Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cwm Carn DH Uplift
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Whats it like? Going for the first time in a couple of weeks, I’ll be on my 140mm full suss.

alfabus
    Free Member

I’ll be on my 140mm full suss.

bumpy.

I’ve not done an uplift day, but I have ridden up and done the DH course on my 575 – wasn’t too bad, but the big jumps were beyond me – including the road drop… the bottom was chopped up really bad – presumably because it gets all the traffic from the people who push up.

You’ll be fine, but your forearms will hurt.

Dave

roddi18
    Free Member

Read this. Same question 5 days ago.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cwm-carn-1

scruff
    Free Member

Its a good day, the top isnt very difficult but you can start hitting higher speeds once you know whats coming. I believe there has been a few changes around the underpass, the bottom jumps can be big and really kicky but most have a smaller option or you can just slow down. The road drop is easier than it looks, nice steep landing makes it easier to do but not to look at, section after that is proper warp speed if you let the bike roll and hit the MTFU button. 140mm bikes fine but put the chunkyist tyres on you have.

lunge

I did the uplift day on a hardtail, it was hard work but generally fine. the road drop is the biggest feature and that just gets bigger the fast you hit it.

molgrips
    Free Member

To my shame I have not yet plucked up the courage to do the road drop. I KNOW damn well it’s easy but still.. I think it’s just how scary it looks.

MRanger156
    Free Member

How does the road drop compare to the drop off at glentress?

scruff
    Free Member

MRanger156, about the same as the RH one iirc.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Excellent, that’s about my limit!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s fine on a 140mm bike, arm pump prevented me taking the last run of the day though. Just stuck a bash guard and some Kenda 2.35s with DH tubes in on a Five and was good to go.

Never did get in the mindset for the road drop but even the ‘chicken run’ is a touch intimidating on the first run if you’re not a ‘DHer’ but it’s actually fine, still quick and doesn’t ruin your run so it was easy to keep avoiding the road drop.

Roblilly
    Free Member

Rode it on my hardtail 2 weeks ago. The new section is just after the tunnel and traverses across. Some rooty bits and a few twisty drops but all ok. Great fun and plenty of alternative lines available until you get comfortable.

(BTW I crashed in the afternoon and snapped my front brake clean off at the top jumps)

blinty
    Free Member

live near there and ride it quite regularly on my orange five with no problems apart from a few pinch flats mainly on the big berm after u go under the bridge! as for the road drop I have done it just for the sake of it but the easy line next to it gives u a better line for the next corner! enjoy 🙂

dingabell
    Free Member

I did it on my 575 and had the time of my life. I went months ago and I’m still banging on about it. Top guys driving you up on the uplift too. Agree with scruff-stick the biggest tyres you can fit on. I only had 2.1’s and they took the piss that they were a bit skinny for DH. I think they may have had a point.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cwm Carn DH Uplift’ is closed to new replies.