Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Curbar Edge up to Stanage Edge
  • DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’m considering riding from Baslow all the way up to Bamford along the gritstone edge. This would take in Curbar, Froggat, Burbage and Stanage edges, with a couple of small road links.

Anyone done this – how many miles is it, how long might it take, is it fun etc…?

Pook

that’s 50:50 cheeky. when are you planning on doing it?

vertebratetom

Assuming this isn’t a troll, about 20k, 2-3 hours?, lots of fun and a pretty bad idea at the northern end because a) at this time of year, unless you wait until it’s frozen, it’ll be ridiculously soft, easily damaged and hard going and b) the top of Stanage is sensitive access-wise.

A better idea at this time of year might be to cut out Burbage and Stanage by going over Houndkirk and round to the back of Stanage Pole, although that would kind of spoil the ‘edges’ nature of the route.

Garry_Lager

Been meaning to give the edges a whirl, let us know how it goes if you do it. Not the easiest ride to make into a loop – recall thinking that train to grindleford and back from hope might work (from Manchester side)

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Aye, Stanage along the top is quite cheeky, and at the moment it’ll be filthy, and really bleeding obvious you’ve been there.

Best left for a quiet summer evening, eh..?

boxelder

Back in the early 90’s I rode out to Stanage and then along the edge, Higgar, Froggatt, Curbar and back along White Edge(?) on the morning before my final Uni exam. Most relaxed I’ve been in an exam room.
    Wouldn’t do it now though – far too cheeky. Isn’t there a by law there making it illegal?

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies. I used to do Stanage/Burbage a bit in the 90’s when I lived in Sheffied – and thought it was bridleways. And I’d read that Curbar/Froggat now had bridlgeways on them. Hence I was thinking you could do most of it without resorting to footpaths.

I’m not that interested if it does require cheeky routes, that’s partly what I was wanting to know. I was going to do this tomorrow, but riding with a friend who’s got a bad cold, so the ride out will be too much (from Hayfield) – we’ll probably just ride nearer home in the Dark Peak. I must get out though, forecast looks lovely; early mist clearing to sunshine 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Curbar Edge up to Stanage Edge’ is closed to new replies.