Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cube stereo views?
  • larrythelathe
    Free Member

Does anyone have any personnel experience of the 160mm stereo?

I am very tempted but I am not able to get a test ride anywhere ?

Gets good reviews.

Has the much maligned 2013 Fox CTD shocks.

Is expensive.

I nearly bought one.

Looks lovely in the flesh.

Someone on here broke one the other week.

No personal experience apart from sitting astride in a shop.

gavstorie
    Free Member

The one that broke was mine.. Not impressed with Cube at all. their response to the snapped part was shocking and the level of customer service is truly awful.. I am still waiting on a phone call from Cube in Holland.. That was supposed to happen last week

As for the bike.. It is a fantastic machine.. I have the SL version and it is a joy to ride.. The only thing that I think could be improved on is the front forks.. It’s not that they are bad but they are going to take a bit of playing around with to get the best out of them.. Other than that.. (and the fact that mine snapped after 5 weeks).. I love it..

gavstorie
    Free Member

Try Escape Bikes.. I think they have a SS 160 Race in stock

http://www.escapebikeshop.com/

Paul or Henry are the guys to speak to..

timbo678
    Free Member

Yes I have the race & love it!

Light enough for XC duties big enough for all else

Where are you based?

@gavstorie – what broke on yours?

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Hi I am base just south of reading

How did it break are they going to replace it??

Stranga
    Free Member

Also have the SL version here and love it……….had it 5 months and raced n ridden it pretty hard and all good so far, yea the forks are 2013 CTD’s and maybe not the best but I am going to get the 2014 upgrade fitted to them, am hoping gavstorie’s fail was just a one off : /

warpcow
    Free Member

The rear end of Nico Lau’s seemed to be held together with tent pegs and silver tape in the last round of the Enduro World Series. Granted, he’s a bit faster than the average STW’er, but it does make you wonder whether they might have gone a bit too far in trying to lighten the bike.

Stranga
    Free Member

I did see that, but the pro’s snap and crack loads of bikes (Nico has snapped a few lapierres in last few years) also I cant think of many popular makes that I havnt seen cracked examples of in some form or other over the years (Yeti,Trek, Mondraker,Ghost,Lapierre, Commencal, Orange,Morewood to name a few) buy new and make sure they have good warranty backup.

timbo678
    Free Member

I’m in Salisbury but heading to Swinley next thurs if you fancy a spin on it, thanks

boobs

Timbo, Could I come along to Swinley to try too, I’ve been offered a spin around a carpark from snow and rock in Chertsey?

larrythelathe
    Free Member

I think you guys have talked me out of it

gavstorie
    Free Member

Lower rear arm cracked. Cube refused warranty claim and it ended up costing me £150 to repair. I still have no idea what has caused it.. certainly not a crash or and kind of abuse..

Did you get it repaired gav, or buy a new piece?

gavstorie
    Free Member

just bought a new part.. might get the old one repaired as a backup..

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Oops I seem to have bought one!

I will post up my first ride thoughts in a while.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Gavstorie do you get a fair amount of lever travel before the brakes bite?

Also I am surprised how much chain slap I getting even with the type 2 rear Mec?

I got a SL as well I only had time for a quick blast and have to say its a very quick bike staggered how quick it goes up as well.

maxtorque

Chased someone around Les Arcs a month of so ago, he was on a 160mm Stereo, and it certainly wasn’t holding him back! 😉

gavstorie
    Free Member

There is a fair bit of travel on the brakes .. but to be honest.. I like it that way.. I find the brakes are perfect for me…

It is a very fast bike.. sometimes its too fast for my liking 🙂

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Have you helicopter taped yours?

gavstorie
    Free Member

nope.. dont see the point..

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s definitely worth helitaping carbon frames where the cables touch the carbon, particularly gear cables.

I’ve seen very bad damage just from abrasion.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cube stereo views?’ is closed to new replies.