Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Custom Steel Frame – What steel?x
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Found a local frame builder who has a good reputation here. I’ve been in contact and his prices on a frame are fairly decenmt – around 800GBP for a basic frame – no forks though.

He has suggested Collumbus tubing – oversized for my bulk.

I know nowt about frame building, but I do know for that price he is quoting, even with some increase in cost, I can have a bike that actually fits.

For the fork, not sure if he builds them or not – any recommendations for off the shelf forks that take a rack?

JoeG
    Free Member

Columbus from Italy is one of the leading tubing brands, along with Reynolds and Tange (Japan). Like anything bike related, nerds can argue forever about which is best. 🙄

As Columbus is a brand, they have various lines/grades at different materials, weights, butting, and price. Have a look. 🙂

Even if the builder has a great reputation, does he focus on the type of frame that you’re looking for? For instance, a builder that makes fantastic road frames may be out of his element building a mountain bike.

Xylene
    Free Member

He builds all sorts – road, mountain, weird scaffold framed folding bikes.

Basically I want a disc equipped drop bar bike that goes off road, takes a rack, and can tow by tag a long, but can just be taken out for my weekend riding as well.

Current bike is ok, but is too short a chain stay to take a rack with my big feet, and it isn’t quite right – for the cost of custom here, I may as well get one made.

Xylene
    Free Member

The other option is up north, – a custom bamboo frame

cynic-al
    Free Member

My Shand is Columbus (Life IIRC), it was better vfm than the big brands, its light and rides how I want.

I might want something bigger/stiffer for loaded riding.

Like anything bike related, nerds can argue pointlessly forever about which is best.

FTFY 😀

RobHilton
    Free Member

Maybe Waltworks for custom forks?

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m always puzzled by framebuilders who build frames but not forks.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Much simpler would be my guess @ben ? Frames more complex shaping and also non round tubing meaning its not cost effective for subset of buyers who want rigid ?

qwerty
    Free Member

Not sure if your asking about a tubeset or forks, but I’d of thought if they can build a frame they can build some forks, cost being a separate issue. In terms of tubeset you’ll probably get to sit down with the builder and discuss the merits of different tubes, what your requirements are and match a tube to your build.

Xylene
    Free Member

He does forks, checked today – got to budget the build out.

However

I could go true niche

downshep

You could start sounding like Dick Van Dyke too….

bencooper
    Free Member

Much simpler would be my guess @ben ? Frames more complex shaping and also non round tubing meaning its not cost effective for subset of buyers who want rigid ?

The thing about forks is they’ve got a single point of failure – if your down tube snaps, you have a bit of time to stop usually. If your steerer snaps, you crash. I’ve heard some framebuilders say they’re not confident building forks because of that – not saying that’s the case here.

mick_r

Only doing it as a hobby, I don’t build forks at the moment for various reasons – the main one being as Ben describes above (and the day job involves breaking automotive things by fatigue, so I’m very aware how even little flaws can have big significance).

Other reasons:-
    No jig.
    Not got a beefy enough gas setup at home for heavy cast fork crowns.
    Not done much with lugs so would need to do lots of practice parts to cut up and check for brass flow.
    Not very clued up on available fork blades (esp what works with discs).
    Too many things to get wrong with disc forks (too heavy and stiff vs too flexible, failures, resonances etc). I’d need time and money to experiment.

Saying all that, my next two projects (a 36 er and a modern lightweight recreation of a mate’s vintage bike) will need custom forks so guess I’ve got to start learning 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, and for a hobbyist that’s perfectly reasonable. I just worry about commercial builders who aren’t confident enough in their abilities to build forks.

Xylene
    Free Member

^ Have you done any work with Bamboo yet?

My initial inquiries have resulted in being able to have rack mounts fitted, disc brakes, and I would look cool/nobbish/weird

bencooper
    Free Member

Me? No, I was always rubbish at woodwork at school, I prefer metal 😀

(Pedants: Yes, I know it’s grass, not wood)

woody74

Columbus tubing is very good and really one of the main alternatives available in this country other than Reynolds and Deda. Generally slightly heavier than Reynolds tubing but considerably cheaper. I’ve built a large road frame in Columbus life that came out around 1500g.

Xylene
    Free Member

Collumbus or Bamboo it is then

shandcycles
    Free Member

Generally slightly heavier than Reynolds tubing but considerably cheaper.

I **** hate moronic statements like that that end up on public forums.

forexpipz
    Free Member

Just replace the reynolds sticker with 4130 so it dont get nicked.

Rorschach
    Free Member

slightly heavier than Reynolds tubing

[img]http://i.imgur.com/UFRnIQk.png[/img]

Xylene
    Free Member

Cheers folks, good see it ending up in an argument.

The bamboo bike makers have been in contact a few times, my uber-nichness is calling strongly on that, but it would be a good bit more expensive than steel.

Any recommendations on types of bamboo to use?

forexpipz
    Free Member

Ask any zealot to blind test identical geo’s with identical welds on slightly different tubesets.

There isn’t a single person on this planet who has reportedly done so.

All you get is Edward saying his tubeset on his US import is significatnly better than the direct sales Taiwanese model (yet they have different geo’s and tube profiles) but his is better by far. Irrespective of the fact that the worlds best framebuilders/Designers are in Taiwan and a lot of EU/US desingers are heavily influenced by the knowledge and skills of said Taiwenese experts.

But his is better. Because it says made in USA or UK.

More to the point. Those tests would have to be in a controlled lab to rule out external factors.

Xylene
    Free Member

^ Mine will say Made in Bangkok or Made in Chaing Mai depending on which route I go.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Building forks…Shirley you buy pre bent blades, cut to length, braze it all together, done?

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’d wait a bit and get the new Ohlins fork, that’s due out soon

timbud
    Free Member

No one considered Reynolds 953 yet?

nasher
    Free Member

A friend has just received his custom 953 built rourke frame… bloody lovely

jameso

Man walks into a restaurant. Seriously. Walks into the kitchen and up to the chef and asks, “So where do you buy your meat?” Who would do that? Especially if you didn’t know your Rump Roast from a Porterhouse. Usually people choose a restaurant based on reputation and let the chef worry about the ingredients. But when it comes to bicycle frames, everyone wants to know what tubing is being used. This would make sense if customers had any knowledge about tubing beyond what they’ve read in magazines or in chat rooms, which is usually being written by someone who’s never built a frame. I always tell people to choose a builder they trust and not to worry about the tubing. Good builders know that you choose tubing based on what you’re building and for who rather than trying to use brand A over brand B. I don’t mind people asking, but before you do, ask yourself a couple things; what answer am I hoping for and why? Would there be an unacceptable answer? Do I trust Soulcraft to choose my tubing? In reality, the brand of tubing is one of the least important aspects of building a frame. I’m happy to tell you what I’ve used after I’ve built your frame, but I think it’s a subject that’s been hyped way too much and builders need to be trusted to make the choice for you.

– from Soulcraft bikes site.

mickmcd
    Free Member

There isn’t a single person on this planet who has reportedly done so

Oh there was a very popular bike magazine did this back in the mid 90s the outcome I think was that no one actually gave a **** …and they just rode the bikes, you can still find it online ,in fact i’m sure it was 7 maybe 8 frames from different builders

anyway some wizard can do it on a computer just pick your tubes and ask one of the super dooper framegus to weld it up for you

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877705815014216

ctk
    Free Member

Columbus OS with whatever carbon fork you like the look of. Bamboo too many unknowns especially if your a big bloke.

chiefgrooveguru

I wonder when Soulcraft wrote that? It’s quite common for decent restaurants nowadays to talk about the provenance of their meat – the breed, how and where it was raised, and why.

It’s also common in the bass world for customers to discuss wood choices with luthiers when buying custom instruments.

However a tubing brand means little – what matters is the specific alloy and how it is used.

alextemper
    Free Member

A decent custom frame builder will know to mix tubing brands, using their unique qualities to give the best combination of strength, weight and ride quality based upon the rider, the type of riding they do and the area of the frame that the tube is being used for.

A £800 budget seems reasonable but that would be under the assumption that the tubing you choose is either stocked or well used by your frame builder. A bundle of Columbus for example can cost a few £k so unless he plans to use it for other builds your budget may change once you have settled on a choice of tubes.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I wonder when Soulcraft wrote that? It’s quite common for decent restaurants nowadays to talk about the provenance of their meat – the breed, how and where it was raised, and why.

Went to a great place near rotterdam, where you have a discussion with the chef: pick your meat and discuss how & what method to cook it. not even that expensive.

soulcraft, sounds a bit like mcDs in comparison. actually it’s worse, McDs make a big deal out of 100% british beef.

cynic-al
    Free Member

alextemper who told you that….a framebuilder?

You can buy Columbus tubing by the tube ffs.

alextemper
    Free Member

Several. Maybe depends on the type.

timbud
    Free Member

McDs make a big deal out of 100% british beef

Isn’t ‘100% British Beef” the company though, not what they put in their products. 😉

somafunk

I never paid any heed to what tubing my Soulcraft was made from, I filled in my measurement details and spoke to Matt n’ Sean a fair number of times and then left him to get on with it, without doubt the frame built up into the best riding bike i have ever owned, and then 3 years later i broke it but Ben repaired it with the same Columbus down tube as the original – most likely for sale very soon as it’s still not built up, I’d love to be able to ride off road like i used to but seeing as my leg strength is getting less and less i’ll have to be happy with my coming Scott Genius 710 E-bike

mick_r

Alex – several framebuilders are fibbing to you then 🙂 Probably just a case of easier and faster to build using whatever they have suitable on the shelf. You can definitely buy tubes individually. I’ve never ever had to buy a Columbus tubeset or a bundle. Minimum order direct from Reynolds was also pretty small last time I enquired (1 or 2 frames worth).

mick_r

Did Ben have to clean off the blood Kenny?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Custom Steel Frame – What steel?x’ is closed to new replies.