Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cube Stereo – 1 x 10 gearing?
  • ljs1977
    Free Member

I have a 2011 Cube Stereo and love it.

I have purposly tried to keep riding where possible in middle gear on the front, as I would dearly love to de-clutter the bike and go 1 x 10.

This however is my only bike and I am some what apprehensive to make the final move, I know I pretty much never need the largest cog but the granny gear is a nice comfort blanket. Don;t really see the benefit of going 2 x 10.

Has anyone done this in a similar situation? or comments?

Cheers

ojom
    Free Member

If you live somewhere hilly then stick with 2×10 – it’s never a bad thing to have some spare gears…

dharmstrong
    Free Member

My only bike is 1×10 (32 and 11-36) and I don’t regret it. Not yet found any hills that I thought I wish I had a better set of ratios for as 32-36 is a pretty decent gear for a climb. If I have to walk up something with 1×10 then it’s either very steep or I need stronger legs!!

scunny
    Free Member

I’m 1×9 on my only off road bike. I live ride in sheffield/peaks, it’s nearly impossible to find a flat section of road.

There have been a few occasions where i’ve thought it would be handy to have a few easier gears, but i’ve never got off my bike and pushed. Just grit your teeth and grind.

Eventually i’ll stop noticing the extra effort and it’ll just be normal.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Call Matt @ Twelve50 bikes in Frodsham (Cube Dealer(, he’ll happily tell you about his 1 x 10 Cube Stereo Race he used last year and has just taken delivery of 2012 model and will no doubt be doing same again.

PaulD
    Free Member

Just remove the large ring (75-160g) (needing the smaller single-ring nuts+bolts), the front mech (120-200g), cable (50g) and shifter (125g).
    Should take approx 400g off the bike.
    Leave the granny ring and use your heel to kick-down if required.
    A 15-25g alloy granny + 8g bolts is worth keeping for a while to see if you need it.
    You can also remove a few (you work it out) links of chain as required.

PaulD

ljs1977
    Free Member

Call Matt @ Twelve50 bikes in Frodsham (Cube Dealer(, he’ll happily tell you about his 1 x 10 Cube Stereo Race he used last year and has just taken delivery of 2012 model and will no doubt be doing same again.

This was the final nail in the 3 x coffin after seeing his new 2012 SL on the recent mid week vids!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yeah he’s running a 35t fron ring with an 11-36 cassette and a strailine silent guide.

Now Matt is pretty fit but he was doing a bit of pushing on the last Peaks ride we did, make sure it’s for you especially as it’s your only bike.

rick@twelve50bikes

Yup, both of us ran 1×10 this year. I ran 34/34 and ran out of gears only a few times really, mainly on steeper, natural stuff in the Peaks and Lakes. Trail centre climbs and lower level trails were fine, you just have to be prepared to muscle up stuff from time to time.
    An 11-36 cassette with between a 32-34t front would be ideal for most stuff I reckon and occasionally having to push is a very small price to pay for not shipping your chain on rocky downhills!
    Oh, and Steve, weren’t you pushing too – with a full quota of gears 😉

ljs1977
    Free Member

Cheers guys and Rick (just got off the phone to you) most helpful!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup sure was, don’t deny it 😆

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cube Stereo – 1 x 10 gearing?’ is closed to new replies.