Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Curriculum Vitae writing…
  • somouk
    Free Member

Hi All,

In what is turning out to be a bit of a hard economy to change jobs does anyone know of a decent CV appraisal and writing company? Just want to make sure I’m not shooting myself in the foot with my CV.

I can find millions on google but none have a decent recommendation from someone who has actually used them and had good results.

Cheers,
    Mart

Taff
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone can write it better than yourself. Just get others to check word/rephrasing etc.

EDIT: I did go to use one before but feedback was pretty poor. A friend is in recruitment and now vets all my CVs

highclimber
    Free Member

you want someone else to write YOUR cv for you?

it’s not theoretical physics!

somouk
    Free Member

I’m not asking someone else to write it for me… I want someone to review what I have written.

Preferably someone who sees a lot of CV’s, has industry knowledge and can offer constructive criticism.

highclimber
    Free Member

why didn’t you just ask on here? no need to pay for someone to look at it when you have the STW hive to help!

tails
    Free Member

There a couple of recruitment agents on here that offer useful advice, the others will pick it apart to make themselves feel better!

highclimber
    Free Member

speaking from experience with recruitment agents, they wouldn’t know a good CV even if it kicked them in the face.

A good CV is one that has no spulling mistaks, is tailored to the role is not too long or short not too wordy and is accompanied with a non-clichéd covering letter.

chewkw
    Free Member

If the recruitment agent is that good they get you the job regardless of how your CV looks like.

Garry_Lager

What’s your field? You could send me your cv on a beer mat in my line of work and if I liked it I’d interview you (seriously).
    More mainstream areas need a bit of thought – the cv needs to capture some element of the future. A lot of average cvs seem like retrospective lists, without really presenting an idea of what you’re going to offer – what lies ahead etc.

Not sure how you do this really – as I say I’m more in the beer mat school of cv writing.

Ambrose

OK- here is mine. I’m back in the game after 22 years in the same place. All well- meaning advice is welcomed. The formatting is neat and tidy, not as it appears below. I have removed locations and parts of my name etc to aid anonominity.
    Ironically I have only just finished preparing an assembly about on-line safety.

PERSONAL DETAILS:

NAME Ambrose
    ADDRESS Carmarthenshire.

MARITAL STATUS: Married, with two children.

EDUCATION:
    1974- 1980: Grammar School,
    School Lane,

O’ Levels:
    English Language ‘C’
    Mathematics ‘C’
    Chemistry ‘C’
    French ‘C’
    Geography ‘A’

Geology ‘A’
    Surveying ‘A’

A’ Levels

Geography ‘A’
    Geology ‘B’
    (with Merit in the special paper)

1980- 1981:
    College of Further Education.

O’ Level: Biology ‘A’

A’ Level Biology ‘C’

1981- 1984

University
    April 1982 First University Exam in Science:
    Physical Geography
    Geology
    Zoology

June 1983 Subsidiary Examination:
    Zoology

June 1984 Final Examination:
    Geology: Batchelor of Science.

1988- 1989 University College
    Post Graduate Certificate in Education.

1989- 1990 Institute for Higher Education.
    Foundation Certificate in Youthwork.

OTHER QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING:

1979 First Aider. Recently lapsed.
    1992 Physics for Science teachers, Open University.
    2000 NASUWT Health and Safety representative.
    2007 Heart Start trainer. NHS.
    2007 Assessment for Learning, King’s College, London.
    2007 Discipline for learning, In House.
    2008 Environmental research in Science
    2008 Using data effectively, Cardiff.
    2010 Effective behaviour management, Port Talbot.
    2010 Child Protection: Safeguarding Children.
    2010 Ceops trainer, on-line.
    2010 Tackling problem behaviour and attendance, Cardiff.
    2010 On-line Safety training, Cardiff.
    2011 Child Protection conference.
    2011 Measuring Well-being.
    2012 STEM training.

I hold a full, clean UK driving licence. I have passed the Local Authority Minibus driving test.

EMPLOYMENT:

1984- 1986 Freelance Outdoor Pursuits instructor, Machynlleth and Aberdyfi, Snowdonia.
    1986- 1987 Community Handyman, M.
    1987- 1988 Mapping and Charting Officer, Welsh Office.
    1989- current Science teacher, School,
    1989- 1992 Youth Club leader.

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

1989- current. Teacher of science at KS3, physics and biology at KS4.
    1996- 2002 Head of Year, progressing from Year 6 transition to entry to Further Education.
    1997- 2002 Health Education Coordinator.
    2002- 2008 Head of Learning, progressing from Year 6 transition to entry to Further education.
    2005- 2008 Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme Coordinator.
    2008- 2011 Assistant Head of Upper School. Responsibilities: inc. attendance and behaviour.
    2011- current. Assistant Head of Lower School. Responsibilities: inc. attendance and behaviour.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I am a member of the Science Enhancement Programme. I lead the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme after school and at weekends. I have helped to lead the pupil portfolio development within the science department and its extension within the family of schools. I have long been involved with the KS2-KS3 links and transition, both as a science teacher and as a pastoral leader. As a part of my professional development I completed a project incorporating thinking skills into KS3 Physics. I recognised the need for increased rewards in KS4 and introduced both the annual Christmas rewards trips and the School Prom. Through my efforts Action Aid benefit as a charity, Lepra likewise. I am an active participant in the Global Schools Partnership and I am currently organising a pupil exchange with M High School, Lesotho. I am a volunteer Scout activity leader, for both science and outdoor based activities.

INTERESTS:

As well as spending time with my family and friends at home and abroad, I enjoy participating in a wide range of outdoor activities including mountainbiking, canoeing, hillwalking, and mountaineering. I founded the Mountainbiking group and regularly organise social events and rides for the membership. As a family we sponsor two children through the charity Action Aid, in Nepal and Peru. I founded the Llandovery YMCA youth club and continue to be involved in Youthwork through the Glanymor after-school club, the Scouts and the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme. ‘

Ambrose

– the cv needs to capture some element of the future. A lot of average cvs seem like retrospective lists, without really presenting an idea of what you’re going to offer – what lies ahead etc.

I’m doomed 🙁

atlaz
    Free Member

somouk – I’d happily take a look but unless you’re working in IT/IS/technology in general (which being STW clearly is OBLIGATORY), I can’t offer you any industry advice. I have seen hundreds of CVs over the last years so I’ve got some practice in weeding out the toss.

In general I’d go with the above. Don’t tell me what you did without explaining what it was useful for, something about results, attainment, improvement etc. I hate 6 pages of the sort of prose you expect from an 8 year old “First I did this, then I went there, then I did this, then I moved to there”. Also, never ever explain why you left a job in the CV (and in the interview don’t slam or blame previous bosses/workplaces) as it has the air of an excuse about it for some reason. If you’ve had 800 jobs in a few years, explain it in the covering letter though.

spooky_b329

In my un-experienced opinion, there is way too much detail in your qualifications. Your later stuff supersedes the high school stuff, so just write something along the lines of ‘Eight O levels A to C’. Your ‘other’ stuff, might sound better if you pick out a few items that will give you an advantage over other applicants, rather than everything you can think of adding.

Alex

Start with what you want to do, then what you can do, then what you’ve done. I’ve had the joy of reading hundreds of CVs and the ones that stand out make you want to see the candidate, rather than another generic one with a tick box of qualifications.

I like CVs that have real project work in them, and some aspirations as well. I guess it depends on the job you’re applying for.

What I don’t like is all that mindless ‘business speak’ which means nothing. Starting with ‘self-motivated’ passing through ‘result focussed’ and ‘motivational leader’ and ending with ‘outstanding team player’

allthepies
    Free Member

In my un-experienced opinion, there is way too much detail in your qualifications. Your later stuff supersedes the high school stuff, so just write something along the lines of ‘Eight O levels A to C’.

+1, who give a chuff that you got a C in O Level French over 30 years ago ? 😆

alfabus
    Free Member

Your CV is backwards – most recent (and therefore most important) stuff at the top.

Details
    Employment (most recent first, summarise the stuff from ages ago)
    Education (degree and post grads in detail, A & O levels summarised)
    Other qualification
    Relevant interests / experiences

Keep it to 2 sides of A4.

ourmaninthenorth

Tip:

Condense it so that it fits on 1 side of A4.

Then expand the key stuff to tell them how you’ll be good for the new role.

It should then sit well under 2 A4 sides

Cougar

Your CV is backwards – most recent (and therefore most important) stuff at the top.

This.

Condense it so that it fits on 1 side of A4.

Not this.

atlaz
    Free Member

One page? I guess it depends on the stage of your career. But for roles like the ones I applied for last year or helped recruit for, if I’d had a 1 page CV I’d have been surprised. 2 pages minimum. That said, more than 4 and it’s in the bin.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Ambrose, your CV is backwards AND mostly contains stuff that is irrelevant now. The more experience you have the shorter your CV can be.
    For you the CV is really a career profile noting distingushing achivenets/featrues. You have not dealt at all with the core competencies that tehy will be looking for. Check a typical job spec sheet for your job. these are what you have to demonstrate, not the miriad of great stuff you have organised. fundamentally a head is looking for someone to take care of the business of teaching and fit in – i.e. save him work and make the shcool perform better in league tables.

tron
    Free Member

It’s backwards as many others have said. I would just summarise everything pre degree with x O levels, y a levels.

You’ve been in the same job for twenty years and you need more info than you have at present.

spacemonkey

Ambrose, I’d also cut out the over-use of “I”. No need for it. Gets tres annoying.

ourmaninthenorth

One page?

Normal in USA.

Re-read what I said: condense to one page for yourself, then expand the key stuff. Max 2 pages on submission*.

It’s a good discipline to cut out the bollox and get to the point.

*Unless you’re an academic, when 3 is normal.

somouk
    Free Member

Atlaz, thank you for your offer. I am indeed in IT. Could you drop me an email on martin.somerfield (at) gmail (dot) com and I’ll reply with my CV.

Cheers,
    Martin

pieterv
    Free Member

Bachelor (as in your degree) has no “t”

clubber
    Free Member

3 pages for my CV and very well received. The main things are to avoid irrelevances (your GCSE grades in detail for example), make it stand out (avoid clichés) and tailor to the job.

Ambrose

Many, many thanks folks. I’ll sort it tommorrow.

FuzzyWuzzy

You want the description of you and work history at the front (along with any qualifications important for the role). All the chaff about education and training courses can disappear towards the end. Personally I have a pet hate of people seemingly deliberately listing training and certs/qualifications together as it looks like you’re trying to trick the reviewer into thinking you’re qualified for some stuff even though you just went on a course (this is from reading IT CVs though…)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Curriculum Vitae writing…’ is closed to new replies.