Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • CX Bikes With 15mm Front Bolt-Through Axle
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Is this going to become a thing, or are Giant just making the choice of aftermarket wheels available, that little bit smaller?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/showcase/tcx-slr/#technologies

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Stupid, is this a bike to go between cross bikes and xc bikes? I suppose if racing it’s not a drama cus chances are have 2 bikes so the extra time changing a wheel if punctured isn’t a problem.

Twists my nipples all these cross bikes with disc brakes and now this. And monster cross? What on earth is that? Get a mountain bike!

When in a cross race, bar the peaks, does one need extra stiffness around that area? For trail riding you say? Get a mountain bike!

jameso

‘braking precision’?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Seems perfectly sensible to me.

Seeing as CX bikes are essentially a XC bike with funny handlebars and a stiff fork, now giant can use their XC bike’s wheel stock on the CX models too.

Although ‘steering stiffness’ and ‘braking precisions’ sounds like the kind of utter guff that could only be produced by a marketing department.

wwaswas

Maybe Email Planet X and see if they have anything like that available or in the pipeline?

#innocentface

schmiken

Seems sensible now disks are becoming commonplace in CX.

Jamie
    Free Member

Maybe Email Planet X and see if they have anything like that available or in the pipeline?

Houns

Good idea imo

chakaping
    Free Member

Never used a CX bike with discs, do they make the fork twist a bit?

MSP

Stupid, is this a bike to go between cross bikes and xc bikes? I suppose if racing it’s not a drama cus chances are have 2 bikes so the extra time changing a wheel if punctured isn’t a problem.

A 15mm through axle will make the sum total of sweet FA in the time taken to change a wheel.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Cyclocross bikes with discs are disgusting, it’s like a downhill bike with v-brakes

Jamie
    Free Member

I should add I am neither for, or against, just a shame I wouldn’t be able to use my Kinesis crosslight wheels if I got the TCX.

£995 for a 105/disc equipped bike seems a very good price, though.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Cyclocross bikes with discs are disgusting, it’s like a downhill bike with v-brakes

chakaping
    Free Member

It does indeed.

Doesn’t look like there are any mudguard eyelets though?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

No mudguards allowed in CX.

You must be wanting some other subcategory of cycling, if you want mudguards.

mrblobby
    Free Member

When in a cross race, bar the peaks, does one need extra stiffness around that area? For trail riding you say? Get a mountain bike!

Tend to agree with this. (edit: that applies to discs too.)

It’s a bike for racing, why would you want to fit mudguards?

Edit: manufacturers definitely seem to be targeting one of 3 categories with their “cyclocross” bikes. Those used for actual CX racing, those used for commuting (basically softer road bikes with fatter rubber, lower gearing and possibly discs) and those for a general messing about on a mix of road and trail rides.

chakaping
    Free Member

Use your imagination chump.

jameso

Those used for actual CX racing, those used for commuting (basically softer road bikes with fatter rubber, lower gearing and possibly discs) and those for a general messing about on a mix of road and trail rides.

Aye, but that’s 2 categories to me. Race, or non-race jack of all.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Use your imagination chump.

Wasn’t being entirely serious with that comment 😉

The TCX is meant to be an out and out CX race bike, as has been said mudguards have no place in CX racing so why fit eyelets? Similarly I wouldn’t expect to find eyelets on a road bike intended for racing.

Aye, but that’s 2 categories to me. Race, or non-race jack of all.

Yes, quite a few bikes straddle some of those categories, but I think if they do they are compromised in some way.

brant
    Free Member

It does indeed.

There is a hole front to back through the fork crown.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Must have a keener eye than me as I can’t spot it in the photos.

antigee

the through axle makes sense as reduces tendency for brake to twist the wheel out of the fork

think a while back someone posted a link to why the road rat had the disc calliper forward of the wheel as a way of dealing with this – suspect will be the norm on road bikes as think smaller rotors increase the leverage rather than decrease

senorj

I like the look of that tbh.

Never used a CX bike with discs, do they make the fork twist a bit?

I have the hope adaptor disc brakes – I haven’t felt the fork go ,but I’ve had to tighten the headset two or three times. May have to stick another spacer on top. 😕 maybe 15mm would be an improvement? – it was on my mtb fork.

antigee

too late to edit

suspect will be the norm on road bikes as think smaller rotors increase the leverage rather than decrease

meant to say through axle may well be the norm not the forward calliper

scotroutes

And here was me thinking it was all marketing.

brant
    Free Member

Must have a keener eye than me as I can’t spot it in the photos.

brant
    Free Member

Does the fact it’s a carbon frame and carbon bladed fork (alloy steerer) come into it, or are you just after a £999 bike?

brant
    Free Member

I’m not sure I really see the point. But I’d quite like a set myself 🙂

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

That Giant TCX SLR 2 does look a cracking weekend CX/weekday commuter for the money – mudguards should fit (there are eyelets front and back) although no bridge on the seat stays so I’m not sure how it will mount up there, but Giant also claim ‘hidden’ rack mounts too so i guess there’s some sort of bolt on mount. Also, the cheaper model doesn’t look like it has a 15mm axle although the website mentions it does. I’ve sent Giant some questions, will update if I get a response.

Jamie
    Free Member

Ok, so is the new TCX an out and out cross race bike, and not a:

non-race jack of all.

?

(there are eyelets front and back)

Where on the front?

Here is a close up of the back wheel, which seems to show the rear ones (click to make biggerer).

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hmm, it mentions “hidden rack mounts” on the frame, doesnt say anything about the fork though.

There’ll probably be some cheap Genesis CX bikes going soon, since they’re released the 2014 models. Could be an option if you want guards.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Giant have confirmed to me that the TCX SLR 2 has rack and mudguard mounts front and rear (adaptor supplied for the seat stays to add a bridge/mount). It is standard QR on the fork though. The higher end models that are 15mm TA on the front (and more than twice the price) use the same frame so the rear mounts are the same, but the forks don’t seem to have mounts for mudguards (but to be honest I don’t think anyone buying one of that spec will be using it for commuting!).

Hope that helps.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s really relavent as I’d not expect to find myself 5ft off the ground (and sideways, and heading for the ground at the wrong angle)too often on a CX bike, but on a particularly bad (crash) landing I managed to rip the QR axle out of the dropouts on my 29er.

And that was without bending the crest rims!

It’s one of my main reasons for looking at suspension forks for the el-mariachi, to get a through-axle (rigid TA forks are slmost as much as the suspension ones!).

I suppose it’s a race bike, they’ll have decided a 15mm axle is lighter than the extra reinforcement it’d need with a QR to cope with a disk brake?

chakaping
    Free Member

This bike has now moved to the top of my “if I got a new bike even though I really shouldn’t” list.

antigee

scotroutes – Member

And here was me thinking it was all marketing.

not all 99% maybe think this is the 1% that actually fixes a problem

Jamie
    Free Member

Giant have confirmed to me that the TCX SLR 2 has rack and mudguard mounts front and rear (adaptor supplied for the seat stays to add a bridge/mount). It is standard QR on the fork though. The higher end models that are 15mm TA on the front (and more than twice the price) use the same frame so the rear mounts are the same, but the forks don’t seem to have mounts for mudguards (but to be honest I don’t think anyone buying one of that spec will be using it for commuting!).

So they are contradicting this, then?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/go/?c=UK&axid=4015092

clubber
    Free Member

but on a particularly bad (crash) landing I managed to rip the QR axle out of the dropouts on my 29er.

So, the QR releasing quite possibly saved the crash bending the fork/frame compared to an unyielding thru axle?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I really like the idea myself but I’ll hold off getting one until the rear goes 12mm bolt through.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Fraid so. You can tell on the full size images that it’s a QR.

Jamie
    Free Member

Fair enough.

Anyway. Giant UK seemed to have just added the new 2014 TCX SLRs, plus others, to their website.

Edit:

@bacondoublechee

While you’re talking to Giant, ask them when shops will have stock and how they have done their internal cabling 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘CX Bikes With 15mm Front Bolt-Through Axle’ is closed to new replies.