Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Current affairs……..anyone not give a shyte?
  • ton

jimmy being a paedo
    lance being a druggie
    food price increase
    muslim hook bloke
    seriously, who gives a ****………anyone not give a shyte like me?

uwe-r
    Free Member

I must admit you do get quiet news days/weeks where nothing is going on, the papers keep churning out the same old rubbish waiting for the next scandal. This Jimmy thing will run until something else replaces it!

R4 were covering misogyny in Australian politics this morning – must be a slow day.

weeksy

me. I’ve not bought a newspaper in 20 years. Nor watched the news.

The only info i get is from posts i may find interesting on a forum.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m with you on those four “top” news items, ton.

transporter13
    Free Member

Not in the slightest

Don’t read the papers
    Don’t watch the news
    Never watch live tv.
    Don’t do faceache or twatter

Never feel like I’m missing anything

psling
    Free Member

I know what you’re saying but, like you, I find myself uncontrollably drawn to keep discussing the very same issues… 😕

Jamie
    Free Member

Just because you don’t use something, does not mean you have to be a dick about it.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I watch and listen to the news a few times a day but don’t have an opinion on any of it if I am being honest.

Don’t read the papers
    Don’t watch the news
    Never watch live tv.

Do you live in a cave.?

cardo

I haven’t bought a newspaper for 3 or 4 years now… oh tell a lie needed something to use for emergency dog piddle incidents recently… had to laugh at the news last night going on about Sarah Brightman (the one from farter of the opera with the big eyes) going into space … is this really news … I mean really?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

Just because you don’t use something, does not mean you have to be a dick about it.

Yeh but it makes em feel superior dunnit.

DezB
    Free Member

Sarah Brightman…going into space

Actually, I thought that was interesting! Space tourist to the ISS? Amazing.

toby1

Notice how quiet the news has gone on the execution of the family in France recently? Or did I just miss the end of that story?

PiknMix
    Free Member

I feel a bit isolated if I haven’t seen the news at least once a day.

transporter13
    Free Member

Jamie, how does me saying I don’t use some websites constitute being a dick about it,
    I merely said I don’t use them. I was trying to get across that I have no use for either media. I don’t in any way feel superior or special. I understand that they can be good for some people, just not me.

I also don’t live in a cave. I just find that life is simpler without all the crap that is thrown at us on a daily basis.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I think it’s important to be aware of what’s going on in the world, in terms of social & economic issues/events. You just have to filter out the drivel.

The media seems to be obsessed with giving a profile to stuff that I wouldn’t personally consider to be real ‘current affairs’ … i.e. saville, lance, muslim hook bloke … they may be worthy of a mention, but not to the massive extent that they get covered – we don’t need a blow-by-blow account of every little development.

Since media coverage became 24×7 & more accessible through an interwebs it’s become more and more Daily Mail-ish, almost like gossip.

I suppose they’ve got to find something to fill 24 hours of every day with.

20 years ago we pretty much just had daily newspapers and the 10 0’clock news, so only the really newsworthy stuff was covered.

Now, every little piffling bit of information is suddenly a ‘news’ item.

psling
    Free Member

May have something to do with faceache and twatter rather than the correct names…

ssbnreso
    Free Member

^ why not just say ‘facebook’ or ‘twitter’ then?

kaesae
    Free Member

Supply and demand, most people don’t have anything better to do 😯

So 💡 will ❗ read ➡ any 😐 old 👿 shyte ❓

Maybe the news should focus on why the UK has no real leadership or guidance and as a result absolutely no direction 😉

kaesae
    Free Member

I’m with transporter13 faceache and twatter it is. Ooh look at me! Me! ME!

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh look at me! Me! ME!

so shall we call this Singletwatworld for your sake? 😆

transporter13
    Free Member

Yeah, I got that

What does it matter what I call them?
    Apologies if I’ve come across all wrong, it’s just that I tend to make up silly names for things.

br
    Free Member

I use to be bothered, and then realised that no one else gave a 5h1t, so gave up worrying.

Pook

yeah cockchops, you did come across all wrong. Ooh look, I made up a silly name!

Dobbo

Pretty much with the OP, I hear the headlines but don’t really give a **** about any off it. Life’s too short to get stressed out by shit you can’t really change, I learnt that years ago.

transporter13
    Free Member

Thanks pook, very good

ricdiggle
    Free Member

Interesting. I started actively avoiding the news about 6 months ago.

Calling it ‘News’ is a misnomer. I’m getting old and cynical but the world just trots out the same crap on constant repeat.
    For example:

Maybe the news should focus on why the UK has no real leadership or guidance and as a result absolutely no direction

What part of that would constitute ‘news’?

You cannot avoid the big stories or the really salacious stuff but I don’t, in any way, feel I’m missing anything.

Rio

Notice how quiet the news has gone on the execution of the family in France recently? Or did I just miss the end of that story?

Apparently they’ve run out of clues, which I found quite interesting but it got buried in the “news” by more important things like political party conferences and Jimmy Savile. Am I the only one that finds pre-staged political party events totally un-newsworthy?

Klunk
    Free Member

does not taking this “philosophy” to the extreme lead to the inevitable All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

motozulu
    Free Member

Not in the slightest

Don’t read the papers
    Don’t watch the news
    Never watch live tv.
    Don’t do facebook or twitter

Never feel like I’m missing anything This 😀

I thought it was just me? thought it was an age thing? Stopped reading papers about 3 years ago, can’t stand reality tv and any ‘celebrity goss’ type stuff just has me leaving the room and doing something I’m interested in, even if it’s only reading a bike forum.

Not just me whose an anti-social git then.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Stopped giving a fig about News ages ago….

IMO the only people really interested are those who either make money out of selling News or have such empty dull lives that “being up with the News” and being able to give a full comment on Current Affairs gives them some feeling of importance….

….News I’ve shat it
    😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Does anyone really not give a ******? Really? I agree with Joao, the key is to apply your own personal filters. But fundamental questions relating to current affairs and the notion of “what is the right thing to do” have exercised human thinking throughout history and will continue to do so. This forum is a constant reminder of that.

Ton, isn’t the issue really about how current affairs are presented, manipluted, sensationalised, distorted, exaggerated etc? On that point, I am with you! 24 hour news is a great misnomer. It should be called 24 hour noise.

MussEd
    Free Member

See what you’ve done Ton?

Back to the Faceache/Twatter thingy? I must admit I enjoy both, but I dont go on there for current affairs updates….does anyone? Twitter maybe if you select certain feeds to follow…

On Facebook you do regularly get misspelled, badly punctuated and ill-informed rants about bringing back hanging for paedos/lefties/muslims/benefit spongers though, so in that way it’s just like Singletrackworld but with more pictures of babies….

cardo

Motozulu : Don’t get me started on reality TV…. bike fiddling in the man cave with music on is the preferred option.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

There are some stories that I don’t give a **** about, and others that make me angry, such as the misinformation about the food price increases to come. Yes there have been below-average harvests, there have been such before, and there will be such again. But the real reason that food prices are going to increase is because those speculating spivs, you know, the ones who crashed our economy, have been given untold amounts of taxpayers money via Quantative Easing, and have used that money to speculate on one f the few things that you can’t do without; food.

grum
    Free Member

Wish I followed it less tbh. I agree that 24hr news has a lot to answer for. R4 is the only source of sanity at least some of the time.

IMO the only people really interested are those who either make money out of selling News or have such empty dull lives that “being up with the News” and being able to give a full comment on Current Affairs gives them some feeling of importance….

Whereas you get your feeling of importance by thinking you’re superior to all those people? Why does not following the news have to involve smug condescension of those who do? Oh I forgot, this is STW.

patriotpro
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Ooh look at me! Me! ME!

so shall we call this Singletwatworld for your sake?

That’s how ‘Elma Fudd’ would say it. 🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

To widen the subject slightly. Isn’t it time that the BBC dropped the red and white jungle drums and time signal beep news intro? And how about not sending reporters to the scene to report that there is nothing going on? Can we also have economic news without a backdrop of slowly floating down money? And not repeating statistics in print on screen in such a patronising form?

I know I’m getting old but… I remember when the BBC news was actual news, rather than polically influenced, planned in advance ‘issues’ based reporting; when you could watch a news bulletin and feel as if you’d been informed rather than stunned, numbed and dumbed. Sadly I think it is too late to recover what we have lost, and so we must look for alternative sources of information.

Let’s not start on ITV, Sky, and Channel 5 ‘news’. I don’t think my brain could take it…

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Silly names for silly things–

Faceache- is that offensive ? Twatter- twatterati, twatnav, depends on the context, on a forum such as this i would hope not, in a primary school lesson probably….

druidh
    Free Member

In the context given, it comes across as bit contemptuous. However, if I was to say “I was on Faceache last night” or “I sent you a Twatter message” it would be less so as it would then be apparent I was a user of the service and was therefore merely making fun of the name.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

fair comment druidh, i took the original a bit like that, in the sense that its a non life essential really, but for some it appears to be the opposite,

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Current affairs……..anyone not give a shyte?’ is closed to new replies.