in the last 3 week gf and I got 30+ punctures on two canal rides……..

**Edit ** CHECK FOR ANGLING COMPETITIONS – it’s in upper case as we had to go through one on Bath/Reading – carbon poled twunts one and all (*very few exceptions) but most got the hump and were slow to move their cradled poles all of which which were blocking the path – < 1 mph …… inconsiderate, thoughtless r soles

kinda666
    Free Member

Tubeless then 😀

Ash, don’t suppose your doing the ride with Andy Hooper are you??

Mister-P
    Free Member

I am planning to ride back to Northampton along the GUC from Milton Keynes tonight. The bike has already been in the workshop having extra Stan’s fluid in the tyres. I remember one morning attempting it and getting through all my spare tubes in less than a mile. It’s not the most exciting of rides but it is nice to be out in the countryside away from traffic.

kayak23

I must add that since doing this trip, I’ve found it very hard to cycle along canals again. It gives me nightmares…
    Perhaps seek some counselling after your trip.
    😉

ashbladez
    Free Member

Thanks for the further info kayak, kinda, gusamc and mister p.

For all of you who may wish to donate here is the just giving page.

https://www.justgiving.com/Ryan-Fletcher4/

Name rings a bell kinda, but i know theres not an andy in the group

kinda666
    Free Member

He lives in Smethwick, but works at Wolves station (I’m in the signal box) I know he’s done it a few times but think he did London to Brum instead..

Houns

*strokes chin*

fattylee
    Free Member

I’m doing this end of may… Anyone bivvied or camped this route. Planning over 3 to 4 days with 4 lads from work all non cyclists where did you stop?

kayak23

Anyone bivvied or camped this route. Planning over 3 to 4 days with 4 lads from work all non cyclists where did you stop?

I didn’t camp/bivi but there are plenty of areas that I’d say you’d get away with it if you’re discreet. Some sections of the canal have very wide grassy towpaths where you could camp near the hedge, otherwise I suppose fields if you can find some that look suitable.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Cycling Birmingham to London by canal- 2 days optimistic?’ is closed to new replies.