Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Cycling after a heart attack.
  • PJay
    Free Member

It feels a little ironic that the day after posting a link to an interesting article on the health benefits of E-bikes (last Monday), I go and have a heart attack the next day whilst out cycling (I got stuck on the top of the Mendips with no phone signal).

I’m also right royally in the dog house for, having managed to limp onward and find a spot of phone signal, not calling an ambulance straight away and instead calling my father and waiting 45 minutes for him to to arrive so that I didn’t have to leave my bike (I realise with hindsight that this was stupidity of the highest order, but I don’t think that I was thinking straight).

To cut a long story slightly shorter, I got home yesterday and it appears that I had a total blockage of one of the three arteries that supply the heart (with some furring of the other two). If I understand things correctly I have received ‘moderate’ damage to the heart & lost 40% of its pumping capacity. At just 52 (next month) and with a lifestyle risk calculated at less than 5% it’s all come as a bit of a shock (apparently you can’t dodge bad genetics)!

There are some positives – A) I’m still here (never a given with heart attacks) B) There is an expectation that, with work & patience, I should be able to get back to my previous levels of fitness C) I’ve re-discovered my love of Terry Pratchett books and D) My wife has hinted that if I behave myself we might be able to look at a new bike for the new year (we’re fairly low income so I’ll have to be sensible about this).

I’m currently restricted to just 10 minutes of walking a day which will slowly increase over the coming weeks and I’ll be off work for at least 6 weeks. 6 months was the time suggested by the Consultant as reasonably to regain my pre-attack fitness (although I’m not a racer of Strava dude, just a keen recreational cyclist, so this shouldn’t really matter).

Apparently emotional difficulties are a normal part of recovery from a heart attack and as cycling plays a big part in maintaining my less than robust mental health I could be in for a rough ride.

Has anyone else gone through this and picked up where they left off; any tips to surviving the enforced inactivity? It could be an ‘interesting’ few months.

Also, I’d encourage folk to keep an eye on things for themselves as it’s easy to assume that because you’re fit and healthy it’s not something that will happen to you (I suspect many of us remember Steve Worland, who would have been fitter than me by several orders of magnitude); do get checked out!

iainc

Sympathies with you and hope you have a full recovery. I could well have been similar, age 53, lowish cholesterol and fairly healthy lifestyle. Some chest pain in the spring led to various tests and diagnosis of non obstructive CAD. Genetic it seems. So I’m on statins, aspirin and BP meds for evermore and recommended to ride and excercise as much as I can, but avoid VO2 max work, so keeping HR not much over 85% of max. That’s not so easy when mountain biking, but not too hard on road and gravel, with a decent Garmin and chest strap.

I have just taken delivery of a lovely Orbea Wild FS ebike though 😀

woody2000

Oof, sounds like you were lucky PJay – speedy recovery 🙂

do get checked out

How?

robbo1234biking

Hope you heel soon @PJay. I went to Cardiac Risk in the Young for an ECG to look for issues but I believe that only picks up certain things. You have to be under 35 as well to qualify and getting a space can be difficult. Other than that a doctor may be able to comment (@DrP?) about what is available.

PJay
    Free Member

do get checked out

How?

Yeh, this can be a bit of a problem. Apparently there’s no specific genetic test for a genetic predisposition and the NHS won’t investigate until you begin to exhibit symptoms.

You can keep an eye on your blood pressure & cholesterol although mine was fine on both counts.

Be aware of anything that might be a warning sign like chest pain or discomfort or similar in the left arm or neck & jaw. A family history is a massive red flag so don’t brush mild symptoms aside!

I was completely symptom free until about 6-8 weeks ago when on occasion rides I’d have a strange sensation (not pain) in my chest, throat & jaw; my wife had recently had a cold and it felt as if it could be a low grade chest infection (the fact that there was a sensation in my neck/jaw reinforced this but apparently this is ‘classic’ cardiac of which I was completely unaware of). On other rides it wasn’t there.

I did pop along to see the practice nurse but blood pressure was fine and the heart sounded fine (this is where my lifestyle risk was calculated as <5%). It was suggested that it could be a virus but I was booked in for a ECG via a general appointment (within 2 weeks rather than urgently) as a precaution.

Just be mindful I guess as it can be pretty catastrophic.

gallowayboy

Sorry to hear that, good luck with the rehab pjay and hope you get through with minimal ups and downs…
    This is a constant worry for me, I have strong genetic predisposition, but lifestyle, cholesterol and bp all look good so they wont investigate further…

philjunior
    Free Member

All the best, I remember being off the bike for a month and MTB for two with a broken bone a while back. Not quite the same level of risk associated with overdoing it, but it still left me feeling pretty fragile.

Similarly I noticed my dad clearly feeling very mortal after a non specific chest pain episode.

It’s bound to affect you mentally, all the best getting back into things and I hope you have a smooth recovery. Hopefully your wife’s support will help you, it sounds like she’s a keeper 🙂

moshimonster
    Free Member

At just 52 (next month) and with a lifestyle risk calculated at less than 5% it’s all come as a bit of a shock (apparently you can’t dodge bad genetics)!

Scary indeed as that is pretty much me too! I will be 52 in December, had a lifestyle check-up last summer and scored <5%. I haven’t had any symptoms yet, but my dad did have a heart attack in his early 50s, although he fully recovered and made it to 79 when he eventually died of another massive heart attack. He did have high cholesterol though and his diet was old-school fry ups and fatty red meat. He was on blood thinners long term after his first heart attack. He had also pretty much given up on exercise in his 40s (after being a competitive tennis and football player in his 20s and 30s). I was hoping I could avoid all this by eating well and keeping fit, but who knows? I’m still not sure if my dad’s problems were genetic or lifestyle or both!

Anyway, hope your recovery goes well and you live a long healthy life. I will definitely keep an eye out for any mild symptoms too and certainly not ignore them after reading this!

iainc

feeling very mortal after a non specific chest pain episode.

This very much +1. My aches on left side that led to diagnosis are still there, however reassurance from CT Angiogram which shows a couple of non obstructive 30-35% stenosis. Consultant never bottomed out what the discomfort is..

I explained to him that post diagnosis I was walking about feeling like a heart attack waiting to happen and he was really good at putting it into perspective, in that risk factors now on drugs are very much lowered and I’m much better off knowing and being on meds. He is a keen roadie, which helps and we went through my HR data on Strava at length.

His parting comment was that if I came into a fortune I’d be better off investing in a pension than life insurance 😜

DezB
    Free Member

All the best PJay – sounds like a similar (though more serious) version of events that I experienced with my TIA. Hey, didn’t catch in on video did ya?! 😉 Similar to you – all healthy and normal, then biff, life changes.
    Weird about the ambulance – I contacted my girlfriend, then my brother – never occurred to me to bother the professionals!

Speedy recovery.

DT78
    Free Member

Glad you are okay.

I have a real quandary – I almost continually have various pains, and breathing issues including pain in the left chest. I’ve had bloods / stool / and a 5min ECG – apart from a low resting, which is kind of normal for a cyclist it has all come back clear. Diagnose is IBS / anxiety. Which I don’t think it is, but, if it is ‘health’ anxiety (constantly thinking something is wrong) I’m doing my best to ignore symptoms and crack on with life… which despite over a year of doing all the right things still are there.

I’m starting to think about whether I should contact a private hospital to pay for scans for peace of mind.

wwaswas

DT78 – see if you can get one of those 24/72 hour heart traces run – much more likely to pick up problems than a spot check, I’d imagine. My wife also had a heart test done ‘under load’ (they give you a load of adrenaline and get you on a runnign machine) – might be worth asking after that too?

DezB
    Free Member

I’m starting to think about whether I should contact a private hospital to pay for scans for peace of mind.

Fake a TIA*, then you’ll get checked out! I mean, the actual episode was hardly anything, but the number of scans and test I’ve had have been quite amazing really.

*probably best not
    **but if you want to I’ll tell you what to say
    ***but don’t really
    ****honest
    😀

willard

First, SHIIIIIIT. Glad you are still around to tell us why people are annoyed with you.

Second, whilst I can understand why they are pissed off with you, I can totally understand about the bike. Try not to be too upset about the upset. Maybe we should suggest medevac and ambulance in remote areas should have bike racks…

Third, I can’t really offer much more than say to get well soon and take it easy. I know of someone that was back doing half marathons after a heart attack relatively soon, but I am not sure if they did the same thing that you did (i.e. waiting).

Most importantly, glad you are ok.

Markie
    Free Member

Last weekend we caught up with friends we see v infrequently. V v infrequently. Turns out one had had a heart attack five years ago! He is back to near as dammit full health – and has learned to play the guitar! His wife bought him an Argos special out of the blue on his first day back home and for want of anything better to do he started to learn from youtube. We saw a video – he now plays classical guitar very nicely (in as much as I can tell) indeed!

PJay
    Free Member

I’m beginning to think that my brother (who has much higher associated lifestyle risks) should look at the private scan option. The problem with not investigating prior to symptoms developing is that sometimes there are no warning signs.

I’ve had bloods / stool / and a 5min ECG – apart from a low resting, which is kind of normal for a cyclist it has all come back clear. Diagnose is IBS / anxiety.

I can’t recommend what’s best for but I had an ECG taken whilst in the ambulance which showed some anomalies but nothing that the paramedic could see was necessarily beyond normal variations; A&E had similar results but luckily took it further. Bearing in mind that my ECG during/after the attack wasn’t definitive, I don’t think that one I had booked would have picked up anything; my cholesterol was low.

The gentleman in the bed opposite me was awaiting a triple bypass after suprise results following a day surgery angiogram and I’m pretty sure that I’d heard him mention that his previous symptoms had been put down to gastric issues. I get the feeling that it’s the angiogram procedure (pushing dye through the arteries) that really shows what’s going on (I also had some sort of ultrasound scan, which was referred to as an ‘echo’, in hospital which showed up the damage done).

I think that where I was luckily was that I only had a single artery block (although it was completely blocked); the other 2 were described as ‘not normal’ and slightly furred but they’ll be managed with medication (of which I’m on fistfulls). I’ve no idea why only one went when it’s the same blood flowing through all 3, but I’m glad that it was.

Squirrel

Friend of mine had a “major” heart attack late last year age 60. Then had a quadruple bypass. He’s been back riding since Spring and seems fine.

firestarter
    Free Member

Get well soon mate

I’m waiting on cardio referral after I collapsed out running, bloods done showed high potassium, emergency retest and panic showed nothing. Doc booked ecg after the one done in the ambulance didnt look right, but all was well other than low hr and bp, but the doc also accidentally booked me a 24 HR ecg but said do it anyway cant hurt, turns out my heart skips beats while I’m asleep results say mobitz type 2 heart block, so will see what the score is fingers crossed its nowt. I’m only 45 and concerned as to what it could mean to my job as operational firefighter:(

mick_r

If you want some inspiration our canteen guy went from full cardiac arrest during a couch to 5k run (i.e effectively dead for a short time) to Ironman in under 3 years!

https://m.facebook.com/IRONMANEngland/posts/3021413357900134

fossy

All the best OP, and be careful for a bit, any trouble get back to hospital fast. I say this from experience with my cycling mate earlier this year. He was 53, cycling up a local drag near us, felt very strange. Free wheeled home then was not very well at all. Hospital. Stent fitted, but let out a day or so later, to await another stent. Dropped dead a few days later, just a week after the first heart attack.

So, any niggles, go get checked out. Follow docs orders.

Take care.

jamj1974

Don’t underestimate the potential emotional/mental impact. I’ve not had a heart attack and thankfully have v. clear arteries, but have had open-heart surgery in March.

Since then there have been a few hiccups physically, but the emotional and mental side has been hardest to deal with. I have suffered from depression for some time but this was something else.  It’s not been easy for my family either living with me.

My advice would be to see if you can get sometime professional to talk to.

footflaps

I get the feeling that it’s the angiogram procedure (pushing dye through the arteries) that really shows what’s going on (I also had some sort of ultrasound scan, which was referred to as an ‘echo’, in hospital which showed up the damage done).

The problem is the risk of undertaking this procedure exceeds the risk of most people having a heart attack, hence no Consultant would undertake one speculatively. Until you are symptomatic you won’t get one. A good friend, with stent, has enquired about this as he’d like to know in advance if he’s likely to need another and explored all the options. The answer, was not until you’re symptomatic, no matter how much money you throw at us.

And Pjay, very glad you’re still with us. All the best for your recovery!

infidel
    Free Member

Please think long and had before you do this:

Heart specific CT: A coronary calcium score (from CT) is only so accurate and a Coronary CT angiogram is still a relatively new test which is developing its place in cardiac disease management.

Whole body CT: These are advertised left right and centre. The real problem is what you do about the incidental findings. eg. You have the CT and it shows a nodule in your thyroid. You then are sent for an ultrasound scan of that and that leads to a needle sampling to diagnose. You then have a high chance of either having a non-diagnostic test or indeterminate result that leads to a hemithyroidectomy (which has not insignificant risks). All for an incidental finding. Or the CT reveals a lung nodule which then means an interval CT chest in 3 months and then at a year. Assuming no other nodules are seen on the 3 month interval scan which would then restart the clock as it were. And so on and so forth for the rest of the body. You risk putting yourself through so much downstream investigation and anxiety with these with a potential morbidity of their own. For example, in the last 10-15 years with thyroids alone the diagnosis rate of thyroid cancer has gone through the roof with an exponential increase in diagnoses but no change in the mortality rate from thyroid cancer – as on the whole 1. thyroid cancer doesn’t often kill and 2. the ones that do, occur and progress fast so that by diagnosis they tend to be advanced and are therefore unlucky to be seen at a random ‘just in case’ type image.

P-Jay – my Pops had a heart attack last week and is going through alot of what you are at the moment. My thoughts are with you – take it easy and listen to your cardiologist. You will need cardiac rehab (supervised graduated exercise) but things should get better. The only people who can give you a true idea of to what extent will be your cardiac team as they are the ones who will have seen your ECGs, your cardiac enzyme changes, coronary angiogram(s), echocardiograms and stress tests (amongst the gamut of other tests). Please seek and listen to their advice.

My very best,

infidel.

I’m a radiologist BTW

granny_ring

Sorry to hear OP.
    I can’t offer any advice but looks like others have been able to 👍
    Wishing you a good recovery, only thing I’d say is don’t rush it and follow the advice of the professionals.
    Good luck.

tails
    Free Member

Hope you recover soon, could you do some cycling on a turbo then at least if you keep over your wife can give you the kiss of life.

I have just taken delivery of a lovely Orbea Wild FS ebike though 😀

Was it from bike active? I follow their Instagram.

alanf
    Free Member

Has anyone else gone through this and picked up where they left off; any tips to surviving the enforced inactivity? It could be an ‘interesting’ few months.

Yes, I’ve have pretty much gone through exactly the same just over 3 years ago.

I’ve put details in a few threads over that time but here’s a brief synopsis.

I was running a coastal half marathon and with 800 meters to go collapsed after suffering a MI. My heart had stopped altogether and was effectively dead. I was resuscitated by CPR and defib (fortunately a cardiac nurse was running too and was just behind). Air lifted to hospital and stent fitted. within 3 hours of collapse. I had a 95% blockage in one artery but the others were clear (again this was put down to genetics/family history). My LVEF (pumping capacity) was down to 37% -anything below about low 50s is considered to be heart failure but medics said it could just be shock and may recover (3 months later it was back to normal).

I spent 3 days in hospital and was discharged. At first I was so out of breath doing anything. Walking a few hundred yards (really slowly) had me having a rest. Gradually over the first few weeks that improved, much to the dogs delight. I went to the local cardiac rehab sessions and built up under their instruction which was really helpful. After about 2 months I started doing some steady runs and after 3 months I was starting to up the tempo a bit.

I’m was pretty much feeling back to full fitness by about 5 months and have pushed on from there.
    I did my first Marathon a couple of months before (2:52) and in April I did London (2:36).
    I’m on a few meds but they don’t seem to affect me.

Take things slowly, listen to your body and also your physicians. Set some basic targets, like walking a mile or whatever your struggling to do currently. When you achieve it set another target and take it from there.

I even had some filming for Inside out for a piece about what happened and numerous radio show appearance which was all a bit surreal. I still can’t remember anything about the incident from falling over to waking up in hospital that evening which is a bit of a blessing as I doesn’t really seem that traumatic to me, there’s just a gap in my memory.

Anyway, you can get back to where you were or better. Don’t let it be a barrier to stop you doing anything. You will need to make changes and need to consider what has happened but you can work around that if you really want to.
    Good luck and I hope you can make a full and better recovery.

dropoff

This is all very interesting, I’ve recently had a Coronary CT angiogram after having chest pains in the left side. The resulting letter just stated that the results were “encouraging” so not sure what that actually means. When I talk to my Dr he tends to dismiss my worries and just tells me that I’m much fitter than most 53 year olds but I’m struggling at work and having difficulty breathing when on the bike. So thanks Pjay I think I may pursue this further.

iainc

Was it from bike active? I follow their Instagram

Hi, no, from Sprockets in Kilmarnock

FOG

One of our regular group of riders had a triple bypass recently. On a long climb he was moaning he had indigestion. His wife made him go to the doctors and he was immediately whipped off to hospital where he had a triple bypass. However he is now out on every Sunday ride as well as midweekers. He is careful but he is already approaching the level he was at before the op – and he is 72.

Stigheed

I can’t help you with a new bike but (due to those new fangled standards and my gullibility) I do have some wheels that no longer fit my bikes. I would happily donate them if you can get parts from elsewhere to build something up. Sounds like you will have some time off the bike. If you can’t ride, tinkering is the next best thing!

PJay
    Free Member

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes, inspiring stories & even offers of parts; I really appreciate it.

I’ve still got a few aches and pains from the heart attack & as part of the post stent procedure (apparently to be expected). I tend to wake up feeling good but tire during the day (despite doing nothing). I’ve done my first 5-10 minute walk and immediately felt some tension in my chest & throat plus there’s just no strength at all in my legs; I’m beginning to realise just how debilitating the heart attack was, and that it really is going to be a long road to recovery, but it’s good to know that it’s possible.

with 800 meters to go collapsed after suffering a MI. My heart had stopped altogether and was effectively dead….

…. I had a 95% blockage in one artery

This is sobering. The pain I experienced wasn’t nice but it certainly wasn’t the worst I’d ever experienced. One of the things I’ve struggled over the last week is realising just how serious this was (although the professionals I’ve spoken to have highlighted what a big deal it is). I had one archery block too and if I’d lost consciousness & had my heart stop there’s a good chance that I wouldn’t have been found for some time; the outcome could have been very different (it also reinforces the stupidity of waiting 45 minutes in the cold to get my bike picked up before calling an ambulance)!

I hopefully should hear from the local Cardiac Rehab. people shortly and I will listen to their guidance.

Bike maintenance wasn’t excluded from my list of possible recovery activities by the RUH’s Cardiac Rehab. Nurse but I haven’t had the nerve to broach recovering my bike from my Dad yet; I can’t imagine that it’s going to be allowed for some time (considering what I put my Wife through – and could have put her through due to my idiocy, I think I’ll do as I’m told).

Thanks again for all the kindness 😀

dirtyboy

Check if you have critical illness cover on your mortgage.
    Paid out when I had my heart attack @bpw about 4yrs years ago

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Cycling after a heart attack.’ is closed to new replies.