Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • CX experts
  • dazzydw
    Free Member

Looking to join the kids and enter some of the NDCXL races this year. I have a Cotic roadrat for daily commuting duties and considered using it for races, getting a spare wheelset but the thought of changing wheels every weekend faffing around with mudguards panniers and that horiz dropout convinced me I need a CX bike. Used. With discs cos its muddy init.

What’s the deal with frame sizing for CX? I’ve been told to downsize vs raod bike. If I follow this I would go from 54cm to a 52cm CX. And surprise surprise there are sod all 52cm CX bikes for sale anywhere. Lots of 54. And very few with disc, I guess discs are only just reaching the world of the ‘we fear change’ roadie.

Any expert reccs?

m360
    Free Member

Dunno about fearing change, I’m sure roadies were the first to embrace titanium, aluminium, and carbon fibre.

As for the rest of your question, dunno, I just bought a 56cm CX bike that seems the same size as a 56cm CAAD8 I also tried.

Boardman CX is available with discs in 50cm and 53cm, so worth sitting on them for a try.

firestarter
    Free Member

normally its advised to ride a cx bike with a slightly shorter ett than your road bike. These days most cx bikes have shorter tt than same size road bike. Im a 54 on road bike and 54 on most cx bikes but there are some exceptions. Check geometry on what ever it is your looking at

dazzydw
    Free Member

So an older 52 or a newer 54?

neilwheel
    Free Member

The BB is usually higher on a CX frame.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Just get a CX bike the same size as your road bike. Top tube will be shorter by design usually.

You can always do the first few NDCXL races on a MTB before it gets muddy? Hilton’s worth taking a MTB to anyway – rather bumpy 🙂

longstuff
    Free Member

The first round last year at Hardwick hall was rather bumpy to!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘CX experts’ is closed to new replies.