Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • CX 24spoke wheel tough enough?
  • D0NK

linked to this thread
    Got the option to buy a cheap light CX wheel but it’s 24hole front wheel at first I though no chance but thinking about it, I’ve been running a hope xc3 24spoke wheel on the front of a 5″ FS for a few years now, haven’t thrown it down snowdon or owt like that but plenty of local, peaks and lakes rides, still in good nick. XC3 is straight pull tho, the cx has standard spokes dunno if this makes a difference.

So what do you think? Will I die be forever bending/truing/replacing the rim?

clubber
    Free Member

Depends on the wheel – rim in particular. I rode Aksiums offroad for a while and they’re low spoke count and I’m heavy. Mind you I broke a flange on the rear one but that was a common problem on road too.

LS
    Free Member

Depends on you as much as the wheel – I rode 16 spoke radial fronts for years in CX, no problems at all.

njee20
    Free Member

As above, far more to it than spoke count.

I spent two years riding my 20/24h Race X Lites around Ashton Court/Leigh Woods on a cross bike, they’re still on my Madone now, 6 years later, never even needed truing.

I’d not worry too much.

D0NK

Sorry yeah should have said, stans hubs, 24 spoke, stans alpha 340
    Been running shimano road wheels for >5years with iirc 18/20 spoke counts so know factory wheels work well with few spokes.

I know it depends on rider but I have very little experience of CX and lightweight parts. On my MTBs I tend to be rear heavy, rear tyres and wheels get a pasting but front ones seem to wear well, CX position is a lot more nose heavy tho. Hence my asking around 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

To be honest I’d put those on par with my Race X Lites – they’re a lightweight road wheelset, and like I say, mine have been fine.

Going to depend in part what sort of terrain you’re talking – actual CX stuff, or riding your ‘cross bike off road.

D0NK

currently just using the cx bike for commuting so fireroad, mud and gravel kinda thing, but I want to start doing some of the tamer local mtb trails once I get gears on it. Does “actual cx stuff” = muddy fields?

nedrapier

I’ve just bought the very same wheels from a well known Dorset based bicycle shop (£299 – if that’s any use).

I wanted a lightweight wheelset that would take some abuse offorad but still take road tyre pressures.

I was also concerned about strength, but they’re the same weight rim as the Iron Cross CX rim, so strength should be similar. Stans recommend it as a CX rim for riders wanting to use std. road tyres as well. And the large owner of said Dorset based bicycle shop said he was getting on fine on his 24/28 iron cross wheelset. He’s got 30kgs on me, so I reckon I should be fine.

I’ve taken it down some rubbly paths and down a few steps (relatively gingerly, as I was on 28c GP4Seasons – thanks garmin connect!) No probs so far.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘CX 24spoke wheel tough enough?’ is closed to new replies.