Home Forums Bike Forum Cutting out a stuck dropper post- will i die?

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Cutting out a stuck dropper post- will i die?
    squirrelking
    Free Member

If anyone reads this in the future, ignore all the **** about, save yourself the hassle and just find someone with a post puller to do it for you.

OP you’ve really buggered up now, how are you going to drill it? Seriously, send it to someone professional, you’re at the point where you stand a good chance of doing irreparable damage.

suspendedanimation

Hard to think how much worse this could be going, but at least you’ve only flared the seattube slot a little.

Is there not enough now to grip, mole grips around some rags, whilst you try freeze spray again?

And I’d still be soaking that all day every day to help penetrate it what you can.

suspendedanimation

£80 quid for the seatpost man (who would have saved the post probably) would have been a lot less stress but I do feel sorry for you op as these messages reminding you of that doesn’t help much and I can imagine you must be pretty fed up with it

woodster

No chance the lower is steel. Has the caustic soda really not touched it?

squirrelking
    Free Member

I do feel sorry for you op as these messages reminding you of that doesn’t help much and I can imagine you must be pretty fed up with it

I was making the point that at this stage you’re going to need a bloody long drill, a bloody long chisel and a very steady hand to even stand a chance of drilling it out and freeing the remnants. The only alternative is to get a bloody long drill, a bloody long tap, some threaded bar and a slide hammer and hope that shifts it. I’m not confident it will, it needs jacked out but how you do that without damaging the seat tube throat is beyond me. Then it will need reamed regardless.

Seatpost man can probably still get it out, the puller could easily do what I’m describing without damaging the frame. There is no sunk cost fallacy here, besides the already totalled seatpost.

Jordan

Might sound counter intuitive but a good smack downwards might loosen things a bit. Maybe clamp some mole grips around whats left to stop it going to far in.

finbar
    Free Member

The frame is looking distinctly haggard round the slot now, I think you’re in frame repairer territory….

shrinktofit
    Free Member

Just wallop it further down and forget about it, new external hose dropper for you :good:

hellothisistom

broken the forum too now can’t upload the photo

So for visualisation purposes this bottom bit is now 8 inches or so in. So it’s rideable now with a a standard seat post going in much past it’s minimum depth. I really don’t think the frame has taken real damage, it’s a steel frame and the seat lug is only slightly flared a the top

Yes obviously in hindsight the seat post man was the better idea, less helpful there not being a similar set up anywhere near.

suspendedanimation

Can’t work out how to quote someone but @squirrelking it wasn’t a dig at you or anyone, just genuinely feel sorry for the op

Caustic soda would still work I’m sure. I’ve done 4 or 5 that way. I’d not leave it in there it would drive me nuts

RustyNissanPrairie

Adjustable reamer? – you’d need to be able to measure the remaining elements of the seatpost to figure if it would work or not

Can’t get the eBay link to work. Search for

“Expanding Adjustable Hand Reamer HSS Cutting Tool 6-84mm All Size Metric Reaming”

However – £40

suspendedanimation

Any updates mate? If you want to sell me the stooge cheap I love a project ?

suspendedanimation

Come on chap, we are dying to find out the progress

citizenlee
    Free Member

Maybe he eventually died. RIP OP.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.