Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cut out saddles
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

Having some rather unpleasant numbing issues on the road bike, currently have a charge spoon but I’m thinking a cut out type saddle may help.

Any recommendations for something to try?

I don’t want to spend a fortune ideally…

twonks

I used to get a numbing of the man sausage when pushing uphill. Must be the slightly more aggressive and lower position compared to non uphill.

Better shorts helped keep it off for a bit longer (bibs under baggies) but in the end I titled the nose of my saddle down in small increments until I felt I was sliding off it then backed it off a bit.

Ended up with quite a drop from level on the saddle but no more numb bits.

Also got a SMP Hell saddle on the mtb which I’ve not had any issues with at all.

turbo1397
    Free Member

I had the same problem. Most specialzed saddles have a cut out, it’s just finding which one suits. I’ve had a similar problem.. tried so many seats. Finally plumped for a selle Italia novus flow. Evans do a 30 day trial. I went through 5 different saddles before finding the right one!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Rule of thumb is:

Find the width you’re comfortable on, either by trial and error or by measuring on the specialized/Selle Italia/Fizik measuring kit.

Then the need for a cutout and the size of the cutout is mostly down to your flexibility, specifically your hip flexors. A lifestyle of doing desk work, watching TV and cycling typically shortens them (because cycling doesn’t stretch them like walking/running/or pretty much any other sport does so actually compounds the problem). Tighter hip flexors pull your pelvis forward (anterior tilt), which pushes your notcher down/back, and puts pressure on it.

Spend all day walking and sleep on your back, probably ok with a flat saddle, sit at a desk, ride a bike and sleep in the fetal position, probably need a cutout of some description.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Thats very helpful, and makes sense. 🙂

mrjmt
    Free Member

So, I’m happy with the width of the spoon, but can’t find out what the width actually is!

Anybody know?

Think I’m basically after a spoon with a cut out…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Further to TINAS’s informative post……

I wouldn’t worry too much about measuring your sitz bones via the Specialized method. It’s probably mostly marketing and maybe not very helpful, at least for road cyclists…..

Riding a road bike, you might well find that you don’t sit on your ischial tuberosity (sitz bones), but actually your ischial ramus which is a much narrower width. See the attached pic.

iainc

have a read on the ISM website : here

Numbness will be a thing of the past ! I have them on all bikes now after some surgery down there end of 2014. Comfiest saddles I have ever used.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cut out saddles’ is closed to new replies.