Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Cutting back on spending
  • dangerousbeans
    Free Member

druidh – Member

dangerousbeans – Member
    Private tends to pay worse in general, especially in my line.

You need to pop that up in a few of the other threads….

Aye we’re desperate for crap nurses looking after the sick and dying so long as they do it as cheaply as possible.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

It’s not the local retailers who are shafting you, it’s Government and big business.

Try not to hand over your cash to Tesco/Asda if you can possibly help it. If you’ve got time, use a market for your veg and if you don’t do it already try to cook from scratch.

We go on pretty cheap holidays, bike touring/camping etc. – lots of fun. Next year we’re doing a 2 week house swap with some people in Germany, so zero accommodation costs for 2 weeks near Munich.

If you want to go a bit further we have a wood burner that burns wood that I scrounge and an allotment (tonight we had celeriac mash + roast jerusalem artichokes + some nice Taste the Difference chippolatas from Sainsburoids that were on offer – so for £2 I fed 4 of us with as much tasty food as we could eat)

Strangely (if you’ve got time to shop frequently) some of the more up market supermarkets do the best deals on stuff that is about to go out of date. Waitrose has been a particularly fruitful stop for buying enough half price meat to fill the freezer for 6 months at a time in the past.

We also do lots of shopping on ebay and also use it to get rid of anything we no longer want/need.

+ we only run one car (which doesn’t seem much of a hardship to me, but seems to be an incomprehensible inconvenience for some people), we don’t have a TV (although obviously we’ve got a computer and we watch stuff on iplayer) and we hardly ever buy music/movies – which turns out to be no hardship whatsoever as there seems to be already far more interesting stuff available for nothing than we have time to watch.

Also when we go on trips we always try to take a flask/sarnies etc. – can easily save you £20 on a day trip with the kids.

anto164
    Free Member

Cost saving tip #1.

Never go into a supermarket. Do your shopping online. It stops those ‘oo, look at them they’re cheap’ purchases on things you don’t actually need. Sure, you pay £5 delivery, but in honesty, you’ll be paying half that to go the shops anyway.

And take butties to work.

druidh
    Free Member

anto164 – Member
    Cost saving tip #1.

Never go into a supermarket. Do your shopping online. It stops those ‘oo, look at them they’re cheap’ purchases on things you don’t actually need. 😯

I’m worse online!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Not trying to get back at anyone or owt, just want to save as much as possible as things get tighter.

Think the potentially illegal stuff will be avoided.

Already use the market cos it’s cheaper for fruit and veg but bulk buys at the supermarkets save a lot.

One car which I have to have as it’s in my contract.

Kids like their gadgets/games – second hand route prolly best.

Suppose I’m just going to have to be much less consumer oriented and only buy the necessities. Think this will be true of many more of us in the near future.

razor1548
    Free Member

Move to Burma… sell the children… and take opium rectally!

You will feel a HELL of a lot better! 🙂

grantway
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    Are there any downsides?
    Yeah; she’s still alive….

LOL nice one yeah unfortunately she is !!

razor1548
    Free Member

Kids like their gadgets/games – second hand route prolly best.

I think what is actually ‘best’ is to make sure you can type ‘probably’ without it causing you undue pain or fatigue before you bring more semi-literate children to throw on top of the already growing pile!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Say you don’t need no diamond ring
    And I’ll be satisfied
    Tell me that you want those kind of things
    that money just can’t buy
    For I don’t care too much for money
    Cause money can’t buy me love
    Ooh, can’t buy me love, love
    Can’t buy me love, no

the-muffin-man

Not trolling with this question – but do you have to be part of the government scheme?

Can both (or one of you) opt-out and start a private pension? eg. Pay what you currently pay into the state pension into a private pension fund, but then say top that up with another £200 a month into ISAs or other funds* that you can access if you really need to (unlike a pension pot).

(*like paying of a mortgage a lot quicker if you have one).

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I think what is actually ‘best’ is to make sure you can type ‘probably’ without it causing you undue pain or fatigue before you bring more semi-literate children to throw on top of the already growing pile!

You missed that I’d used ‘owt’ as well.

And some of my sentence structure is appalling.

Perhaps if I was as perfect as you my children would not be semi literate ( I believe it’s an Americanism to use a hyphen).

Ho hum.

Edit – I also found it interesting when having a quick look at your forum history that you had only started 2 threads. One to complain about spelling and grammer and the second asking if you were being ‘too optomistic

Good night

jota180
    Free Member

We went through a similar situation during Thatcher’s revenge of the 80s

We both lost our jobs and had to obviously cut back everything
    1st to go was all the insurance policies (you don’t really need them) and we returned everything we had on HP – telly, washing machine etc.

When we came out the other side of it, we made a decision to never need 2 wages again, so we’ve just lived on the one wage since

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Cutting back on spending’ is closed to new replies.