Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cube says 'don't use bike on turbo'
  • rascal
    Free Member

Read paperwork that came with new carbon Cube road bike.

Not quite word for word but something along the lines of:

Don’t use on turbo as it stresses the dropouts where the rig attaches to the QR.

Surely the roller itself then takes the load off the axles to a degree?
    Worried that I shouldn’t be using it on the turbo….anyone else had this?
    Genuinely a problem or are they just covering their arse?

scotroutes

Seems a sensible warning. You’ll be applying side-by-side stresses that the frame was not designed for. Probably OK, but they need to cover their arses.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, it was always a worry for some people.

The roller doesn’t take the weight, it’s all on the QR/dropouts and the side to side motion is obviously nothing like what the bikes are designed for.

wwaswas

clamping the drop outs does put strain through the seat and chain stays in a completely different way to normal riding.

I’d either get rollers or take a chance (depending on how much the bike cost…)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Rig? What you attaching to the turbo?

Genuinely a problem or are they just covering their arse?

Most likely the latter.

peteimpreza

“or take a chance”

Don’t , had the issues with exactly this on a bike on a turbo . Stresses through the hanger snapped the hanger screws .

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got an 11 year old carbon Trek which was their lightweight offering of the day, that’s been used on the turbo pretty extensively with no issues.

I try and avoid too much ‘violent’ sprinting, I can imagine it could do some damage.

I’d crack on (no pun intended) but not go too wild myself.

julians
    Free Member

I’ve been using a cube carbon road bike on a turbo trainer for the last couple of years, and its fine so far. But then I am aware that I could generate forces that wouldnt occur when riding on the road , so I do try to be sympathetic to reduce the stress.

I suspect you could quite easily break something if you were wildly swinging the bike from side to side in the turbo.

wwaswas

Go Rock and Roll?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YcVro9KQGQ[/video]

boobs

My Canyon says that too. That’s Aluminium.

freeagent
    Free Member

It amazes me how much my Giant Defy (Aluminium) frame flexes whilst on the Turbo.
    I guess me being 100kG doesn’t help…

I do try to keep it fairly sedate on the turbo and avoid any violent efforts.

DanW
    Free Member

It’s just arse covering

If you look through any bike manual I’ll bet it’ll also say you shouldn’t touch anything on the bike yourself and need a trained chaperon to tighten bolts, Enduro bikes are not intended for drops, suspension has to be serviced every 5 hours….

A similar thread here with some manufacturer (e.g. Crumpton) input on everything being fine.

To quote someone in that thread who conveys my feelings….

If a frame can’t handle a turbo, I don’t want to ride it on the road, simple as that.

I use my carbon bikes extensively on my trainers and never had an issue..

It’s the car drivers, over eager newbies riding in to you and monster pot holes that’ll really crack a frame 😐

Nobby

I’ve been using a carbon Cube on the turbo for 18 months without issue. LBS said some frames can be over stressed if you’re using a turbo where the bike is suspended by the axle & the roller is raised up onto the tyre i.e.

There are others where the weight of the bike & rider is supported by the roller itself such as:

The latter is similar to mine & I no longer get the awful creak that my Tarmac gave on an older turbo of the fixed sort.

Onzadog
    Free Member

For similar reasons, Pace used to say you shouldn’t mount their forks on certain roof racks.

jimdubleyou

LBS said some frames can be over stressed if you’re using a turbo where the bike is suspended by the axle & the roller is raised up onto the tyre i.e.

Interesting – my turbo came with it’s own skewer (which I use).

I’m not sure how having the weight on the wheel is any different to having the weight held by said skewer? Surely both loads go through the dropouts?

wwaswas

Surely both loads go through the dropouts?

But the leverage from a tyre in contact with the ground and the bike/drop outs moving around above it is completely different to that with the drop outs held static.

ferrals
    Free Member

My turbo came with a skewer too, i never switch. I think the reasoning is that if you have a nice skewer you dont wnat to accidentally damage it, but the two skewers look identical to me, and in fact the clamping is on the drop outs not the skewer.

jimdubleyou

But the leverage from a tyre in contact with the ground and the bike/drop outs moving around above it is completely different to that with the drop outs held static.

I was more thinking about the two turbos above – both clamped, both have the load of the bike going through the dropouts?

I get that a clamped dropout is getting different stresses to those on the road.

DT78
    Free Member

Not a cube but my carbon frame started cracking around the BB I think due to turbo use. Replacement had an issue with dropout after turbo use so I now use a steel winter frame
    I avoid stamping down on the pedals but was regularly putting 800+ watts through it

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Yup, the second turbo shown above doesn’t reduce the twisting through the axle that causes the problems discussed.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Get around all these concerns by using an old frame you don’t care about on the turbo. The fact you don’t care much about it reduces the chance of it cracking by 60%.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cube says 'don't use bike on turbo'’ is closed to new replies.