Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 225 total)
  • Cryptocurrencies, Bitcoin etc
  • nedrapier

but centralised to certain big players using the most efficient tech?  How are they getting on?  As far as I’m aware, the big miners aren’t holding, they want to free up cash (real cash, the kind you can buy stuff with) to buy more tech.

hammy7272
    Free Member

£2,500 today.

Can see it going down past 1k now.

bratty

I’m a bit late to this, but about 4 years ago, it was at I dunno 200 to 1000 dollars and I thought, nah, its peaked, then it rose to 20,000 and i though oh crap, i should have, shouldn’t I?

But all the way through I thought that there are only so many Bitcoins, just like there is only so much gold, but like all precious metals there are only so many resources on earth and mining it is not so easy, and its even harder to mine outside of the earth so supply is to an extent limited. Cryptos? Well if one runs out there is theoretically as many as anyone wants to create, and as many have near-enough limitless issues then it would be the same as if anyone could produce gold from their back garden given enough time and digging – what would gold cost then?
    And there was the argument that cryptos were not controlled by governments and therefore somehow more trustworthy. That was b*llocks too – I’d rather trust in a level of control by several governments (of some level of accountability) than in unknown players working to run a ungoverned currency apparently used for money laundering and crime.

So working off this thinking, I missing the chance to make a lot and I missed the chance to loose even more.

I don’t regret it.

My bet is that the only cryptos to survive in the long term will be those who somehow find a level of semi-official regulation and backing, and this will probably be those which will end up tightly regulated and tied to larger financial bodies.

sweepy
    Free Member

Mine went up about 500%, then back down to pretty much where it started, then I went back to using it for what after all is its primary purpose- buying drugs off the internet.

footflaps

Bitcoin is completely doomed. The current ownership (vast majority owned by less than 20 whales), means it will hasn’t achieved the mass adoption necessary to be used as a currenry. It’s just a speculative asset manipulated by a small cohort of early adopters who are on paper worth billions, but if they ever attempt to cash out, will crash the value to (near) zero….

beiciwr64
    Free Member

“Bitcoin is completely doomed”

Well,not just yet,it’s back up to $7000 and it doesn’t look like stopping.

rone

Yeah I’ve no idea why people called it over at the time. Sure it went parabolic and it will correct again but it’s far from over.

Alt coins don’t impress though.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Wouldn’t surprise me with an ATH this year or the next.
    Alt season just starting,hang in there.

torsoinalake
    Free Member
    tinribz
    Free Member

Practally all online currency trading platforms are total BS that just track inc FOREX, Bitcoin is no different. If that worries you just buy some instead.

That hacking thing was days ago and appears to have had zero impact.

kentishman
    Free Member

< I took some of the bitcoin I had and put it onto sun exchange to install solar pannels in SA and get a cut of the profits from the energy payed in bitcoin. Seem to be working rather well so far.

andrewh
    Free Member

Client of mine took all of the money out of his company account the week before the EU referendum and bought Bitcoins with the lot.
    Pound dropped when we voted to leave, sold them all and back into sterling.
    Made a very tidy profit.
    Brave.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Bitcoin back above 10,000,on course for an ATH

davros

By on course, you mean its current price has to double. And who knows whether it will do that? No one.

croe
    Free Member

I see facebook is getting into the game.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Guess the ATH,was a bridge to far on this occasion,$14,000 looks like a top for now.might retrace down to $7000 before another attempt, at the ATH.
    However this is crypto, anything can happen!.

footflaps

Completely insane price rise, if Libra takes off, no one will remember what Bitcoin was. Just shows how worthless it really is…

jimmy

Completely insane price rise

What’s a sane price rise?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I had an old bank account floating around with just under a grand in it, which I thought would be a really good idea to invest (using the term loosely) in Bitcoin with, just to see what happened. I bought just before Xmas last year. Complete luck, rather than any sort of judgement. Given the price currently, I shall be cashing out. No idea how the process works really – so it’s all a learning curve 🙂

footflaps

What’s a sane price rise?

For bitcoin I’d say about -100% would be a sane price rise…

beiciwr64
    Free Member

” Just shows how worthless it really is…”
    Wow! Don’t hold back on your Bitcoin hatred!
    Work in banking or did you buy at the top?
    Anyway,i think it’s great and here to stay.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Bitcoin back above 10,000,on course for an ATH

Bitcoin surpasses $20,000 to hit new high
    https://news.sky.com/story/bitcoin-surpasses-20-000-to-hit-new-high-12164346

chevychase

Proven store of value. Institutional investors moving in.

Work in banking. Been giving them shit that we haven’t developed a trading platform, but the bank is hard into crypto. Just not advertising it (yet).

My stash is worth about $30k, from a 3k investment.

And investment is was – not gamble. If you know anything about the tech it’s more trustworthy than banks (the criminality argument makes me laugh my ass off – once you enforce KYC regulations then anyone can read any transaction – what’s more transparent than that! Try getting any bank, anywhere, to open up it’s ledger for you to read and see what happens).

Anyway. We’ll see where it is in about 10 years, when I intend to flog it whatever the price – or pay off the remainder of my mortgage with it directly. Dependent on how it’s being used then.

But one thing’s for sure. It’s here to stay.

martinhutch

Welcome, new, entirely non-shill forum members.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 225 total)

The topic ‘Cryptocurrencies, Bitcoin etc’ is closed to new replies.